Diesel Trucks - New or Used?

Help Support Steer Planet:

PLKR

We're in the market for a different diesel truck to pull our trailer, and with the changes in motors due to emission requirements, would we better off finding a good, low mileage "pre-emission" truck, or go with the new?  For those of you with the new diesels, how has your mileage and power compared to previous models?  We've bought new in the past, but I've heard of some disappointment witht the new motors, both in power & mileage.  Thanks for your input!

BCCC

I dorve a 2008 dodge with their new diesel engine, it didnt get very good milage comapred to the older ones. It didnt have the power either.

New twin turbo that ford has out is turnign out to be the same as their old 6.0 :'(

uluru

I have had 2 dodges  -1999 and 2000 (2500s) and a 2002 Ford  and a 2005 Chevy (both 3500s)  - all diesels.
I now have a 2008 Chevy HD 3500 Duramax with Allison tranny and
I get better fuel mileage with it and it has more power and torque than any of the other trucks.
I pull a cattle trailer and a 36' 5th wheel RV with them all over the country.
The new truck runs on the new diesel fuel  - low sulphur -and works better than I have seen in many years.
Just my opinion

Bob

BCCC

uluru said:
I have had 2 dodges  -1999 and 2000 (2500s) and a 2002 Ford  and a 2005 Chevy (both 3500s)  - all diesels.
I now have a 2008 Chevy HD 3500 Duramax with Allison tranny and
I get better fuel mileage with it and it has more power and torque than any of the other trucks.
I pull a cattle trailer and a 36' 5th wheel RV with them all over the country.
The new truck runs on the new diesel fuel  - low sulphur -and works better than I have seen in many years.
Just my opinion

Bob
Which one did you like least, and which the best, and so on??? We are looking at buying a 05 ford, a 05 chevy, and a 03 Dodge :'(

OH Breeder

I am one of those people who never buys new because I do not want to eat all the depreciation. I bought one new truck and have regretted it to this day.

May I offer some websights you can research what you are looking for.

Edmunds.com car reivews
price
autotrader.com
cars.com

this will give you prices all over the country. Edmunds has driving and reports on each model you inquired on.

Turkey Creek Ranch

We have a 2001 and a 2006 Duramax. Both get around 15-16 mpg. We have been very happy with the power, they easily pull a load of hay, or a full trailer of cows when we are moving them out to pasture. We take a couple long trips a year, and they hold up very nicely.

uluru

BCCC

Each brand has their own strength from my perspective.
My 02 Ford had the Lariat II package and was real nice inside and a great two tone paint job but was a 2WD and no good in snow
My Dodges were real workhorses but not finished quite as fancy as the Ford and Chevs.
The Cummins diesels were noisy both inside the vehicle and outside. Real good engines though.
My 05 Chev was just an ordinary truck from my point of view. No real problems with it
My O8 Chevy seems to have more power and torque than the other trucks and while I only have 6,000 miles on it I am quite pleased with it so far. 

I am not a person to get too hung up on the truck brand as long as it works well and does the job I need done I am happy with it.

TxAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
94 - 98 Dodges 12v - Great Engines, Harder to find, sought after
No experience with early late 90's early 00's, but latest Cummins are excellent engines, but as referenced above Dodges not as fancy

Chevrolet Pre Duramax 6.5L - Lots problems with PMD, decent gas mileages, I blew the engine because oil cooler line ruptured
Early Duramax - lots of problems with fuel injectors
Later Duramax - Good engine

Ford 7.3 - Great Engine, stop producing it in 03 I think, lots of power
Ford 6.0 - 2003 - 2004, lots of problems, eventually worked out
Latest Twin Turbo setup, problems starting to arise as reference earlier

Hope this helps, owned several diesel trucks, currently got the Ford 7.3 chipped and love it.  Get close to 20 mpg and can pull a house down the road.

jason

Definitely by used, diesels actually get mpg after getting broken in.  Just make sure you get one that was taken care of and it will be a great truck.

knabe

what about a ford 4x4 99 with 150k miles 7.3 for 13K

what's service interval and repairs on 7.3, transmission upgrades

Doc

knabe said:
what about a ford 4x4 99 with 150k miles 7.3 for 13K

what's service interval and repairs on 7.3, transmission upgrades

Is it a crewcab dually? If in real good shape then I would say you're ok. It's not a steal, but they're not breaking it off in you either. I sold my '95 F250 supercab, 4x4, needing some bodywork & had 300k on it for $6500.00. Drive a '99 F350 crewcab dually , 4x4 now. I love my 7.3's. I use RotellaT 15w40 oil with 2 quarts of Lucas oil stabilizer every oil change which is every 5k miles, change the fuel filter every other oil change, service the tranny once a year(automatic tranny), open air intake & chipped.