disease genes

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

DL, is there a cattle equivalent of Crohn's disease, perhaps BVD? and is it possible that cattle have a different propensity to expel E. coli, particularly 157:H7 and perhaps test positive somewhere, but not in the GI?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6724369.stm

DL

knabe - good questions all!

There is evidence, and some strongly believe, that there is some evidence that there is a link between the bacteria that causes Johne's disease (Mycobacteriam paratuberculosis) and human Crohne's disease - if it is ever proven that the 2 are caused by the same bacteria then those people who took a proactive appraoch in testing their cattle for Johne's annually will be a step ahead

I suspect different animals, maybe different breeds or species, have different ways of managing infectious diseases and that there is a genetic component (as well as environment etc) but I don't have any specifics.....

knabe

holy fistulated steer batman

http://alan.kennedy.name/crohns/welcome.htm

cobacterium paratuberculosis is an obligate pathogen, i.e. it cannot multiply outside the cells of animals.

i wonder if a failure of autophagy, essentially creating cell death inside the cell, and it's breakdown or pathway interruption is a cause of crohn's or johne's.  i wonder how many dairy vets in the last 100 years had misdiagnosed crohn's? or turned up an effective response other than an autoimmune overly inflammation based response.  and if this response can be turned on by something relatively easy other than everyone going to a petting zoo 3 times cuz of course there will be sensitives.  it seems strangly eerie that as we auto gravitate to an overlyartificially clean environment we could be stacking susceptibility in our population.

chambero

I think you made a reference to a possible increase in susceptibilty of humans to microorganisms because we are "too" clean.  If that's the case, my family should be immune to everything.  We've never had a problem with letting our boys be boys and get dirty.

showcattlegal

kids that around a lot of animals and outdoors lot don't seem to catch as much stuff as city kids. Like those city kids that died from going to a petting zoo.

DL

Yeah I think there is actually some evidence re infectious diseases and allergies from "too clear as kids"

re Johne's disease (actually one of my favorite diseases from a pathogenesis stand point and most unfavorite from a you really don't want it stand point - I was going to post about is and maybe I will...) ..the JD Crohne's link is considered controversial - I don't remember all the specific studies but my synopsis (from memory) goes something like this
- both diseases are characterized by granuloma formation in the small intestine
- in some but not all cases of Crohn's M para tb organisms (cause of JD)  have been identified in human tissues
- dairy farmers and dariy vets do not have an increase incidence of Crohn's compared to the "general population"
- some JD experts believe it is a matter of time until it becomes crystal clear that the 2 diseases are related (others don't)
- if you have cattle a proactive approach re JD may pay off if the link is established....

knabe

more science fun

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070607/sc_afp/ushealthbacteria

just like the same stores everywhere, we are going to have the same bacteria everywhere. 

DL

knabe said:
more science fun

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070607/sc_afp/ushealthbacteria

just like the same stores everywhere, we are going to have the same bacteria everywhere. 

It isn't clear to me who is more scary (deadly) - W or all these bacteria!