Ford Ecoboost

Help Support Steer Planet:

GoWyo

Maybe the used gasser is the one to buy.  Put the rest of your money into something that produces income.

CAB

chambero said:
-XBAR- said:
I'd challenge anyone to go take a test drive in a gmc or chevy w/ the 6.2 liter Ecotech and tell me they still prefer the Ecoboost

Are you driving that in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.  Late this year I'm going to trade my one ton Dodge diesel in for a new 1 ton Ford or Chevy with a gas engine.  I'm sick of the extra expense of a diesel.  I've paid enough $1500-$3000 repair/maint bills for replacing an injector or cleaning out the emissions system.

We're in the process of dealing on a 2009 dually with the 6.8 L / 10 cylinder gas engine in it in part B/C of the repair costs anytime that you have to open up a diesel engine. Anyone have any opinions about that particular Ford gas engine? Also any opinions about a 4:10 geared rear end?

DLD

CAB said:
We're in the process of dealing on a 2009 dually with the 6.8 L / 10 cylinder gas engine in it in part B/C of the repair costs anytime that you have to open up a diesel engine. Anyone have any opinions about that particular Ford gas engine? Also any opinions about a 4:10 geared rear end?

They're good motors.  I had one (an '01 - I'd still have it was a 4x4), and if everything goes according to plan, I'll be looking for another one this fall. My nephew has an '08 with 220K+ miles - the only thing it's needed outside of regular maintenance is a fuel pump.  People (mostly the ones that have no experience with them) will tell you the mileage is awful - it's not great, but the one's I've been around are no worse than the diesels I've been around either.  You'll want the lower gear ratio, 4.10's or even 4.30's, because these motors make their torque at higher rpm's.  3.73's are alright if you don't pull much, but if you do you'll be much happier with the lower ratio's.

CAB

DLD said:
CAB said:

They're good motors.  I had one (an '01 - I'd still have it was a 4x4), and if everything goes according to plan, I'll be looking for another one this fall. My nephew has an '08 with 220K+ miles - the only thing it's needed outside of regular maintenance is a fuel pump.  People (mostly the ones that have no experience with them) will tell you the mileage is awful - it's not great, but the one's I've been around are no worse than the diesels I've been around either.  You'll want the lower gear ratio, 4.10's or even 4.30's, because these motors make their torque at higher rpm's.  3.73's are alright if you don't pull much, but if you do you'll be much happier with the lower ratio's.

Thanks, that's good info. The truck that we are looking at has 4:10s and we are hooked onto a trailer most of the time. I didn't know if I'd like the 4:10 B/C of slower road speed and lower miles per gal of fuel, but I also know that if the gas motor is lugging itself and shifting constantly that's something is gonna have to give eventually and when buy a truck we run it until she's done.

bim1986

Thanks for the info.  I think we are going to go with 3/4 ton gas.  Just need to wait until the 2015 comes out and see what kind of deals they were offering on the 2014.

Part Timer

The 6.8 v10 is good motor. I kinda wish I still had mine, drove it for five years and only had one sensor in the rearend go out. The one I had came with 4.30 gears and that thing was a good hard pulling truck. 11 mpg empty and 9 mpg pulling. Didn't matter how you drove it that is what it got.

RyanChandler

GONEWEST said:
-XBAR- said:
It's a testament to the strength of our economy

If anyone ever wondered if you're a moron dope head this should again remove all doubt

Then enlighten us all how Ford is continually able to increase domestic sale numbers despite annual price increases? And I'd love to blow a fat cloud right in your face- maybe I'll get the opportunity one day  8)