For GB and Elbee (And anyone else who wants to offer an opinion)

Help Support Steer Planet:

JoeBnTN

Gary and Lee,

I promised to post a picture of the November bull calf I told you about, so here you go.  The first picture is just as Dad is getting ready to slip a halter on him – great disposition!  The second is one that’s a little better.  He’s a Matador (Tex X Missie 709) out of a Gizmo.  Birth weight was 70 lbs., he weaned at nearly 700 lbs., and is weighing around 850 right now.  Maybe not the “show bull’ type but I think he could improve a whole lot of Shorthorn cattle.

Any thoughts or opinions – we’re still trying to decide what to do.  We’ve had a little interest, just off his pedigree and his EPD’s, but we haven’t made any firm decisions on him yet.  Would be very interested in any thoughts you (or anyone else) had.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Nov. Bull - 2.JPG
    0 bytes · Views: 80
  • Nov. Bull - 1.JPG
    Nov. Bull - 1.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 801

JoeBnTN

Oops - here's the other picture

Attachments

• Nov Bull -2.JPG
    Nov Bull -2.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 794

OH Breeder

JBTn,

Do you have any rear angle shots? I like his length of spine from the side profile. Looks like he has some meat. I am a fan of the all red ones. I think your wrong about not being a show bull. He is very eye appealing hairy or not.

JoeBnTN

OH Breeder said:
JBTn,

Do you have any rear angle shots? I like his length of spine from the side profile. Looks like he has some meat. I am a fan of the all red ones. I think your wrong about not being a show bull. He is very eye appealing hairy or not.

Sorry I didn't get a rear quarter shot - but he's thick, with real muscle shape.  You've pegged him pretty good - very long sided, moderate frame (right now he's a 6) and adequte on bone with a great foot and big testicles.  Not much hair though, so he'll ahve to get by with what he's got.

aj

I like him. It is hard to argue with that low birth weight and great growth performance. I think he is a step in the right direction for the breed. Maybe he is the shorthorn bull that will be the next curve bender for abs. It would hard to go wrong with tex and gismo in the pedigree. I like them shorter bodied myself and deeper ribbed. He couldn't come from a better outfit though and it is hard to find the good red ones. (clapping)

justintime

Joe,
I really like this bull... looks very sound made with excellent muscle expression. He should be very marketable especially being and outcross to the Trump and also being solid red. I kinda think you could have some fun with this guy.

shortdawg

I've had a couple of red ones so I'm partial to them. This one is no exception, he's flat nice and should make a great breeding bull.

yuppiecowboy

Lets see... 70 lb bw. 700 lb ww. Solid red. Great muscle shape (and if that isnt a show bull I quit)

Looks to me if you could do something about that disposition problem you might have something.

Just from what we see numbers wise and picture wise you are the proud owner of EXACTLY what the shorthorn breed needs if they want commercial acceptance. You might have the posterchild.

ELBEE

Joe,  ;D

Before asking my opinion, here are a couple things to consider. Have I ever judged a show?  What is the average selling price of ELBEE cattle? What impact has ELBEE genetics had on the industry?

Now for your bull, he looks fault free and probably is. Does that mean he'll ever win a show, or bring a 100 grand?  How many bulls like him are running in pastures around the country breeding homozygous black cows producing certified angus beef? How many of those bulls were bought for a discounted price because they were "Shorthorn"?

As far as disposition goes, it must not be too important. Did you ever have to handle angus? :eek:

Now seriously, spend some money promoting him, and find some "funny money" to buy 1/2 interest in him for that 100 grand, and just maybe he'll be the next "great one".

One last question, is his damm the Gizmo heifer I brought down in "04"?

Lee

oakbar

He looks like the right kind to moderate some of the large framed cows(I have a few) in the breed right now.  Good looking bull.  How does he move??

garybob

He's about as good as ol' Oaklawn Dreamworks ( a bull I bought from Russell Sloan). Wish you guys could have seen him!

Joe, you have done the breed a favor, just don't sell him out-right, and, retain a piece of him. Maybe have a SP Syndicate, of all us on here, as partial owners of a great breeding piece. He's worth cloning, in my opinion, even slick-haired!

Take him to Denver.

GB

JoeBnTN

oakbar said:
He looks like the right kind to moderate some of the large framed cows(I have a few) in the breed right now.  Good looking bull.  How does he move??
[/quote

I agree I think he can knock some frame off without giving up any pounds.  So far he's sound as a cat, moves easy and sets his foot down right.  I really like the angle to his shoulder and he's got the right set to his hock and give in his pastern.  If he's still moving this good at 1250-1500 lbs. I think he'll have a real chance to change some cattle.

Thanks for the comments.

Joe

itk

I really like the bull as well and appreciate his pedigree most of all, as it shows how versatile shorthorn cattle can be. There are members on here who continue to talk down about showring cattle yet if I remember right Tex was the National Champion bull just a few years ago and Gizmo has sired as many of those fuzzy little steers as any bull in the breed. So I say thank you for showing us what the breed can be and how multifunctional some of these genetics are despite the beliefs of some.

garybob

itk said:
I really like the bull as well and appreciate his pedigree most of all, as it shows how versatile shorthorn cattle can be. There are members on here who continue to talk down about showring cattle yet if I remember right Tex was the National Champion bull just a few years ago and Gizmo has sired as many of those fuzzy little steers as any bull in the breed. So I say thank you for showing us what the breed can be and how multifunctional some of these genetics are despite the beliefs of some.
So long as showring cattle can:
a. walk
b.ain't too hairy for tougher environmnets & are adaptable to a wide variety of climates and topography. i.e. hills, rocks, heat, blizzards, ice, hills, endophyte, higher humidity, etc.
c. are gentle enough for ease of handling and feedlot/carcass performance. Yet, cows are maternallly mean enough to fight predators & Bulls are hot-natured enough to go and service a bunch of cows, not just 10 or 15.
d. can reproduce annuallly, without assistance (including calving). This includes Lutalyse and "slight assistance".
e. have  gender-correct phenotype--especially the bulls.
f. adequate marbling, without YG 5's and 4's. Also should posses genetic traits of tenderness, as well.
g. are free of skeletal problems, with correct feet (including heel depth).

Hope I don't bore anyone with my "wishes" for the future. I agree. The 2 CAN be united, albeit, with different cattle than we have today.

GB

knabe

cross that bull on some maine's, especially the larger framed, cow hocked, break in the shoulder, pointy shoulder, slab ribbed one's.