Feet issues

Help Support Steer Planet:

kanshow

We have a fall heifer that is having some foot problems.      She was a very sound individual earlier this spring.  About a month ago, she started tracking a little narrower behind.  We've had this happen as they go thru growth stages but we kept pretty close tabs on her.  Around 2 weeks later, we  noticed that her rear hooves were starting to overgrow on one toe.  We got her feet trimmed and they found just a touch of laminitis but nothing else wrong.  He believes that she'll grow out of it/get over it.  He didn't see any signs of founder either.  I questioned how the laminitis could have gotten started - maybe a slight temp when weaned or when we brought her home?  The time frame was right.  Foot rot?  There were no signs of it but ??    Anyway we gave her a LA200 and backed off the feed a little bit.    She was never outwardly lame until after the trim.  She is about 2 weeks out from the trim and still acts ouchy sometimes.   

My question is ..  has anyone else had this happen?  How long does it take to get over?    Could it be something else we are overlooking? 

inthebarnagain

Laminitis can be caused by a number of things and not result in founder.  Could have been a batch of bad feed, a weed in the pasture, etc.  Hopefully you have it straightened out before she really got thrown off.  I would keep a close eye on her hooves and keep them trimmed.

Latest posts