Damn Proud in Louisville On display

Help Support Steer Planet:

J

JTM

I have to chuckle at a lot of this. It was very clear that Damn Proud was popping his pasterns pretty severely and was not tracking 100%. Now IMO, if he was tracking and his pasterns were not popping, he would have easily have beaten Sullivans bull and quite possibly be Grand or Reserve overall. The judge made them walk a second time before picking division because of this. Sullivans bull didn't track 100% either. The only reason Cates did not win was because HBO was not moving off of his right front very well. The judge finally mentioned the obvious before he picked Grand overall. The bull show was pretty sad IMO for soundness. Soundness was at the bottom of these judges priorities. Overall, I'm just kind of tired of these really large, harder doing, 1,000 lbs at 8 months old bulls winning all of the time...

Eggbert

JTM - I agree damn proud did pop his pasterns...but have to plead ignorance as to how big an issue that is.  I dont have much experience in seeing that problem.  I did notice it in several heifers in the shorthorn futurity sale.  Is it to be expected when on hard pavement for many days?  Is it common in those cattle with weak pasterns?  It is certainly preferable to those that extremely straght with no flex.  So in that regard id prefer a little popping versus no flex or angle to back legs.  I watched him closely and thought that he did hit his stride.

You certainly hit the nail on the head in regards to the bigger problem being that "8 month"* old calves weighing 1000 pounds, etc.  That also explains why 3.2 was the lowest BW EPD for a class winning bull. 

sue

RC had a damn proud  herf colored heifer in the Early Bird sale this past fall . I thought she was pretty neat... Can you post this picture?  How did she sell and was she as good as the picture?

Hoosier

sue said:
RC had a damn proud  herf colored heifer in the Early Bird sale this past fall . I thought she was pretty neat... Can you post this picture?  How did she sell and was she as good as the picture?

She sold for 5k I think going to Brandon Bird and Mike Huston.  She's goin to be a steer making machine.  Really stout, moderate, big middled.  Not huge boned but plenty adequate.  I was at the sale and helped Ron and Christy at Louisville and Damn Proud and the 5 daughters that were there garnered a lot of attention.  He is stamping them with a nice showring look, clubby enough but still really functional.  Damn Proud was probably the most unique shorthorn bull I've ever seen as a coming 3 year old, being super stout, soft made, and really sound getting out and reaching on both ends really well.  By the time he made it to the show ring he had been standing and walking on hard ground for 4 days so he may not have shown that soundness as well as possible, but i suppose if I weighed a ton and had to walk on concrete for 4 days i wouldn't be moving to the best of my ability either.  I am no shorthorn guru, don't pretend to be, and don't own a horn cow or any calves, but Damn Proud is the kind of bull that would get me interested in using some shorthorn genetics.  I will attach the sale photo of that Proud/herf heifer, I don't have any of her from the show.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 196

Ohio1

Hoosier said:
sue said:

She sold for 5k I think going to Brandon Bird and Mike Huston.  She's goin to be a steer making machine.  Really stout, moderate, big middled.  Not huge boned but plenty adequate.  I was at the sale and helped Ron and Christy at Louisville and Damn Proud and the 5 daughters that were there garnered a lot of attention.  He is stamping them with a nice showring look, clubby enough but still really functional.  Damn Proud was probably the most unique shorthorn bull I've ever seen as a coming 3 year old, being super stout, soft made, and really sound getting out and reaching on both ends really well.  By the time he made it to the show ring he had been standing and walking on hard ground for 4 days so he may not have shown that soundness as well as possible, but i suppose if I weighed a ton and had to walk on concrete for 4 days i wouldn't be moving to the best of my ability either.  I am no shorthorn guru, don't pretend to be, and don't own a horn cow or any calves, but Damn Proud is the kind of bull that would get me interested in using some shorthorn genetics.  I will attach the sale photo of that Proud/herf heifer, I don't have any of her from the show.
She sold for 8500

pweaver

That is correct, she sold for $8500 to Bird & Huston.  The 5 Damn Proud heifers in the RC sale avg. $6200.  One, that sold below the avg., won her early Feb. class at Louisville.  We have two club calf cows bred to DP, Hannibal and Get It Done daughters.  Plus we stuck a couple straws in a herd we AI for.  Red roan, black, white, purple - he's pretty good whatever the color!

J

JTM

Eggbert said:
JTM - I agree damn proud did pop his pasterns...but have to plead ignorance as to how big an issue that is.  I dont have much experience in seeing that problem.  I did notice it in several heifers in the shorthorn futurity sale.  Is it to be expected when on hard pavement for many days?  Is it common in those cattle with weak pasterns?  It is certainly preferable to those that extremely straght with no flex.  So in that regard id prefer a little popping versus no flex or angle to back legs.  I watched him closely and thought that he did hit his stride.

You certainly hit the nail on the head in regards to the bigger problem being that "8 month"* old calves weighing 1000 pounds, etc.  That also explains why 3.2 was the lowest BW EPD for a class winning bull.  
Eggbert, I agree that it is probably not as big of an issue as having no flex or angle. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has had experience with this and using the bull on a lot of cows. I don't claim to know that much about it either. I had a show heifer that got docked for doing that at a show. I actually bought her from RC which is funny because I'm certain there is no correlation between the two except for the show cattle genetics. I still have this cow but she has had a number of problems with her hooves and foot rot. In my opinion Shorthorns have a big problem with hoof health. I'm not saying that DProud would have these issues but I'm just stating my experience with popping pasterns. Now that I'm saying all of this I wonder if anyone really cares...  (lol) They are show cattle after all. Hence why you see the bull to the left in my avatar.

oakview

Shorthorns have a big problem with hoof health?  49 years and I haven't noticed.  The only foot rot I've treated in the past 18 months was on a friend's black heifer he sent to run with my bull.  Maybe I should have blamed it on the Angus, but I never thought of the correlation.

J

JTM

oakview said:
Shorthorns have a big problem with hoof health?  49 years and I haven't noticed.  The only foot rot I've treated in the past 18 months was on a friend's black heifer he sent to run with my bull.  Maybe I should have blamed it on the Angus, but I never thought of the correlation.
Maybe I should have been more clear. Shorthorn show cattle of the past dozen years or so. I can't really say past that and that is coming from my own experience and hearing from several others. Oakview, I believe that you have selected a bit different than the show winners over the years and If I remember right, you are actually culling on performance in the field instead of in the show ring. Maybe my experience is an outlier but I'm just speaking from my experience and what I have heard. I'm curious of your continued thoughts but maybe we should discuss on another topic?

lcattleco.

Damn proud can raise a good cow prospect too.  Here is a damn proud x dam is a 15 year old wernacres wrangler (ccs stampede son).  She is for sale

Attachments

• dp2.jpg
    dp2.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 239

Ohio1

I haven't seen a bad calf out of him yet. Think he will be in Denver?