Favorite Holiday food or meal

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

(pop) (pop) (pop) (pop) (pop)

I'm using Holiday for this because it can be for Thanksgiving & New Year's Eve too as well as Christmas. What is your favorite foods for the holidays? Something you look forward to every year or something you remember from years ago?

Mine are: my homemade cresent rolls, cream cheese & dried beef cheese ball & my grandmother's roast beef on Christmas day! I also love peppermint ice cream w/ hot fudge sauce on it this time of year!

Yummy!!!

Red

knabe

divinity my grammy made
fudge, especially really dried out fudge
jello with pears and cream or whatever it is
cinammon rolls in a pan greased with lard instead of crisco (the secret ingredient) it makes them crispier
candied nuts
anything in vinegar, ie canned
sees bordeaux candy
peanut butter brickle
prime rib prime rib prime rib prime rib prime rib prime rib prime rib prime rib prime ribprime rib
hanger steak

cowz

English walnut toffee

Scalloped corn with oysters

Prime Rib with Mushroom Au Ju with wild rice on the side!

Sweet potatoes!

garybob

cowz said:
English walnut toffee

Sweet potatoes!
As long as you don't put Marshmallows 'n Nuts in 'em Sweet Potatoes.

Jill

Ditto on the divinity (can't hardly find anyone that makes it anymore) and fudge, honeybaked ham

AAOK

Has to be the Desserts - Collectively(Just a few of my favorite things)

Pecan Pie
Lemon Mirange
Coconut Cream
Nuts About Fudge
Cheesecakes
Blackberry Cobler
German Chocolate Cake
Carrot Cake
Red Velvet Cake
Blonde Brownies
Maple/white chocolate fudge

red

I love German Chocolate cake! I have a great reciepe for a version on it.
You all are making me hungry orin the mood to start baking!

Red

cowz

garybob said:
cowz said:
English walnut toffee

Sweet potatoes!
As long as you don't put Marshmallows 'n Nuts in 'em Sweet Potatoes.

Ok, just brown sugar with some carmelized pecans and bake 'em til they are dead!!

cowz

Jill said:
Ditto on the divinity (can't hardly find anyone that makes it anymore) and fudge, honeybaked ham

Divinity is a true art form.  If anyone here has an IDIOT proof divinity recipe,  please share with the less fortunate! ;D

Ruchian

knabe said:
divinity my grammy made
fudge, especially really dried out fudge
jello with pears and cream or whatever it is
cinammon rolls in a pan greased with lard instead of crisco (the secret ingredient) it makes them crispier
candied nuts
anything in vinegar, ie canned
sees bordeaux candy
peanut butter brickle
prime rib prime rib prime rib prime rib prime rib prime rib prime rib prime rib prime ribprime rib
hanger steak

Prime rib is my favorite food anythime so I have to agree with you there.  I also like desserts, especially fudge and dutch oven blackberry cobbler

red

Cowz- try this

Divinity is made with egg whites, sugar, corn syrup, and pecans.
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup white corn syrup
1/2 cup water
2 egg whites
pinch salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans
PREPARATION:
Combine sugar, corn syrup, and water in saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved; boil without stirring to hard ball stage when tested in cold water, or 265° on candy thermometer. While syrup is cooking, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Add salt and the hot syrup, beating constantly, pouring slowly at first, and then a little faster. When mixture is stiff, beat with a wooden spoon until creamy. Stir in nuts and vanilla extract. Pour mixture into a buttered dish. Mark into 1-inch squares.
Makes 24 squares.

knabe

two hints on the divinity, use the freshest eggs possible, you will know this as the whites will be firm.  after about two weeks, the whites will have almost no poof left, and that makes them more difficult to cook over easy as the whites are runny at this point.  also, i would recommend range fed eggs as they are denser.  i helped my grandma and sister with this only a couple of times as i was too stupid to pay attention, but the beating of the egg whites is THE most important step. if you like walnuts, preboil the walnuts for 2 minutes to get rid of the bitterness, or purchase a variety that has low bitterness.

i like it when it is about 1 inch thick.

common sense

I come from a long line of Scandinavians.  That was very painful for me during the holidays when I was growing up.  My father and grandfather were very traditional.  We had to have Lutefisk every year.  Seeing it is repulsive but tasting it or smelling it would kill a billy goat.  I could smell it cooking from the barnyards.  Of course we all had to choke some down but the reward was a bowl full of ice cream smothered in fresh lingon.  Lucky for my children I am not quite as traditional as my father. 

Will

common sense said:
I come from a long line of Scandinavians.  That was very painful for me during the holidays when I was growing up.  My father and grandfather were very traditional.  We had to have Lutefisk every year.  Seeing it is repulsive but tasting it or smelling it would kill a billy goat.  I could smell it cooking from the barnyards.  Of course we all had to choke some down but the reward was a bowl full of ice cream smothered in fresh lingon.  Lucky for my children I am not quite as traditional as my father. 
What is Lutefisk?  We always have a huge feast with turkey ,ham ans all the trimmings.  And so much freshly baked christmas candy.

ROAD WARRIOR

Rib eye steak! Nothing beats a good rib eye sizzleing on the grill in a snow storm!

cowz

justme said:
I cann't believe donuts aren't on this list lol

You are just killing me!!

Attachments

• bart.jpg
    bart.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 191
  • donuts.jpg
    donuts.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 211
  • donuts2.jpg
    donuts2.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 191
  • donuts3.jpg
    donuts3.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 210

common sense

Lutefisk is a most disgusting fish that is cured in lye to keep it from rotting.  It is then boiled in cheese cloth and served with cream sauce...and not good cream sauce!  The consistency is like a gooey gel and the flavor is beyond revolting. I was told that the Scandinavians began eating this during a famine.  Personally I'm surprised any of us survived...I would have chosen starvation. My father told us that when he was a boy that the grocery store in the VERY small town where he lived used to lean the fish "planks" up against the display outside of the store.  He said that he many times witnessed the local dogs making a pit stop to mark their territory on the dried out fish.

[/quote]
What is Lutefisk?  We always have a huge feast with turkey ,ham ans all the trimmings.  And so much freshly baked christmas candy.
[/quote]

cowz

My mother in law used to make Pierogies, a polish dumpling with potatoes or cottage cheese in then in a cream sauce.  Add a couple of kielbasa and you have an instant coronary!

When we lived in the SW, everyone has posole soup and tamales for Christmas Eve.  Yum!