EUC Tabasco

Help Support Steer Planet:

mlk32

After seeing a few really nice calves in the NW Ohio area last spring, I tried him on a purebred shorthorn Salute cow and a shorthorn plus Metro heifer.  Both calves were born unassisted with the Salute checking in at 75 lbs. and the Metro at 65 lbs.  They are both heifers and my kids showed them at the county fair.  We will continue to show the Metro this winter and will sell the Salute.  (Can't keep them all!)  Excellent dispositions, square hipped, nice front ends and both placed very well in both the open breeding show then crossed over as beef feeders for the junior show. 

The Salute calf has really great hair and her dam is not known for producing hair.  Her dam also has a high maintenance attitude which we have not seen at all in the calf. 

In my small sampling, I got quality calves coupled with calving ease and great dispositions.  Always like that combo. 

mlk32

The Salute cow is on the plus side of 5 and the Metro would be a 4-4.5.  Considering the calves' birth weights and where they are now, I don't think he will add much frame to either.  They look like they are going to follow their dam's frame scores if not slightly smaller. 

My calves and the other calves I have seen all seem to be fairly moderate.  I have not seen anything to make me say he is going to significantly up size calves but still a fairly small sampling.