Feeding my steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Spencer10218

I have been feeding my steer for a couple months now and if I had to guess he is around 900 to 950 I need him to finish at 1300 in the 3rd week of July
I have never finished out a steer before and I'm lost on what I need to do
He is on umbargers "cattle blaster" 3/4 and beet pulp 1/4
I really feel like I'm way off on feeding him and any advice will help

utshowgirl

We show the first week in August and I like them at least 1000lbs by March 1. That way we can work with the warmer weather not against it. Rule of thumb is feed them 3% of their bodyweight. I like to soak pulp and feed half a 5 gallon bucket of soaked pulp with their feed.  I would try to get him to eat 20lbs of a complete feed ( what is the fat, protein, fiber of your feed). I would also make sure he has grass hay all the time.

rackranch

Just fyi, you will not get weight gain needed feeding PB but the 3% is a good rule. BR is good for adding body to one or to feed if holding one. You first need to know what he really weighs and you ADG though. Is your 4-H or Ag teacher helping you ?

Spencer10218

Not sure what you mean by PB and BR and official weigh ins arnt until March and my county doesn't help anyone bc it's to political when you got $200,000 worth of steers in the grand drive
I show at Purdue preview show on the 14 of fen so I will have a an official weight then

Spencer10218

He is also really wide in the belly and not big enough in the but and his belly isn't as deep as I would like it

JRapp

I would take him off the beet pulp.

I agree with trying and getting them to 1000 or possibly a little over by March 1.  That way your not trying to really push the feed to them when it's hot out.  The 3% rule is good to go by if you have an accurate weight on him.  When you are feeding him is he leaving a little after he is done? If not get him bumped up to the point that he is and then back off by maybe 1/2 a scoop or so.  This will leave him a little hungry and make him a more aggressive eater.  Make sure when you kick him out at night he has access to plenty of hay and some sort of mineral/supplement lick, the Sure Champ stress tubs work great.

If you are going to stick w/Umbargers around the end of May or beginning of June I would swap him to the Barley Based feed, it adds a nice finish and the calves love it.  It doesn't have enough protein in it to really put a lot of pounds on, so I wouldn't start it now.  If he is still needing some depth of body 60 days out you could switch him to Lite'em Up. 

As far as his hip goes... make sure you are exercising him.  You can look into some different feed supplements.  I've not tried any of them that are geared just for muscle development. 

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

rackranch

You have the right attitude, I'm sure you will do fine... ::)
I meant BP beet pulp.

Spencer10218 said:
Not sure what you mean by PB and BR and official weigh ins arnt until March and my county doesn't help anyone bc it's to political when you got $200,000 worth of steers in the grand drive
I show at Purdue preview show on the 14 of fen so I will have a an official weight then

5PCC

See my response to a very similar post here.
http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/the-big-show/needing-advice-to-add-weight!/msg419782/#msg419782

Unfortunately, I have never fed Umbarger's so I can not give you advice on that specific brand of feed. I typically like to feed a custom ration mixed up per ton. I do agree with a previous response, however...I like to feed a ration of corn and barley...not just corn. My custom ration includes cracked corn, steam rolled barley, steam rolled oats, soybean meal, cottonseed hulls, molasses. I've also fed soybean oil in the ration before to our steers. It does a nice job too.

A word of caution though...don't keep changing things all the time or you won't get good results. Meaning...don't change the ration, then change it again, then change it again. Find what you like and try to be fairly consistent.

Good luck!

Bradenh

rackranch said:
You have the right attitude, I'm sure you will do fine... ::)
I meant BP beet pulp.

Spencer10218 said:
that's what it sounds like to me also... Sheesh

Spencer10218

I wasn't trying to act ignorant , if you saw the cattle then you would understand I have a great attitude unlike the guys evaluating a kids attitude and desire to win over one very accurate comment on the fair that he shows at

diamonddls

Agree with the 3% rule. I would say you have plenty of time to get that weight on. Pm'd a more in depth version of my two cents. If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact.