Creep Feeder

Help Support Steer Planet:

Rocky Hill Simmental

This might seem like a strange question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Is there a trick to getting your calves to eat out of a creep feeder?

We just got this creep feeder last winter and the calves last year loved it. We used to always feed them on the other side of an electric fence so they could crawl under it and eat and the mamas couldn't get any. We wanted to keep feed with them all the time because the ended up spending half of the day waiting for a bucket of feed. They loved the creep feeder.
We got rid of these calves in late summer but we have two 4 month olds left that take no interest in the creep feeder. We now have a newborn baby and I would like for him to start eating out of it too but he's still pretty small.

I set the smartlick minerals kind of close to the feeder so maybe when the mamas are licking that, the babies could find it, but no luck so far.

We're going to have some more calves soon and that feed really made a difference in our cattle last winter. I would like these to do the same. Is their a trick?

Thanks. :)

Doc

If I don't have some in the group that is already going in, then I will put some real sweet smelling feed in there first ,then switch them over to my regular feed. I'll sometimes put some good orchard or bermuda grass hay on the ground in the feeder also. 

Show Heifer

I never used to have luck either when I had my limis....genetics????? ;D

Anyway, this year, I put out a creep and put the salt and mineral feeders close to it, then I put a sweet lick block inside the creep for the calves. And it seemed like it took a bit but once they found it, they took right off!!!
So maybe patience? And a bit of luck!! :)

Rocky Hill Simmental

Thanks, everyone. :) I'll have to remember that. I have some smart lick and orchard grass so I could use that. Next week when I buy feed I might look at some molasses and salt.

We thought that they were eating it a few weeks ago because a lot of it was gone. It wasn't 5 minutes later, our stud horse walked over there and was reaching his neck over the bars and licking the feed up. We took him out of the pasture so he couldn't do that anymore.  :D

Rocky Hill Simmental

I think that he might have been. One time I saw him bite a cow on the poll. Poor cow...

Anyway, thanks. :) This evening when I go look at the cows I'm going to try the hay thing.

Our 2 week old smokey calf has been hanging around the feeder but he hasn't walked in yet. Although, I'm hoping the older two find out about it as well because in a few months I'd like to sell them.

Thanks again!