Desperate need of help with open wounds due to halter breaking!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Shortytyre

I showed heifers 10 yrs ago and this is the first year my kids first year to show! My uncle always broke my calves so this is my first year to do it on my own and my hubby don't know crap about cattle!  When I picked up my calves, the seller ran them through a chute and put the rope halters on! Well I have had to take the halter off if my steer and put a chain halter in cause it was to tight and he stopped eating and had huge open wounds on the top of his nose! I tied him up for about 30 minutes each day for the last few days and he had open wounds behind his ears and today  he pulled back and now he has a huge open hash under his chin and its bleeding! I untied him and in latched the rope! What do I do?????  I'm in panic mode! Do u just completely remove the halter all together?? Thanks for any help

ejoe326

Yes get everything off of him until he is healed up reasonably well.  When are you planning on showing him?

Did you tie him up with the chain halter?  Is he broke at all to tie? 

Shortytyre

Our first show is sept 12!  I have been letting him eat and attaching the lead rope to his halter then, then when he is done I would walk him and he actually will walk great!  When I tie him, he will sometimes stand there but for some reason he fought the post like crazy today! When I seem that he cut himself in the chain, I immediately untied him and took the lead rope off! I just want to cry cause I'm scared he won't get well enough for me to work with his feet in time for the show!

garett

Yes get that halter off and let it heal! You might not be able to tie him up for while, but at least while he's eating get your stick out and scratch all over him, and if he'll let you get a comb on him too.

Shortytyre

Thank y'all so much for your help!  I'm fixing to take it off now!  I know there is a purple medicated spray that people have used for wounds,(can't remeber the name if it) but should I out some of that on his wounds also?

cbcr

If you have "Cut Heal" available, it comes in a spray bottle, aerosol can or an ointment, use it. http://www.cut-heal.com/C_multi_care_spray.htm

It keeps the cut from scabbing over but lets wound heal.  Also if you have some way that you can do it, take and trickle cold water on the cuts for about 15 minutes each day.  this will also promote healing.

Using the cut heal and hydra therapy will help heal and also most of the time the wound will heal and the hair will grow back in the animals color.  Sometimes other antiseptic sprays, while good, when healing occurs, the hair will come back in white.

BTDT

Shortytyre said:
Our first show is sept 12!  I have been letting him eat and attaching the lead rope to his halter then, then when he is done I would walk him and he actually will walk great!  When I tie him, he will sometimes stand there but for some reason he fought the post like crazy today! When I seem that he cut himself in the chain, I immediately untied him and took the lead rope off! I just want to cry cause I'm scared he won't get well enough for me to work with his feet in time for the show!

Because you a new to this, I am going to cut you some slack, but I am going to be a bit forward in my words.
If I was this steer, I would HATE YOUR GUTS.  Every time that calf see's you, you make him feel pain.  You injure him.
So, that being said, you have a long road in front of you.  Take everything off and let it heal COMPLETELY.  IF he is gentle enough to allow you to brush him while he eats, then do that. If not, sit in the same pen and talk to him. Maybe play with this feet with a show stick. 
I highly doubt you will get him gentle enough to show Sept 12, and that should NOT be a priority right now.  Your only priority should be to get this animal healed up.

I wish you luck but let this be a valuable lesson to you.  You need to keep a much closer eye on your calves to prevent this. And NEVER tie an animal with a chain lead or halter.  NEVER.

Good Luck.

Shortytyre

The whole reason I took the rope halter off was because it rubbed a site in his nose and it looked to tight and he stopped eating! When I switched to the chain halter, the chain didnt even touch the under part if his chin unless he pulled, so I thought that was better for him! We are taking him to the vet this week I get shots and wormed so hopefully she can give me more meds than the purple spray that u started using this morning!

Tallcool1

It can happen, and it's unfortunate.

He will heal up quickly.

Get the rope halter that has a metal ring on it. That will allow the halter to be loose as long as he isn't pulling.

Don't let him drag a halter. That works good but only for the first couple days of breaking.

It will all be fine. You've learned something and that's good.

TPX

I have never been a fan of leaving halters on calves when they are not being worked with, if you let them drag the halter we find all it encourages is them to put there head down when they feel pressure because they are stepping on the halter.  We also feel it is very dangerous and can up with injuries (there are always loose nails, feeders, etc in the pen they can hook a halter on).  I recommend taking the time to catch the calf every time you want to work with them and not let them drag the halter around, a rope halter and a show stick in a 12x12 pen and you can catch just about any calf you want. 

OH Breeder

Don't beat yourself up too bad BUT take the advice that has been given. Some very good advice. We always work with calves in smaller pen. Halter brush tie etc then release. Turn out at night. To get to feed in the morning halter walk to the inside pens and unhalter. Get into a routine. Cattle are pretty routine animals. They will get it after a while. I hate to see those chain  halters left on calves. It always seems to rub the hair off and they can get hung up.
Clean the wound good make sure it keep flies off of it. Lots of skin treatments that will help the healing process. Wash rinse and apply a topical agent that promotes healing and will repel flies.