Fun Calf Names

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Good topic!
The Maine-Anjou prefix this year is T, so mine will start with a T. My husband wants to name one Tuna though! :-[
Poor calf.
Tammi
Tuffy
Tank
Taylor Hicks
Timmy & so one. I'm not very creative. We get more creative with their nicknames.
Red

larryj

My son named one of my calves "Teddy Bear." He is got big, thick fur.  ;D

red

larryj said:
My son named one of my calves "Teddy Bear." He is got big, thick fur.  ;D
actually Teddy Bear is another pick for this year! Someone was describing the bulls at Denver as big Teddy Bears with a fitter & I thought that would be a great name for a bull.
Red

ShowStopper

We tend to name ours after well known people or characters in movies. I had a huge steer one year, so I named him Arnold after Cali's governor. Last year it was Harry and Lloyd (from dumb and dumber). We've also had a Pancho and Lefty, Mambo (from the song Mambo #5) things like that.

red

admin said:
I just refer to them all as Fred.   ;D
You sound like my husband, everything this year he is calling Timmy. There will be Timmy1, Timmy 2 & so on. I told him I'd like to wait until we have a bull before he starts that!
Red not Timmy

heatwave

I have a calf name Champ, but I call him by another name when he is stubborn.  ;D

RSC

heatwave said:
I have a calf name Champ, but I call him by another name when he is stubborn.   ;D

I was helping a friend yesterday calve out a first calf heifer.  The heifer was a black rockstar and she was bred to a calving ease charolais bull so we were expecting a smoke,  The calf is a red brockle face with white splattered on her legs as well.  I am sure she will lighten up and be that creme char color but wet she looked like a Hereford.

Anyway,  The minute his daughters made it home from school and took one look at the calf, they named her Strawberry Shortcake!

RSC

red

That is a really interesting color combination RSC! Thanks for the post. It's funny when they don't come out color-wise they way we expect them too. i'm sure someone like "genes" could give us a really good background on this. ;)
Red

justme

My daughter named her heifer after a horse in her favorite book the Saddle Horse Club.  Her name is Delilah.  We also have her ewe which is named Hannah Montana.  Of course my husband has names for some of our cows I cann't mention on here lol (lol)

red

justme said:
My daughter named her heifer after a horse in her favorite book the Saddle Horse Club.  Her name is Delilah.  We also have her ewe which is named Hannah Montana.  Of course my husband has names for some of our cows I cann't mention on here lol (lol)
Yes, but please tell us the donkey's name! (dog)
Red

justme

My donkey's name is Bidonkidonk.  ;D  My corgi is stitcharooni...fitting name since I sew

genes

red said:
admin said:
I just refer to them all as Fred.  ;D
You sound like my husband, everything this year he is calling Timmy. There will be Timmy1, Timmy 2 & so on. I told him I'd like to wait until we have a bull before he starts that!
Red not Timmy

My dad is sort of like that in that he doens't call all the calves that, but all the ones that he deals with a lot, like if they need some extra help, or they get cross fostered, or beong to the milk cow etc etc.  Male and female.  Though one heifer that entered the cow herd he modified to "Jinny".  ::)

Well if anyone has twins this year they can borrow my TweedleDee and TweedleDum

I have to think about the Rockstar calf  (ie..look at rockstar's pedigree) for a minute.

austin

Years ago we named all our calves after presidents. Bill Clinton had conflicts with FDR occasionally.

cowz

Austin said:
Years ago we named all our calves after presidents. Bill Clinton had conflicts with FDR occasionally.

Hey, I like the president idea, that would be fun to match up their personalities.  The lady we used to work for in SD named a bunch of her bulls after Civil War battles.  Really made a person bone up on their American History.

austin

cowz said:
Austin said:

Hey, I like the president idea, that would be fun to match up their personalities.  The lady we used to work for in SD named a bunch of her bulls after Civil War battles.  Really made a person bone up on their American History.

LOL, we did stay away from assassinated presidents. Didn't want any bad fortunes.  ;D

angus2rite

My kids like "pokemon"  :p and they call my heifers pokemon names. I can't recall---something like picacha? charzard. uh.. bulbasour

Yeah, it's weird, but gotta love em.  (cow)

Joe Boy

I have 7 granddaughters and the next two heifers will be named after the last two born.  The others have calves named after them.  I am naming my Lifeline bull after Red.  I have thought about another name to go with Red..... Red Line or Red Jazzline---  What do some of you think?  He likes me.  His ear tag is 129.

My brother-in-law names his heifers after all the women at church.  In our small congregation that would not work for me, as we have 4 Judy's.  I wonder if they would like me to be like Robert Duval and call them #1, #2, #3, and #4? (lol) (lol) (lol)