Daily Routine

Help Support Steer Planet:

garett

We have had several topics about hair care and what not but now, Now that the warm weather is upon us, and so is shedding weather.  What is everyone's daily routine for keeping your cattle cool and what products are used daily on your cattle? Also what is the best way to get rid of all that dead hair?

BCCC

best way to get rid of dead hair is to use a grill brick.

Daily hair care, I use a mixture of vinagar, kleen sheen, and fly spray.

I try to rinse 2 a day during the school year, and 3 times during the summer.

showgirl2010

I have show sheen but its the same.  So anyways do you put half vin. half KS?  Do you pour it down their backs or do you spray it on?

Jamie

BCCC

I dont actually use kleen sheen i use some concentrate form valley vet(cant think of the name right now)  I normally mix it half and half, or add some infusiom 23 in to it. Cattlejunkey had a recipe a while back that looked good. it was like 3 oz sheen concentrate, 3 cups vinagar, and the rest water, and it would be just like kleen sheen

I spray it in, let it set, comb, and then blow

garett

I know this sounds dumb or whatever, but do you use a certain kind of vinegar or what?

Garett

mp

I use 1/2  wonder sheen (hamms version of kleen sheen) and half vinegar. But I was wondering if you mixed gojo and water together do you think it would be the same as kleen sheen?

showgirl2010

Garett said:
I know this sounds dumb or whatever, but do you use a certain kind of vinegar or what?

Garett

I dont think it is a dumb question because I was getting ready to ask the question myself.  So do you guys use white vinegar?

Jamie

shortyjock89

showgirl2010 said:
Garett said:

Garett

I dont think it is a dumb question because I was getting ready to ask the question myself.  So do you guys use white vinegar?

Jamie

Yeah, I just use good ol white vinegar when I make my mix of stuff.

shortyjock89

Yep, half and half.  We spray it on...pouring it on seems like kind of a waste, and Kleen Sheen isn't cheap lol...It's really good for leg hair that needs to be trained, and the vinegar is good for getting rid of dandruff.

mp

exactly kleen sheen aint cheap, so what do you think about the gojo and water idea. Seems to me like it would be the same. Gojo would condition their hair and you dont have to wash it off, and you could spray it through a spray bottle. I dont know just an idea, anything to save money with the price of feed and fuel.

shortyjock89

mp said:
exactly kleen sheen aint cheap, so what do you think about the gojo and water idea. Seems to me like it would be the same. Gojo would condition their hair and you dont have to wash it off, and you could spray it through a spray bottle. I dont know just an idea, anything to save money with the price of feed and fuel.

Well, I don't think it would be a bad idea.  How bout you mix up a bit of it and see how it does?

showgirl2010

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Yep, half and half.  We spray it on...pouring it on seems like kind of a waste, and Kleen Sheen isn't cheap lol...It's really good for leg hair that needs to be trained, and the vinegar is good for getting rid of dandruff.

Well I thought so, but my dad wouldn't listen.  (lol)

Jamie

shortyjock89

(lol)...wellyou know how dads can be...I would try to get him convinced to let you s-pray it in, or you may run into two problems-
1. You'll go through LOTS of Kleen Sheen, and that can add up.
2. You might run into a build-up issue, and that's never good.

Jill

We rinse in the morning and put them standing in front of the fans for a couple of hours, pink oil them, comb it in, blow it and let them down.  In the evening we use Kleen Sheen/Infusium mixture comb and blow it in and turn them out.
We have a cooler for when it gets really warm, but before that we used a mister system in front of the fans and rinsed 4 times a day to keep them cool, biggest thing it to keep it as dark as possible.

showgirl2010

Ya I will tell him about the money issue OFS that will get his attention.

The cooler rooms are for growing hair right?  Because we never use cooler rooms and they dont have misters or fans in front of them just get washed twice a day and lots of cool water.

Jamie

shortyjock89

Yeah coolers are for growing hair.  Rinsing three times a day and putting them under fans all day will go a LONG ways in your quest for hair.  That, and lots of brushing and blowing, and you should have some fuzzy calves.  It seems to work pretty good for us.  We don't have a cooler, and we still end up growing hair pretty good in the summer.

Jill

One thing to point out here, genetics is 90% of having hair, if you don't have a calf with hair, all the work in the world isn't going to grow hair.  There are some cattle that once they lose the fuzzy baby hair just don't get anything  back, you can usually tell by how hairy the ears are, if they are slick your generally wasting your time.

Lucky U Cattle

Well my routine:

Rinse Twice a day and brush brush brush! You cant get hair on one unless you brush them! Even if you have a cold box brushing is the key!

Then I "dip" them with Kleen Sheen, Fly Spray, Vinegar, and Mouth Wash (Mouth Wash is to keep them from getting ringworm if you are showing them)

Then I brush and brush and brush some more!

As far as keeping them cold... in the summer I rinse with ice water! I just fill a bunch of oxy explosion buckets 3/4 full of water and put them in the freezer, when I go out to rinse I grab on and put it in a bucket of tap water, by the time that you are done rising for your 20 minutes your ice should be melted and you have a bucket of ice water to pour on their back!

Also be sure that they are under fans all day long! Another inmportant thing, even if you dont have a cooler, is to keep them in a cool dark place! If they stay in a dark room all day it helps their bodies to think that it is winter and they will be more likely to grow hair!

Good Luck!ß