Custom Show Cattle Care

Help Support Steer Planet:

DSC

I know this has probably been asked before but I guess I will ask again as I cannot find it. A few operations have approached me about taking care of their show string at my place. We already have the whole set up, pens, runs, show barn, cooler, etc. What would you charge for something like this? I have an idea but want to make sure I'm in my right mind. Haha. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

frostback

I don't have a magic number for you but just some ideas. I have got a few heifers ready for a guy now for a couple years during Denver and this is what I do for him. There is a flat rate per head to pay for the pen and water and such. Then I keep track and only charge him for what grain his eats. Hay has been costly some years so he has brought his own one year or else I again just tell him how much a bale is going for in our area and keep track of what his eats. Now because he has become a friend and not just a client I charge him so much a hour when I work his. I usually have a couple of my own at the same time. Then on show or sale day about $100 a day. Depending on how many. I also just split the bedding cost per head, again because they are not all his. Also keep in mind truck and trailer costs, gas and wear and tear on your show equipment. Write it all down and get it in writing and signed when all is agreed on.

DSC

Thanks for the info. Does anyone else have any ideas what others charge or what you have charged? Thanks

Tallcool1

I understand you are asking a fairly straight forward question, and I hate to make it difficult by asking a question.

Are you talking about a "string" of short haired breeding cattle, or are you talking about growing some hair on some show cattle?

To me, your price should be heavily dependent upon the LABOR you are providing as well as how much electricity you are going to use.  Our cooler is NOT cheap to run.

Please provide a couple details and I will give you my opinion.

DSC

They will be mostly Maine, Maintainers, and Chi breeding heifers with the occasional bull. We will be hitting most of the majors and our state fair. I know what I'm going to charge for the shows and they will be paying all the expenses at the show. I just need to know what to charge on a daily basis for the work at home. Thanks

sizzler14

A) Send them a monthly feed bill (Grain and Hay)
B) I would see your  electric bill and water bill now. Whatever the bill goes up after the first month, I would charge along with water
C) What do you feel your time is worth? if you are working say 2 hours/day per calf. You feel that you are excelled in preparing show cattle etc then determine your price. I have done this in the past and charged $300/month per calf. With hay feed and electric they usually had around $550/month wrapped up in a calf. This is just what I have done. I understand 550 is expensive but so is the feed and electric. and i felt $10/day for my hard work was well reasonable

This is just what I did for you an example

Tallcool1

DiamondCattleCo said:
A) Send them a monthly feed bill (Grain and Hay)
B) I would see your  electric bill and water bill now. Whatever the bill goes up after the first month, I would charge along with water
C) What do you feel your time is worth? if you are working say 2 hours/day per calf. You feel that you are excelled in preparing show cattle etc then determine your price. I have done this in the past and charged $300/month per calf. With hay feed and electric they usually had around $550/month wrapped up in a calf. This is just what I have done. I understand 550 is expensive but so is the feed and electric. and i felt $10/day for my hard work was well reasonable

This is just what I did for you an example

BINGO!!!!

I agree...maybe it seems expensive.  If I had one that I felt was good enough, and I didn't have the expertise or the time to spend to do it RIGHT, I would absolutely pay the $550 with no hesitation. 

The only thing I would add, not that it has been omitted, is that hoof trimming is extra.  You guys are the best of the best.  Charge for your services.  People are coming to you for a reason and it isn't because you are nice guys.  These aren't 4-H families with $1,500 calves that have no clue and want some direction.  That is different.  You already reach inside your heart for these people every day.  These are people with expectations that WILL hold you accountable. 

mocharolais

We have paid $5 per day + plus feed.  However we came up over and walked and worked with them.