first calf heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

I have a low perecnatge maine heifer, she is out of an Irish whiskey son. she has GREAT hair(almost 2 much), good bone, good hip, great muscel , what she needs is more neck extension, a more feminine neck(hers is kinda bullish) , and she needs her shoulders to be slimed down. what should i breed her 2? 

pigguy

what about a bull that throws 70-75 lbs calves with really big butts? for show calves?

afhm

Major's Money Man, he's more of a female maker than a steer maker imo, but should compliment your heifer well.

pigguy

she is a real power house, most definatly for makeing steers. she is also smaller framed like a 3 or 4
GF Kadabra?
ace in the hole?
Ground Zero?
Hannibal ?

DL

I never gamble with my heifers - go for a known calving ease bull (who may not throw you a great show steer) but IMVHO a live calf and a live heifer is a whole lot better than a great dead calf - it is hard to show a dead steer no matter how great he was

Also you might want to have her PHA tested, JMO

pigguy

does DR.who throw decent butts?? what about his shoulders would he slim them down?

OH Breeder

maine12 said:
does DR.who throw decent butts?? what about his shoulders would he slim them down?
Northern Improvement. You will like what you get. Fancy with hair, some grow and gain. Definitely calving ease. I have a Mossy Oak that threw a 55# and he hasn't stopped growing.Fancy steer.
Kadabra, threw one of my largest calves every. I know that is not typical, the heifer had a BW of 96#'. NO.

Stay away from clubby on clubby with first calf heifers! Unpredictable. YOu are setting the heifer up for the rest of her productive  life.

pigguy

so would you be confident using  mossy oak on a heifer that had a 55 lbs birth weight?

OH Breeder

maine12 said:
so would you be confident using  mossy oak on a heifer that had a 55 lbs birth weight?

I have a Mossy Oak Heifer that I bred to Northern Improvement and had a 55# bull calf last spring. He is growing like a weed.

pigguy

northern improvemnt and majors money man dont look like they would mix good with my heifer.

Dr. who looks like a bull that would go good with her.
Here is a list of bulls that i think might go good with her but im not sure.
Chil Factor, hard core, dr. who, tyson, rocky balboa, wells fargo(length), and ace in the hole
we need a more fenimen front, and keep the bone, hair, mass, an dmuscel

SKF

A live calf should be your goal with a heifer. You can always breed to the bull of your choice later.  A sale we go to every year in March they always have some Northern Improvement calves there that were out of clubby heifers and they are awsome calves. the high selling steer($10,000) was a Northern Imrovement x All About You.  We just AIed our heifers to the calving ease maine bull Bouncer. Also if your heifer has been tested for PHA Power Plus throws small calves. Our herd bull is a Power Plus son and he throws the smallest calves and they are good calves.  Good Luck!

DL

maine12 said:

maine12 - PLEASE do your research - is your heifer PHAF? If not I would certainly NOT be confident using Mossy Oak on her. There are no guarantees - look for the best calving ease bull you can find to give you a live calf and a live heifer - a dead steer with a big butt is still a dead steer with a BIG BUTT

Stihlpro

According to the bulls you listed you seem pretty focused on using a clubby bull on your clubby heifer.  I have had most luck using Angus or Sim-Angus bulls on my clubby females.  Very little birthweight issues and calves grow well.  Especially if you are trying to breed a heifer, you really should go with an Angus, I bet you'll be pleased!  

CAB

Dr Who will not do what you want him to do & I wouldn't use him on a heifer anyway. If you are sure that you want to go clubbie with her, a couple of bulls that you may want to look @ are Total Solution,( clean ), and All About Who, ( THC ). You may also want to look @ Who Made Who. Another Angus bull that gets used on clubbie's is OCC Legend.

Jill

You will NOT get a cleaner neck on Hard Core or OCC Legend, I would stay away from those 2 on her if that is your goal.  I know Chill Factor crosses well with the Whiskey lines, not sure about birth weight on those.  I have never used him, but one I have heard suggested that looks pretty good and if you like EPD's has good birthweight numbers would be TLM Bouncer, I hate the picture they used for him, but from what you can tell, for a mature bull he looks fairly clean fronted, he is free and homozygous black.

CAB

Jill, which Angus bulls IYHO, will work on clubbie bred heifers to make good to great cows? I don't mind pulling calves, but don't like when they have to come out of the side. Also what is everybodies opinion on the Mr. Clean calves, if you have seen any of them. I think that there is a bull that could play in the cattle business. I think he will be  a cow changer, but I don't know if there are alot of people that will like how much different they may look. I see them as an improvement for alot of things that need to be addressed in the clubbie females. I see him as total maternal.

knabe

you can see bouncer's dam, EFF Dutchess 901J, granddam, EFF DUTCHESS 702G, great granddam EFF DUTCHESS 409D here

http://www.trulinemaines.com/females.html

also, if you look up TLM BOUNCER 657S, 363262, you'll see that this bull is out of bouncer and bouncer's granddam, who is still alive and kicking at 13 or 14, can't remember.

there's a bull, TLM Magnum 003K on the herd sire page out of the 702 cow pictured as well

another interesting bull they have their is TLM Canon 302C who is out of the 168 cow as the granddam and she's in all the above way back there.

there is a reason they look the way they do.

notice on the top of bouncer he has occ anchor and 6807, both decent angus bulls. 

Jill

I love OCC Legend females, they are extremely easy fleshing and make great cows, what she was looking for was something with neck extension that would clean up the front of the calf and this is where I don't like Legend.  For cows, I don't think you can do better than the OCC bulls, they are bred to make great cows, Tim had his line perfected and I don't think they come any better.  I have seen a lot of really nice show heifers crossed with Northern Improvement and for what she wants, he would probably be the best Angus choice.  I don't know a lot about Mr. Clean, not seen any of his calves, I've never cared must for Hannibals, so really wouldn't have looked for him, I'll have to looks some of those up.