embroy transfers.

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

OK i have a few(a bunch) of questions on ET's. OK so say i have a Angus cow and i do an ET from a Reg. shorthorn cow and a reg shorthorn bull. will i get a Shorthorn calf that i can register as a shorthorn?? also about how much does it cost. and where is the closest place to southwets ks that does it

also say i want a march calf. so when would i do the transfer ??? ??? ???

TottenClubCalves

yes you would be able to register the calve a shorthorn, your angus cow has no relation to the calve she is so to speak a surrogate mother, the dam is the shorthorn cow and the sire is the shorthorn bull so when you go to register the calve you use the shorthorn dam and sire.

CAB

Hey Pigguy, if you put an embyo in on the 31st of May the receip would be due to calf on the 1st of March. The 29th of June makes a calf due the 31st of March. You should calculate how far you are from McCook,Ne., Tthat's where Cowboy is set up and would be great as far as walking you through the process and give you a break down of the costs that you will incurr. Good Luck, Brent

Jill

You will get a Shorthorn that can be registered whatever the cow and bull are, there is an extra charge for a ET certificate.  The facility we use is near Manhattan, KS, but that may be a little far for you, I think you said you were close to Rusty, ask him there maybe someplace in OK or TX closer from where you are.  Just to give you an idea we pay 350 for the flush, 150 if we freeze, 50 for transfer fee X however many you put in recips, they charge 3.50 per day to keep the cows there or you can do all the work yourself and just bring them in on flush day.  I know some places are cheaper and some are more expensive, when you choose a facility have them give you are rate schedule.

pigguy

Jill said:
You will get a Shorthorn that can be registered whatever the cow and bull are, there is an extra charge for a ET certificate.  The facility we use is near Manhattan, KS, but that may be a little far for you, I think you said you were close to Rusty, ask him there maybe someplace in OK or TX closer from where you are.  Just to give you an idea we pay 350 for the flush, 150 if we freeze, 50 for transfer fee X however many you put in recips, they charge 3.50 per day to keep the cows there or you can do all the work yourself and just bring them in on flush day.  I know some places are cheaper and some are more expensive, when you choose a facility have them give you are rate schedule.
so i wouldtn have to pay for the flush or the freeze?? since i would already be buying them flushed and frozen right??

Jill

If you are buying an embryo it would just be the 50 dollar transer fee, sorry I misunderstood your question.

itk

We do our et work at Sun Valley in Salina. Most et techs will travel to put in embryos. If you only have a few embryos to put in I would find another person in the area and have the tech put in embryos for both places in one stop. This way you could split the expense and save some money. If the tech comes to your place you would have to have the cows cycled and ready to implant but it would save you some hassle and stress on the recip cow not having to haul them.

itk

KS, When I was at school at DC3 he came down and put in embryos for the college so I know he dose some work down that way.

Jill

I know we have used Trans-Ova, they were traveling to a place in MO and did us on the way and the way back.  Check with some of the guys in your area and see if they have someone coming to put some in.  I think we did 3 other peoples cows at that time, they all brought them here and the tech only had to make 1 stop that way.  I guess to me an 8 hour trip is a long way to put in 1 embryo.  Something else you might try is if Terry is traveling at certain times and would be closer to you that might work also.

itk

The phone number for Sun Valley is 785.825.7600. They are great to work with, but the distance might be more of a challenge for you as we are only a hour and a half from them. Give them a call I'm sure they will work something out.

CAB

2 cents worth. Check on the amount of experience that the tech that is going to be putting in your embryos has. Seems like everyone can flush and freeze, but getting pregnant receips is what it's all about for success. Brent

Show Heifer

I whole heartedly agree CAB!! It doesn't matter who they work for, doesn't matter what piece of paper they have framed on the wall, ALL THAT MATTERS IS HOW MANY HAVE THEY TRANSFERED, AND WHAT THEIR CONCEPTION RATE IS. Ask them for references. Anyone worth a darn will be more than happy to give names of people they have worked for.
Good luck!!  So far my embryo conception rate is 70% on frozens!!!! YEAH for my GREAT TECH!!!!! (clapping) (clapping)
Still have some to check, but I have high hopes!!!

CAB

Hey SH, you've got to have great quality embryos for those kinds of conception rates. If you don't mind, would let us know who & where you had your flush work done please? Are you putting in the embryos frozen or fresh? Thanks in advance. Brent C.

Jill

They say that fresh has a better conception rate, but in our own herd we have not found that to be true, they run about the same.

Show Heifer

My flushing was done "out west...where the thisles grow!!!"
And transfered by a fellow Iowan!!!  They were transfered frozen.  Maybe this is a good year around here, as my uncle ran 70-75% on roughly 160 head of frozen embryos. They usually run about 65%. But they continually tweek things and try to get better each time!

Sexing embryos can be done, BUT....the conception rate suffers greatly!