Favorite Christmas carols or holiday songs

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Just don't ask me to sing! what are your favorite Christmas carols or groups? We are going to an Advent service Wednesday & it's going to be have an instrumental/musical theme. I can't wait!

I love Mannheim Steamroller's versions of songs. My favorites are "Do you hear what I hear?", "Joy to the world" (not 3 Dog Night's version) & "Hark the Herald". I could go on forever....

I guess I don't care for Grandma got run over or Mommy Kissing Santa. Probably a lot more on that list!

Red

knabe

it came upon a midnight clear
o holy night
oh come all ye faithful
silver bells
i'll be home for christmas
oh little town of bethlehem

the grandma got run over song is a local guy out here who i think is a retired small animal vet who still makes decent money performing it.

my naughty favorites are
santa baby
and the jorgi jorgensen song i linked earlier

cowz

Angels We Have Heard on High, O Holy Night and Ava Maria.

red

I love that when a really good choir sings it! Can bring tears to my eyes. I also always liked the "Little Drummer Boy". Does anyone remeber the old cartoon of it? I doubt they still show it since it's of a more religious theme.

Also, good question- do you say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? Please no one tell me Merry Xmas! ???

Red

Rocky Hill Simmental

These have to be my three favorite:

Silent Night
Little Drummer Boy
What Child is This?

red said:
Also, good question- do you say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? Please no one tell me Merry Xmas! ???

I say Merry Chirstmas.  ;D

Jill

Merry Christmas when referring to Christmas, Happy Holidays would include from Thanksgiving-New Years.

dutch pride

Christmas shoes (I think that is the title) for a modern "tear you up" song
Like most of the tradition carols, don't like it when they try to "modernise" these tunes.

Defiantly, Merry Christmas

After all, without Christ, there would be no holiday season the end of December.

DLZ

Show Heifer

"Where are you Christmas?" by Martina McBride (I think)
"Christmas Shoes" by whoever sings it.

Too many bad ones to list!

Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year......Happy Holidays is a cop out! (IMVVHO)

Jill

dutch pride said:
Christmas shoes (I think that is the title) for a modern "tear you up" song
Like most of the tradition carols, don't like it when they try to "modernise" these tunes.

Defiantly, Merry Christmas

After all, without Christ, there would be no holiday season the end of December.

DLZ
I like that one too, thought of it after I had posted.  That song makes me cry everytime I hear it.

Turkey Creek Ranch

Well I play the Baritone Sax for our band. We play Angels We Have Heard On High by Manehiem Steamroller.......I LOVE PLAYING THAT SONG

common sense

I personally loved Seinfeld's "Merry Festivus"!  Best episode ever.  I could tell a very hearwarming story about "festivus" but it might be taken the wrong way.  It's just important to understand the true meaning of Christmas no matter what your religious beliefs.  Oh man, I hope this doesn't open a can'o worms.    :eek:

Jill said:
Merry Christmas when referring to Christmas, Happy Holidays would include from Thanksgiving-New Years.

Jill

I agree, they started putting out Christmas stuff before Halloween this year, I think most people need to take a step back and remember what the celebration of Christmas is for.

cowz

We we making plans to go down south and watch the Los Posada in Santa Fe, put don't you know there is a high school basketball game that night!  Rats!

If in your travels you ever get to witness the Spanish Nativity re-enactment, it is beautiful and truly moving.  My husband and I, 20 years ago, used to stay up on Christmas Eve to watch the midnight procession to the old Mission Church in Flagstaff.  When you see this and sing O Holy Night, it moves you to tears.  Oh and for "Common Sense"....they used real mule to bring Mary down the street.

shortdawg

I had the pleasure of playing an instrumental solo of " Silent Night " on my guitar last Sunday night during the Children's Cantata at church and it was very moving to me. I play CHRISTmas music all year. Some others I like to play are :
What Child Is This
Away In A Manger
White Christmas
Angels We Have Heard On High
Jingle Bell Rock
Little Jesus ( Santa Baby tune with Christian Lyrics that a friend of mine came up with )
And many, many, more