Day from hell with market steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Diamond G

We havent been able to get our hands on my sons market steer since weigh in 3 weeks ago. the buddy steer we put in with him turned out to be a demon and our steer stayed with him. They were in a 1 acre pasture

The other day we noticed the halter (with lead dragging) was getting snug and decided enough was enough. my husband and son went to to push them to the gate and towards the cow pens. well somehow demon rammed our steer and pushed him through the wire fence and into the herd. We raced into the other pasture and were trying to herd him back with the truck when somehow the truck ran over the leadrope trapping our steer. My son ran to get out other truck and ropes, while we were waiting the steer kept pressure on the rope and of course it was a control halter so the chain stayed tight. his breathing was loud. my son got back with the truck and my husband tied a lariat to the end of the ledarope sticking out from under the tire and the other end to the trailer ball on the truck. we then SLOWLY started to drag him back. he of course resisted and fought and twice went down, eyes rollling back into his head. we though for sure he was going to die. we used buckets of water to cool him down and everytime he got up we slowly worked out way to the pens. 2 hours and 250 yards later we got him there. Took the halter off and my son spent and hour calming him down and petting him.

he will now stay in the pens and not return to his pasture. we are hoping he will still eat well alone but if not we will find the calmest heifer we can and put her in. my son can close her in another section when he works his steer. He seemed calm and breathing normally by the time we left. Hoping he eats and drinks tonite and we dont find a dead steer in the morning

This is our first market steer, used to just raising commercial beef. This has been one heck of a learning experience

this was taken an hour after getting him to the pens. he was rested enough to ram my son into the fence a couple times before letting him touch him so were hoping this means he will be ok. another reason we needed to seperate him in because as you can see hes looking a bit lean. we think the demon was eating most of the feed. kuckily we are only 3 weeks into the project so we should be able to get him back on track

IMG_20121019_182538.jpg

OH Breeder

sounds like you are took your time getting him back to the pen. 1 acre pasture seems a bit much for fat calf. I would find another calf in your herd that you know has a calmer disposition and stick him in there. They always seem to do better with another pen mate. Looks like your pen is sturdy enough that maybe the way to keep him.
We have been at this thing since I was a kid. I have learned something every year. I don't think you ever know enough. Goodluck.

DL

Diamond G said:
We havent been able to get our hands on my sons market steer since weigh in 3 weeks ago. the buddy steer we put in with him turned out to be a demon and our steer stayed with him. They were in a 1 acre pasture

The other day we noticed the halter (with lead dragging) was getting snug and decided enough was enough. my husband and son went to to push them to the gate and towards the cow pens. well somehow demon rammed our steer and pushed him through the wire fence and into the herd. We raced into the other pasture and were trying to herd him back with the truck when somehow the truck ran over the leadrope trapping our steer. My son ran to get out other truck and ropes, while we were waiting the steer kept pressure on the rope and of course it was a control halter so the chain stayed tight. his breathing was loud. my son got back with the truck and my husband tied a lariat to the end of the ledarope sticking out from under the tire and the other end to the trailer ball on the truck. we then SLOWLY started to drag him back. he of course resisted and fought and twice went down, eyes rollling back into his head. we though for sure he was going to die. we used buckets of water to cool him down and everytime he got up we slowly worked out way to the pens. 2 hours and 250 yards later we got him there. Took the halter off and my son spent and hour calming him down and petting him.

he will now stay in the pens and not return to his pasture. we are hoping he will still eat well alone but if not we will find the calmest heifer we can and put her in. my son can close her in another section when he works his steer. He seemed calm and breathing normally by the time we left. Hoping he eats and drinks tonite and we dont find a dead steer in the morning

This is our first market steer, used to just raising commercial beef. This has been one heck of a learning experience

this was taken an hour after getting him to the pens. he was rested enough to ram my son into the fence a couple times before letting him touch him so were hoping this means he will be ok. another reason we needed to seperate him in because as you can see hes looking a bit lean. we think the demon was eating most of the feed. kuckily we are only 3 weeks into the project so we should be able to get him back on track

I think there are several lessons here - the most important being (perhaps) when you get a new animal for a kid to show try to set the animal up for success not failure - leaving a new animal you intend to show in a 1 acre field with a control halter is a recipe for disaster.

I would also suggest that your "demon" steer did not purposely push the steer in with the cows but was trying to get away from you and the steer happened to be in the way - rushing and running and dragging are really not the best ways to deal with cattle - if I understand your description I would have cut the lead rope and let the steer chill and gather him up calmly later rather than drag him thinking he was going to die

I understand that things happen but most of the time when there is a mess like you describe it is the humans not the cattle that are at fault - Temple Grandin and others have some good information on reading cattle and cattle handling that might be helpful to you - good luck with the steer