Does anyone still use AAOK’s recipe?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mykayla

I was wondering if anyone is still using the recipe. When I search for it on here I don’t get many recent results and I’m really interested in using it on my show heifers

WinterSpringsFarm

I don't hear of to many people using it.  In fact I had wanted to use it for my heifers as well, but when I gave the  mix to my nutritionist at my local mill they said no way would they use that on heifers?  So we ended up making a different one.

That being said, there are tons of people who have had success with it, so if you want to use it go ahead.  You can add supplements if you see fit.

CAB

It would be the ration that I would use no doubt. I may would tweak it depending on what I was feeding with it. If my feed man wouldn't work with me I would have a new feed man no doubt about that also. He, she could join in and help or I'd find one that would.

Mykayla

Thank you all. Near me the two feeds that are sold are purina and sunglo where 50 lbs bags cost $18+ tax. I’m a college student and it’s plain out not affordable..

CAB

You can get along very well with this ration. if you can't find the exact same ingredients you should be able to find a similar replacement ingredient for it in your area. I use a small portable cement mixer to mix the ration at my place which I really like because then it is super easy to make adjustments to the ration. It may be a touch low in protein as stated but then for instance just add a bit more SBM or if you are feeding breeding heifers and you think that they are getting to much condition add more roughage and cut carb (corn) and so on. What part of the country are you from? It helps us to know what types of ingredients may be readily available to you.

Mykayla

I live in Central Florida. One of the main ingredients I don’t have access to is cottonseed hulls. For that could I use shredded beet pulp or precon instead? As for the protein levels I was thinking adding some calf manna might help raise it up a bit

GoWyo

I used a 50:50 corn:eek:ats mixture as my base and there is enough roughage in it that you don't really need the cottonseed hulls.  Then I mixed in a 40% pellet that the local elevator had to get to a 14% protein (this was for some freshly weaned calves) and some dry molasses and a couple cups of vegetable oil.  I mix my feed in 5 gallon buckets and add a pint or so of water and mix with a mortar mixer on a drill.  Works pretty well.

CAB

quick answer Mykayla you can use beet pulp in place of the CSHs. I've used all three of these ingredients at that same time, CSH, SBH, & beet pulp. I have used whole oats in the ration, added Sure Champ sometimes. Extra SBM will be the cheapest way to raise protein levels I think but don't really know in your area. Bottom line is that it is a great ration IMO and if you can mix it yourself really allows you to be the master. I'm not going to say anything more because pretty soon you'll have so many recommendations that it can get confusing. If you have a nutritionist that you trust that would be a great resource but most are affiliated with some company and are wanting to push their products which they should be. Good luck!!