EARTHQUAKE

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

Knabe, Just had my first experience with an earthquake this morning. At 4:38 am we had the earthquake wake us up that occured in Southern IL about 150 miles away. You can keep those things. 

red

I wonered about that. heard it on the news. hope it didn't shake you out of bed!

Kupfarm

It was felt here in Northwest Indiana too.  I thought it was just a good gust of wind.  I guess not. I am over 250 miles from the main impact area. 

fluffer

I am in west central OH and at around 5:30 our time our bed was shaking and it sounded like the wind was blowing real hard.  I reached over and touched my hubby to see if he was somehow shaking the bed.  Wondered about an earthquake but rolled over and went back to sleep.  Couldn't believe it when I turned on the news this morning and saw it.

Fluffer

Jill

All kinds of reports here in Kansas City, my husband finds it amazing that it could travel from IL to Australia in minutes.

Rocky Hill Simmental

I felt some shaking early this morning here in SE Missouri. I thought it was just in my mind and went back to sleep after it stopped. Then I turned on the news and there was one.  :eek: At least I'm not going crazy. lol

Doc

red said:
I wonered about that. heard it on the news. hope it didn't shake you out of bed!

It woke us up & we thought it was a tornado at first because the house was shaking so bad, but couldn't  figure out why the weather radio wasn't going off!

showgirl2010

I live in Souther IL!  It scared me.  It was my first experience with an earthquake too.  My mom said she woke up because the animals outside were going crazy and next thing she knew was the house was shaking and all the glassware was rattling.  Im not sure how long it lasted but I dont think it was long.  I woke up and then it quite and I just thought it was the washer.  Scary that is for sure.  No there was no damage that I know of but I'll know more when I get back from school.

Jamie

marsh

I am in Southcentral IN and felt it pretty strong at around 5:38 this morning.  I had never felt one, but when it ended I jokingly told my wife that it could have been an earthquake.  I would guess it lasted 3-5 seconds, but I am not sure on that.  I do know it shook the bed, rattled the windows, and had the dogs outside barking.

cattlejunky

We felt it also.  About 5:35am.  We are between Indy and Terre Haute.  We have had 2 or 3 over the last 20 years.  Watch out for the New Madrid fault.

fluffer

They say that "we" (ohio, Indiana, IL) sit on a pretty major fault.  If that bad boy wakes up we might be in TROUBLE  :eek:  Hope what we had this morning was just a little sift and not the start of something.

Fluffer

knabe

don't tell me you'all are gonna move to california now.

if you remember tecumseh i think it was, who was college educated i think, where he learned about eclipses of the moon and earthquakes, he used the eclipse as a ploy on his fellow indians to "predict" natural events, anyway,  i think he used the eclipse as a battle cry to unite against the US, but was underimined by his shaman brother, who was probably jealous.  anyway, i think he also "predicted" the earthquake that changed the course of the mississippi about 10 miles or something like that, i think it may have actually flowed backwards as well.  also, remember, yellowstone is sitting on top of either the first or second largest megavolcano in the world.  it's actually pretty interesting there hasn't been more earthquakes in the midwest, or volcano's for that matter.  obviously we get them because we are on an active fault line.  another interesting fault line is on land where krakatoa is.  when it blew, it was the first world wide event that was covered globally as the transcontinental wires had just been laid and it was covered almost live.  i think the shock waves from the blast was recorded at least 7 times at it clapped back and forth around the globe.  it changed the weather world wide.  anyway, krakato sits on top of two merging land masses, which is why you get volcanos.  these two land masses that are merging which are only a few miles apart, have extremely different animals on the two islands on either side of krakatoa, on e is java which is actually west of java and the other island bali.  this line is called wallace's line, which is bascially the junction between australia and the orient.  he was probably ahead of darwin for the theory of evolution, as darwin found out about him and rushed to publish.  wallace was an eccentric, and in my book, should get credit for evolution, not darwin.  there's a great book about krakatoa, from the news gathering perspective, and how it was covered in the news.  if only the dinosaurs had radio back then.

bradycreek

I'm over 400 miles away in Missouri close to KC. At 4 my 11 mo old son woke up and I fed him but he wouldn't go back to sleep which is really unusual (at least for him). Needless to say my wife and I were in bed with the baby between us when our bedroom door started bouncing slightly back and forth as well as our bed shaking. I joking said to my wife it was either a ghost or an earthquake. She was beliving more in the ghost I think ... :eek:....but I was almost sure it was an earth quake. Sure enough 15 min latter it was reported on CCN.
CNN reported it was felt over 900 miles away in Flordia. Because of the geography here in the mid west often quakes around here are felt over a greater area. In 1811 and 1812 the strongest quake(s) in the recorded history of the US was at the new madrid fault. It made the mississippi run backwards, rang church bells in Philly I think if I remember my history right.

That was my first quake. My mom grew up near San Fan CA and felt several of them growing up. If I'm not mistaken as I'm no quake expert but some of the time can't a small quake lead up to "the big one". I watched a History channel special on a quake as strong as the ones in 1811 and 1812 and what it would do to the midwest if it were to hit new madrid. Eye opener to say the least. Here in the Midwest our buildings, bridges, overpasses, well to think of it not much of our stuff was built to withstand a quake.
dh

shortyjock89

It was felt here in Champaign-Urbana.  I woke up for it, but when I woke up, I couldn't exactly remember why. I rolled back over and forgot about it until now.