Find Fault with this bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

librarian

Just trying to learn things to look for and not look for.
I do not think this bull is famous, just a bull.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 262

knabe

kinda like him.  probably needs to be more base wide behind.

nice shoulder, nice balance.  surprisingly not fat for era.

probably just someone who liked their bull in working clothes.

I would use him if I had shorthorns.

RyanChandler

Pretty nice bull..  Areas to improve: Looks to not have much of a hock joint and the majority of these era cattle were cow hocked / splay footed pretty considerably.

RyanChandler

when you enlarge the picture you can tell he has a pretty short hip from hooks to pins.  Hard to find fault in his front 2/3rds though.

librarian

Okay, I guess I'm on track. I thought his hip was short. And the back legs were bothering me, but I thought maybe it was the way he was standing.
Ideally, hip to pins should be 1/3 pins to shoulder?

I thought of an Ap someone could invent to put photos on a proportion grid something like the grid overlay some photo editors have to crop pictures. Just set it up for thirds and see how the animal fits into the lines.

RyanChandler

librarian said:
Okay, I guess I'm on track. I thought his hip was short. And the back legs were bothering me, but I thought maybe it was the way he was standing.
Ideally, hip to pins should be 1/3 pins to shoulder?

I thought of an Ap someone could invent to put photos on a proportion grid something like the grid overlay some photo editors have to crop pictures. Just set it up for thirds and see how the animal fits into the lines.

Great idea.  It would just be important that the picture was taken from dead center as an offset photo would distort the proportions but you have the right idea in mind.