Fitter 35 protein supplement

Help Support Steer Planet:

blackdirt cowboy

My son has a steer we are targeting for an October show. He currently weighs 1140 pounds and is getting too fat too early. I thought about supplementing him with the fitter 35 to burn some fat and build muscle. Can the same thing be accomplished simply by increasing the soybean meal in his ration. I mix my own feed and it would be much more economical to do this than to buy the fitter 35. I just didn't know if the fitter 35 has amino acids and/or other products that do something the soybean meal won't. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

gary89

Fitter 35 definitely has some other useful ingredients in it that are beneficial.  This was designed more for the swine and lamb crowd,  but we used it to hold a show heifer last year and trim her up and it seemed to help.

Show lamb and pig experts may have some shortcuts to accomplishing the same results at a lower cost.  I think they may use blood meal or something similar to burn fat and increase muscle.  I do know fitter 35 works, but does get spendy.

Good luck.

5PCC

Here is something that may or may not be useful to you. It was posted by someone else in the past. I've held onto it incase I ever needed to use it. So far, I haven't needed it. My cattle all quit eating when it gets hot in the summer.
Feed him 3 scoops of Oat Grotes, 1/2 cup of Non-medicated Milk Replacer, 1 scoop of normal grain, and 2 scoops of beet pulp twice daily. I am considering 1 scoop to be about equal to a pound. If he won't eat this ration wet than feed it to him dry. The oat grotes and milk replacer are the key ingredients that a lot of people do not know about. We held a steer from our state fair time in august until louisville using this ration and it keeps them fresh and will not let them gain an ounce. If you want to let them gain a little weight simply increase the amount of grain but at these proportions they will stay where they are at. Do not use steam rolled oats, or crimped oats, it must be oat grotes. The oat grotes will also keep their body cooler and help make the ration less hot.

blackdirt cowboy

That's a great idea 5PCC. we used to feed oat groats to our show pigs when I was growing up to hold them. Never even crossed my mind to use them on cattle as well.

Latest posts