Fitting

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

I don't even think my county has a weight limit...you just have to make ADG, which is 2.1 for British breeds, and 2.3 for Continental and Crossbreds,  to sell in the auction..

pigguy

our weight limit for heifers is 1050 and steers is 1150. and they have to make adg

shortyjock89

wow...that would suck for me...two weeks ago, I had Champion Market heifer with a 995 lb heifer!

farmboy

we dont have market heifes but we do have breeding heifers which can be spring calves or yearlings and just the steers can be champion market animal

pigguy

shortyjock89 said:
wow...that would suck for me...two weeks ago, I had Champion Market heifer with a 995 lb heifer!

i know it does. i had a 1000 lb market heifer she was freakin awesome. and there were only 2 other people in the class. i wouldnt have even began to consider to halter break them. and they won because theirs weighed in at 1200 and finished and my heifer was a smaller framed heifer that was finished at 1000. it made me so mad.

renegade

I tried it on both steers but i couldn't get them to drink - did it wrong i guess.  How did you do or have you weighed in yet?

I won 4th in showmanship out of seven and would have gotten third but during profile my bull got crowded out. It is only my second show and my bulls first and the class was all heifers but my bull and one steer and the heifer behind us was in heat and wouldn't stand still i think he will be a good show animal but i have been trained by some really good showman so hopefully it only gets better from here.  My steer won first in his feeder class(bitter sweet) :) .

farmboy

the key to salting an animal is getting it all over his mouth and then keeping it dry, 5 minutes before weighing, let him have a nice long drought. You should salt them 3-4 hours before weighing  and just give them hay