feedlot rations by decade

Help Support Steer Planet:

ska

I'm sorry, i do not completely understand your question. can you please explain it more? I'm stupid lol

aj

Interesting question. I have heard a topic going around lately. Does corn taste good to cattle any more because of the GMO technology. Some guys think that the corn stalks of today are almost inedible because corn has been bred to have a tuffer stalk to prevent lodging and etc.

knabe

i want to know how the finishing ration of cattle may have changed over the years to see if there is any variability there attributable to the performance differences we see now unassociated with genetics.

GoWyo

Biggest difference might be availability and use of distillers grains in more recent years.  Otherwise, hay, corn and silage have been run through mixer wagons for decades.

knabe

GoWyo said:
Biggest difference might be availability and use of distillers grains in more recent years.  Otherwise, hay, corn and silage have been run through mixer wagons for decades.

yeah.  looking to see if ratios were same.
low
ie. more starch might be added now since pH control etc may be controlled better now.

at some level, if the feed/mgmt is the same, the difference is in genetics.

i looked some old feed data from 70's, and weights were about the same, slightly less, but quality grades were really low and don't know if they should have just fed them longer due to the delayed maturity that was strongly in the continentals then or if some of that is the feeding excpectations/skill.

it's hard to weed all that stuff out.