Dairy cow question...sorry!

Help Support Steer Planet:

common sense

O.K., I have a Freddy question that I just know it's going to pain me to ask but does anybody out there have any experience with dairy cows?  I have a Jersey that I hand milk and then let her calf suck.  I just weaned her calf and I need to milk her alone and more often.  The problem is that I injured my hand and it's not going so well.  It would really be wonderful to find some kind of milking machine for one cow.  Is there such a thing? Something simple that I can use that won't cost me more than the cow is worth?  I don't know a thing about them.  Any suggestions?  Thanks...and quit laughing!!!

BJN

Everyone please ignore this thread.  I think my wife's finger injury has caused her brain to go numb.

common sense

BJN said:
Everyone please ignore this thread.  I think my wife's finger injury has caused her brain to go numb.
Very funny dear.  Just remember YOU might have to milk the cow if I can't!!! 

P.S. Actually ignore Brad's thread. He's working in the office today instead of helping me do chores...AND MILK THE COW!!!

Telos

I don't think that's a Freddy question at all. I have a new Dyson Vacuum Cleaner called the Animal that might work on your cow. It has a powerful suck. Just use the extension hose then turn it on and off, again and again and it should simulate one of those milking machines.

BCCC

I saw one the other day for mares, and sheep, so maybe they have one for a cow, or maybe the mare one would work??

common sense

Telos said:
I don't think that's a Freddy question at all. I have a new Dyson Vacuum Cleaner called the Animal that might work on your cow. It has a powerful suck. Just use the extension hose then turn it on and off, again and again and it should simulate one of those milking machines.

O.K. Jack, now THAT'S funny!  I am just thinking that milk contamination might be a slight issue.  I haven 't been keeping up on the threads lately but it looks like everyone is keeping their sense of humor.

common sense

BCCC said:
I saw one the other day for mares, and sheep, so maybe they have one for a cow, or maybe the mare one would work??

BCCC thanks!  I just googled that and found something that might work just great and doesn't cost a fortune!  Thanks so much you guys...and you to Brad! (lol) 

common sense

duck213 said:
http://www.agriview.com/articles/2007/07/05/livestock_news/livestock01.txt

its the udderly ez milker
Yeah, that's the one.  That looks too cool.  Do you have one?  Do you like it?  Hey, it might even help to get my hand back into shape; physical therapy!  LOL.

BCCC

duck213 said:
http://www.agriview.com/articles/2007/07/05/livestock_news/livestock01.txt

its the udderly ez milker
Thats the one I was talking about also!! I am gona order one, see if it works on pigs, if so it would help alot and maybe get the runt of the litter back on tract with the rest

BCCC

zach said:
pig milk? good luck marketing that to the consumer lol
hahah not hardley!!! With almost every litter there is a runt pig so if you feed him and only him extra milk you can get him bigger so he can compete for milk along with the others (thumbsup)

Cowboy

Dang it CS -- you are about a month late in asking.

I was raised on a Jersey dairy farm, and one of the very few things I was able to save from those early years was a complete intact and working Surge milker, comlete with infations and vacuum lines, pulsators -- everything. All It needed was some new gaskets for the pump -- and a makeshift milk line.

A month or so ago, we had a customer here who seen it in the shed -- he was emphatic about getting it from me -- so I begrudeingly sold it to him. He is a happy camper today -- says it works like no other -- and milks two cows a day with it.

DANG -- I am sorry I never thought of little OLD you up there --- me BAD

Brad -- you may condolences -- must be that the sun is at a bad angle today -- she may just need a bigger HAT! hehehe

CHEERS -- and sorry again, that would fit you perfectly -- I can still here the sound of the pulsators clicking away all those years ago -- makes me miss the good old days! Take care of the Jersey, they are special!

Terry

PS -- answer the phone - hehehehe

Telos

So there Brad... Goes to show, there is no such thing as a question too stupid.    ;D ;D ;D

On a serious note... My good friend Justin Struck told me yesterday that you are putting a couple of his calves in the your sale. Sounds like it's going to be an awesome sale with great cattle. Hope I can make it up there.

justintime

If this was on my place ..... and I had a Jersey cow that I hand milked .... and I had hurt my hand, the answer to this problem would be fairly simply. I would sell the jersey cow,and calf, hopefully to a neighbour, and buy some milk from him... or I would buy it from the local store. Actually I probably would do the same thing if my hand was not hurt.... in fact I know I would. The money from the cow and the savings in feed she would eat, would probably pay for the milk I need to buy ... for a long time!

I wonder what is worse.... trying to milk a cow with a sore hand.... or trying to wash a milking machine with a sore hand?????? HMMMMMMMMMM  lol

common sense

justintime said:
If this was on my place ..... and I had a Jersey cow that I hand milked .... and I had hurt my hand, the answer to this problem would be fairly simply. I would sell the jersey cow,and calf, hopefully to a neighbour, and buy some milk from him... or I would buy it from the local store. Actually I probably would do the same thing if my hand was not hurt.... in fact I know I would. The money from the cow and the savings in feed she would eat, would probably pay for the milk I need to buy ... for a long time!

I wonder what is worse.... trying to milk a cow with a sore hand.... or trying to wash a milking machine with a sore hand?????? HMMMMMMMMMM   lol

OK, so I know there are so economic issues here.  Do you really think that my husband hasn't tried to point that out to me?  However, how do you argue with "Peace of mind"?  I used to have this great mule (NOT A DONKEY!!)  that just re centered me at the end of a long day.  It didn't matter how exhausted I was I always felt better when I was around her.  She was indeed what my husband termed "an expensive hay head" but she helped me straighten out my day many times.  This silly cow, Ginger, is the most soothing creature to be around.  When my day is completely upside down I can plop myself down on a bucket, lay my head on her side and start milking.  In minutes she is chewing her cud with her eyes closed and squirting milk in perfect rhythem to some song that's jogging through my brain.  It's just a great feeling and I actually love the milk.  It's great in coffee and on my Cocoa Puffs.  I have a standing order from the "townies" this fall so that they can make some kind of cheese that requires Jersey milk.  The farm cats think I am swell. My neighbors, which coincidentally are my parents, get to sit in their yard chairs and listen to the soft clanging of Ginger's bell as she grazes the pasture. With the exception of my husband, everyone is just a little happier with Ginger around. 

Now I could sit on my couch all evening watching tv and squeezing a rubber ball to make my finger bend but I would much rather be sitting in the pasture on my bucket listening to Ginger's cowbell and the sound of milk filling my milk pail.  The cost of a psychiatrist to help make me feel this way?  Now THAT would be PRICELESS!!  LOL!!!

Cowboy

Jealousy is overwhelming me -- this is truely toooooooooooooooooo close to home! I can still feel and hear and smell my first little Jersey -- Cybil -- when I was only 4! Only difference is that SHE liked to kick the crap out of me every single day at least once! Once she got me though, she would stand and lick me to say she was sorry -- dang cow!

I know what ya mean though, they sure do grow on ya!!! As did Sally. If you sell the cow this time, you'll be sad twice as long!

Have fun, you owe it to yourself!

Terry
<cowboy>

justme

OK here's my theory commonsense...men (no offiense guys) have there little "hobbies" too like tractors, cars, trucks, ect.  Not sure what Brad's is.  If yours is that little old Jersey and your not hurting for money then you should be able to keep her.  Heck at $4.35 for a gallon of milk I wish I was closer and I'd help you. So....she is justified hehehe

I gave in and let him sell our little goat Buster.  She was a dandy and always good for comic relief.  I'm still mad I gave in and let him get rid of her.  Whatelse would run thru my yard bouncing and farting?  Eric could do that, but he wasn't as cute as the goat! lol

Good luck!

knabe

justme said:
  Whatelse would run thru my yard bouncing and farting?  Eric could do that, but he wasn't as cute as the goat! lol

Good luck!

ditto.  but can goats read the newspaper?