Fly air gun

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

Anyone try the air gun that shoots capsules of fly controll. Looks like it might cost 500 bucks to treat 300 head the first go around.

savaged

I have one and have used it once to date.  It worked as described in terms of delivery, but i can tell you that a couple of my cows were wary / suspicious of me drawing up beside them in the Gator for quite some time afterwards.    It must sting like a paint ball I suppose.  I missed a couple of shots until I got used to aiming it correctly.

The instructions describe a pretty elaborate desensitization / conditioning process that I did not do since my cows are pretty tame.  Basically, it's a way to psychologically pair getting shot with feeding time.  The gun is not loud at all so I think it's more about the sensation of impact.

The product seemed to work well for control, though I think my bigger cows need two doses (one per side) which I think will be a bit trickier to pull off.

AI Man

does it control the flys  if so just where they are shot or the whole body and for how long

JDman

Does anyone know if it works through a regular paintball gun or are the balls a different size?

angus214

The balls are larger than paint balls. Whe used one at a field day! Our cattle are gentle and we just spray them at feeding time! I was worried they would not be so gentle if we used the air gun! I think it would work great for someone who can't make contact with cattle without working them but the price is also a factor I feel a cow needs one on each side for best fly control!

savaged

The fly control was pretty good, but I do think larger cows will require two doses.  My cows did not run or panic at all, and the same ones that don't like to be sprayed are the same that were the most sensitive to the air gun as well.   

A fly control product I recently tried that I really liked is called Cyonara Pour On.  I found it on line because I had used their home pest control product.  The dose is very small (about 15 ml per animal) but boy did it immediately cut the flys on my cows.