For executive37

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortdawg

Ok folks, this is my new little March bull calf out of Jake's Proud Jazz and MS Tipper 937. He was here for only 12 days before we had him in the showring. He won his class, was Junior Bull Calf Champion, and Grand Champion Bull at the GA Nat'L Open Shorthorn Show. I've been having problems getting my memory stick to read so I scanned this pic. It's not the greatest in the world but it will do. That's my two boys with the ribbons and plaques and I'm on the halter. Any comments good or bad appreciated. (dog)

Attachments

• GA NAT'L PICS.jpg
    GA NAT'L PICS.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 863

OH Breeder

First off, CONGRATS! (clapping)
From what i can see, he looks to be clean made. Adequate bone. Looks like he is a thick little bugger. I personally like the white ones. I would like to see him from the front and rear, but of course work with what you have. I think he is a nice calf and you should be proud of your program. Only real fault and it could be the picture, is looks like he is a little round. But, soft made which I like.

colosteers

Looks like a darn nice calf.

You seem to have some experience with Jakes Proud Jazz.  Is he easy calving enough for heifers-  like every one says?

I got semen on him and intended to use it on cows at first, but used a couple of straws in some heifers.  So did I screw up or should it work in heifers that were moderate birth weights them selves (75-80 lbs)?  My dad used Leader 21 back in the old days and doesn't remember big calves, but didn't like the calves,  liked leader 9 better.

Keep the good ones coming and let me know about calving experience
Thanks and have a good one

TJ

1st... (clapping)

It looks like he is a "what you see, is what you get" type of bull in the picture.  If that's indeed the case... he's a really nice looking bull calf for the showring, IMHO! In a perfect world, I'd like to see him a little deeper in the heart .  Like OH Breeder, I'd be interested in seeing a front & rear view, but based on what I see, he's nice. 

Telos

He's a good one! Can't criticize him much. Congratulations and thanks for showing us a great calf with a wonderful family.

shortdawg

I've seen a lot of Proud Jazz calves and they all seem to come pretty easy. It's always hard for me to say a bull is true calving ease all the time because many people manage their cows or heifers differently; however,  I would not hesitate to use him on my heifers at all.
Blanco's soundness is what I like the best. He really moves very well and as I've heard on here you have to start from the ground up. We have a half brother steer here that we are showing and the little bull really mirrors him a lot. Both are deceiving in how thick they really are. In other words, because of the soft smooth look they have one may not realize how thick they are until you actually see them up close. I will hand breed him to a few this spring and then collect him for semen sales. I hope to have him in L'Ville if I can make it. Keep in mind when you veiw this pic that he had been weaned maybe 3 weeks and had rode 19 hours only a few days earlier. IMHO he is still really green and will only get better with time.

dori36

shortdawg said:
Ok folks, this is my new little March bull calf out of Jake's Proud Jazz and MS Tipper 937. He was here for only 12 days before we had him in the showring. He won his class, was Junior Bull Calf Champion, and Grand Champion Bull at the GA Nat'L Open Shorthorn Show. I've been having problems getting my memory stick to read so I scanned this pic. It's not the greatest in the world but it will do. That's my two boys with the ribbons and plaques and I'm on the halter. Any comments good or bad appreciated. (dog)

Looks real nice to me!  I also love your boys proudly holding up the ribbon!  Nice goin!    (clapping)

shortyisqueen

Doesn't look like he's going to be a big bull when he's mature, but he's definitely a solidly built little guy. After his recent moving tribulations, I'd say he's doing pretty well!!! Congratulations on your win!

On that note, does anyone know if you can get Proud Jazz semen in Canada?? ...It is tough to find a good American Shorthorn bull that has semen qualified for across the border...so I am always on the lookout...!

Show Heifer

(clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

If my Jazz babies look like this I will be SOOOOO happy!!!!

Nice name too!!! ;D

DL

4 good looking guys in one picture - nice shortdawg!

shortdawg

Thanks DL !  ;D
Shortyisqueen, If you'll PM me I'll put you in touch the owner of Jake's Proud Jazz so you can find out if his semen can cross the border.

shortdawg

Red, If I can make it he will be with me. I'm hoping we can get caught up on the farm so we can make the trip. We entered him, our two senior heifer calves, and a Jan. SH plus calf that we got from K-Kim. She's really nice but we are working on her attitude a little. She will be fine with a little more TLC.

shortdawg

shortdawg said:

Way back in '07

Warrior10

shortdawg said:
shortdawg said:

Way back in '07
This the "White Jazz" bull on executive sires?