Fitting

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

Last year our fair started the wash, blow and show policy (as it is stated in the fair book) our beef superintendents said we may not have any proffesional cans and no dyes except for some show bloom and other than that we can use whatever fitting tricks available - they will feel your animal for adhesives.  Most people use shaving cream(it is allowed).  I was wondering if their are any other little tricks - my animals have very curly hair and my bulls is almost course.

red

I've washed in Woolite to help get the curl out.
Can you use Revive the night before? If so, wash the night before & blow-out. Spray in the Revive & blow for another 15 minutes. In the morning just rinse, no soap. The Revive helps w/ the pop for the hair.

How are your weights coming along?

Red

farmboy

ours allow the adhesives and everything, no dyes

RED- is their a correlation with hairy ears and body hair cause my little heifers ears cover up almost the whole tag and shes a fuzzball and the feeder (not the ace calf  ;) ) has NO hair in his ears and hes pretty slick  ???

shorthorns r us

what is considered a professional can?  is a jug a can?  is it mostly just no aerosol?  one more question,  is that really how to spell "aerosol"?

red

I think you see a fuzzy eared calf having more hair. also a trait in some Maine crosses to have fuzzy ears.

Red

Jill

farmboy said:
ours allow the adhesives and everything, no dyes

RED- is their a correlation with hairy ears and body hair cause my little heifers ears cover up almost the whole tag and shes a fuzzball and the feeder (not the ace calf  ;) ) has NO hair in his ears and hes pretty slick  ???
Yes there is, you can tell how much hair a calf will have by the amount of hair in the ears.  We had someone tell us this a couple of years ago and we have paid close attention since then and that is how it works.

farmboy

i'll try get some pics for comparison to show tonight but the hair in the heifers ears must be 5-6 inches long and shes just a march calf

Jill

We showed one last year that we were messing in her hair one day and I found an orange calfhood tag, she had so much hair you couldn't even see it, we just thought they hadn't put one in.

renegade

Well, where do you get revive, I don't have a blower right now but i may be able to barrow one - but the hair looks pretty good between the heat and not having a cool room/blower(doesn't look anywhere near the other pics I have seen but more than half the people around here) .  My steer is looking greeeeeat, not as good as i would like but really well for what has been going on this summer - as of monday i heard only about 12% of the calves would be making weight and we are going to have a hereford judge but she is marrying into one of the biggest angus families around so it will be an interesting show.

As for "what is a prefessional can" it is just aerosol cans like if it says sullivans or hamms its out and if they feel the adhesive you are S.O.L(sorry if i shouldn't say that), you can use any jugs like soaps and stuff.

renegade

Oh ya, horses went into the fair today and shows start tommarow. Livestock is weighed in tommarow between five and eight and we show market/showmanship friday and breeding saturday.  If I am not to tired i will post my weights tommarow - i have to be their @ 6 clean stalls, show horses for 4-5 hours, bring in cattle, work our booth and stay till eleven. WISH ME LUCK it will be crazy and funnnnnn!!!! :eek:

genes

I would probably stay away from shaving cream, as I think that would tend to make the hair more curly.  The best way to deal with that style is to have your hair really really well trained.  I don't know how long you have to go until your fair, but however long it is, get brushing  ;D

I second the Revive.  You should be able to get it wherever you get your show supplies.....more expensive than my own hair's conditioner, but so worth it.  It will still be ok if you can't get a blower, just brush in really well.    Hopefully you can borrow a blower on show day. 

I have a question though...what do people do for the tailhead when no adhesive is allowed?

renegade

I was told the shaving cream helps take out cowlicks and the like but the weigh in is tommarow and show day is friday/saturday.  For the tailhead i will ask the people who help me with my cattle i guess you could call them pros(they show at denver) but they don't do they hair thing (i think it is because of their breed) but they do do tail heads and training the hair.

red

Best of luck Renegade!

See if you can't borrow a blower, that will make all the difference in the world!

Red

renegade

Well, we weighed in today and i missed it by 30#. Weighed 1020, my brother's steer is 1 month older and weighed 1140.  My neighbor owns a huge lumber company, he usually buys fair steers so i think i will ask him if he would like to buy my steer, we are always swapping deer or duck or pig or fish meat with him so i think he will like the idea - he loves our cattle. 

red

I'm sorry Renegade. I'm sure you will do a lot better next year & will be right there at weight!

Red

pigguy

our fair is blow and show just you can do more then blow and show. we cant use adhesive, paint, or boneing soaps. we can use shaving creme, sheen products, jugs, . we can use whatever we want the days before the show.

afhm

How about some liquid hair spray, or some of the hair set training spray that show supply trailers sale(or atleast they used to haven't used any in years)