Fall Born Lowlines! New Pictures 10/19

Help Support Steer Planet:

Reinken Cattle Co.

Went to check cows at the pasture this morning and found two little heifers! Both sired by SPCR Tequila, for the lowline breeders this bull belongs to Doug Dodd, its our first year using this bull and dougs spring calves were all heifers! He is doing a great job for heifer percentage 100%! Tell me what ya think! Thanks!

Matt

Attachments

• L18 heifer calf.jpg
    L18 heifer calf.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 466
  • L37 heifer calf.jpg
    L37 heifer calf.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 464

dori36

Reinken Cattle Co. said:
Went to check cows at the pasture this morning and found two little heifers! Both sired by SPCR Tequila, for the lowline breeders this bull belongs to Doug Dodd, its our first year using this bull and dougs spring calves were all heifers! He is doing a great job for heifer percentage 100%! Tell me what ya think! Thanks!

Matt

Lookin' good, Matt!  Nothing better than a pair of healthy, strong little heifers!  How are the dams bred?

Dori

Reinken Cattle Co.

Both of the Dams are sired by ALM Clout  27h out of angus cows, both cows, actually all of my cows are from John Reed in Brooten Mn.

TJ

Congrats on the heifer calves!

I've got a few late summer/fall calves sired by Doc Holliday, Tigers Eye, Yes Yes Yes, Zeffirelli, Quarterback (Doc's 1/2 brother), Duke (he is/was listed on Ozraptor's website & traces back to the original Erica cow more times than B.A. Kaptain Midnight) & TTT Bush Ranger (son of Brambletye W342 & Murrumbong Cleo).     Pretty even mix of bulls & heifers, but more bulls than heifers.  All percentages too.  I even have one with a blaze face.    

TJ

Be sure to post some pics when they get a little bigger.

Reinken Cattle Co.

There getting lost out in the new pasture im renting! there too small!!! and i dont have enough cows on the pasture! i went out this evening and took me an hour to find one, the cow had no clue where she was!

doubled

That is so funny, maybe I can talk Kurt into getting some of those, I really like how they are made too, really stout for as little as they are,
is there a good market out there for them???

Reinken Cattle Co.

Yes! please do talk to kurt! drag him over here! 2 miles south of Boone on highway 17! tell him ill trade him some bred lowlines for some bred clubby cows!  ;) i have those two heifers to view now, one more cow is due then have a yearling 3/4 heifer for sale and a 1/2 lowline heifer out of a pb angus for sale then some cows that will calve in the spring also.

dori36

Reinken Cattle Co. said:
Yes! please do talk to kurt! drag him over here! 2 miles south of Boone on highway 17! tell him ill trade him some bred lowlines for some bred clubby cows!  ;) i have those two heifers to view now, one more cow is due then have a yearling 3/4 heifer for sale and a 1/2 lowline heifer out of a pb angus for sale then some cows that will calve in the spring also.

Hmmm, a guy who likes trading!  Check out the "Services" page on my website (www.lowlinecattle.com) for a different kind of trading opportunity!

Dori

red

Dori, with you as their promotor I'm surprised that LowLines aren't at every major show!

klintdog

Back in the day I used to do some website design and did one for Dakota Classic Lowline (Tom Gunderson). He had boughten a lowline bull named Tequila out of Australia and imported semen into the US from him. Is the sire of those calves the same Tequila?

dori36

klintdog said:
Back in the day I used to do some website design and did one for Dakota Classic Lowline (Tom Gunderson). He had boughten a lowline bull named Tequila out of Australia and imported semen into the US from him. Is the sire of those calves the same Tequila?

I can't speak for Matt, but I'm quite sure he's a Tequila son.  I knew Tom and was sorry to see them get out of Lowlinees.  Tequila is probably one of the most significant and influential sires in the American Lowline cattle, bar none.  And, just as an aside, Tequila daughters have been one of the truly "golden crosses" with my Lowline bull.

doubled

Reinken Cattle Co. said:

We might just have to do that, he is over by boone once in awhile clipping for some people there that have showed some of his cattle in the past year or so.

dori36

Reinken Cattle Co. said:
There getting lost out in the new pasture im renting! there too small!!! and i dont have enough cows on the pasture! i went out this evening and took me an hour to find one, the cow had no clue where she was!

I feel your 'pain', Matt!  Been there, done that!  When I bought the farm I'm on in Michigan, it had (still does) good high tensile fence all around and also in a small trap pasture that I like to start the cows/calves after I'm sure they're ready to leave the corrals when the calves are about 5 days old.  Well, with those itty bitty Lowline calves, they would just walk right under the lowest wire and drive their dams crazy.  I ended up running some of that white, narrow electric tape at the very bottom, under the lowest wire to keep 'em in.  And, if you've never had Lowline babies on your place, they are the most vigorous, lively, comical, and fast running little sh**ts I've ever seen!  

dori36

red said:
Dori, with you as their promotor I'm surprised that LowLines aren't at every major show!

Thanks for the compliment, Cathy, but I'm more a "behind-the-scenes" type of promoter.  The real credit goes to the active, hard working Lowline folks who have gotten Lowlines in nationally recognized shows like Denver, Houston, The NILE, the NAILLE, the Royal and countless state fairs around the country, including Iowa.  We're growing and gaining respect of cattle people all around the US thanks to all of us who appreciate their traits that can moderate size in commercial cow herds, add hybrid vigor to whatever they're crossed with, utilize grass and produce a carcass that will grade choice with minimal inputs.  Heck, did I mention they're also impossibly "cute" for those who like a nice, gentle pet cow around the place!

Reinken Cattle Co.

Your welcome to come over anytime justamom, just send me a message even if you just wanna look at them to see what there all about. On dori's topic of gaining the respect of all breeders it is so true the new big phrase in lowlines around here is They've got something for everyone! meaning, if you need something small and docile to graze a small pasture so you dont have to mow it and love looking at cows there perfect! if you have some heifers you need bred and worry about calving ease they are the best for it! have I pulled a calf out of a heifer no way! I havnt even seen them born! they like to have them inbetween the hours I check! everyone teases me and says they must sneeze them dang things out! and its about true! there such hardy little buggers to i was gonna bring the two new ones in tonight because of the cold wet weather and couldnt even catch um they were running around like mad loving it! Klintdog to answer your question SPCR Tequila P06 is our bull, he is a son of Brambletye Tequila and if im not mistaken is out of Ok5 which I currently have identical embryos in some cows now..Thanks to Dr. Keith Hansen for his help with that! Wow it sure is nice to see a lowline topic keep growing like this! Love to see intrest in them! Im proud to say I raise lowlines people use to laugh but all the articles in cattle magazines lately sure is helping the breed alot! and to see the great improvement in the breed! Hope to see this topic keep growing! Thanks

Reinken Cattle Co.

I was just reading the part about you talking about how lively the little buggers are Dori, It is so true! from past years I have a very very low hot wired pry 6 inches off the ground back here at home in the front pasture but  just started renting a new pasture this year which is nice but I worry so much about them little girls they slip threw the smallest spot like a dang mouse! Back on the topic of tequila and his daughters sure hoping for heifers from those embryos! Those girls sure are fancy, a bad note Tequila calves always seem to have an attitude! high strung cocky calves if ya know what I mean.. Are bull before him was Bar J Casanova and he was the tamest lil guy ever sure looked mean but Doug Dodds girls could ride around on him! Now the tequila bull that we call Otis acts like hes a 3000lb BA! Have one more cow due this week! will post pictures when her calf hits the ground! and will also update pictures of these calves frequently because id like to get them out on the market, still have two heifers from last year that are absolutely awesome that I just cant seem to find intrest in, Fine with me thow ill keep a for sale sign on them and run them as cows for awhile!! TJ knowing that your another active lowline breeder on here would love to see some of your fall calves if you have any post them on here! to try and widen this topic a little bit for all the other breeders to see! Thanks

Matt