Fun Calf Names

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Joe Boy said:
I have 7 granddaughters and the next two heifers will be named after the last two born.  The others have calves named after them.  I am naming my Lifeline bull after Red.  I have thought about another name to go with Red..... Red Line or Red Jazzline---  What do some of you think?  He likes me.  His ear tag is 129.

My brother-in-law names his heifers after all the women at church.  In our small congregation that would not work for me, as we have 4 Judy's.  I wonder if they would like me to be like Robert Duval and call them #1, #2, #3, and #4? (lol) (lol) (lol)
How about Buckeye Red?

Joe Boy

You know I cannot do that.  I was at the game when Ohio State beat Texas this year.... being a Texan and all.....  I think Red Man is bad....  I call ever bull or boy pup, "Boy."  Sometimes I put "Dumb" or "Stupid" in front of it..... 

Red Beans might be good, since I think he looks like the bull to put me in the beans..... 
Red Star....  he has a star on his face....
Since his granddad on both the dam and sire is Habanero, why not, Red Hot, Red Pepper, or Roho or Colorado.... I think both are Spanish words for red... Red Frijoles....  What do you think?

red

Joe Boy, actualy the beans thing is really good, especially if the bull is named after me. I have a lot of excess wind sometimes!!! (lol)
Red

garybob

As to heifer calves, If it were me, I'd try to give 'em the same name as their dams, but include a year code or serial number to distinguish them apart. Ex: ) GM Maggie 235. She was the fourth member of that cow family calved on my place. Just makes it simpler to remember and allows you the ability to make generalized comparisons between cow families. Larger ranches do things this way. Kind of hard to remember off the top of your head who Jiffy's sire and dam are, if you have more than ten head without getting the pedigree out. This is the norm of herds that practice intense line breeding. Bull calves should be given unique names that have a ring to them. Above all, make sure he is worthy of staying sexually intact and out of a fail-safe cow before leaving him a bull. THEN give him a name. 'Til then, he should be just a tag number.

Joe Boy

On our heifers we have also tried to name them after their sire.  Sometimes a part of the dam's name and sire's name are combined. 

I like the president thing... that was good.

brahmergirl

My son's great grandmother gave him the idea when we started out with our registered brahma's of naming them like they did their milk cows.  All 5 letter names and starting with one letter.  That was fine when you had two cows then as the numbers grew, you couldn't remember their names.  REALLY confusing!

We have CK's First Daisy, CK's Dotty, Ck's second Darlin (darla), CK's Mama Molly ( mama cow) CK's Good Golly Miss Dolly (daughter cow), CK's darlin little darcy, CK's Mr. Powercat (go K-state wildcats), Dawn's Manny, and Rascal (CK's Mr. Earl Lee Rascal because he was a month early ???

That's our critters. (cow)

angus2rite

brahmergirl said:
My son's great grandmother gave him the idea when we started out with our registered brahma's of naming them like they did their milk cows.  All 5 letter names and starting with one letter.  That was fine when you had two cows then as the numbers grew, you couldn't remember their names.  REALLY confusing!

We have CK's First Daisy, CK's Dotty, Ck's second Darlin (darla), CK's Mama Molly ( mama cow) CK's Good Golly Miss Dolly (daughter cow), CK's darlin little darcy, CK's Mr. Powercat (go K-state wildcats), Dawn's Manny, and Rascal (CK's Mr. Earl Lee Rascal because he was a month early ???

That's our critters. (cow)

ahhhh...nice names.  (cow)

Colorado2009

I am in my seventh year of showing steers. Here are the names of the calves that I have had so far:

Rowdy
Toby
Sweetie(heifer)
Bugs
Taz
Bodacious
Boomer
Daisy
Shooter
Jaq
Bullseye
Buddy
Jasper

Those are all of the ones I have had so far. This year I have LeVain and Drake. My horses names are Cheyenne and Dido and I have had horses named Abby, Cookie, Jake, Dandy, Stardust, and Beyonca. I have two dogs named Buster and Sisco. I have a cow named Big Mama and I had a cow named Zee. I have had cats named Sydney, Ziggy, Raberto, Styx, Snowball, Oddball, Timone, Little Dipper, Seashell, and a bunch of others. My bunnies names have been Rocky, Patch, Angel, and bunches of others. So yeah, there you have it. Some interesting names. Comment on them if you want. ;)

red

Colorado2009 said:
I am in my seventh year of showing steers. Here are the names of the calves that I have had so far:

Rowdy
Toby
Sweetie(heifer)
Bugs
Taz
Bodacious
Boomer
Daisy
Shooter
Jaq
Bullseye
Buddy
Jasper

Those are all of the ones I have had so far. This year I have LeVain and Drake. My horses names are Cheyenne and Dido and I have had horses named Abby, Cookie, Jake, Dandy, Stardust, and Beyonca. I have two dogs named Buster and Sisco. I have a cow named Big Mama and I had a cow named Zee. I have had cats named Sydney, Ziggy, Raberto, Styx, Snowball, Oddball, Timone, Little Dipper, Seashell, and a bunch of others. My bunnies names have been Rocky, Patch, Angel, and bunches of others. So yeah, there you have it. Some interesting names. Comment on them if you want. ;)

Great names Colorado girl!! We've had several Buddy's. My cat is King Killer Kitty.
(welcome)
Gald yoy joined us!
Red (cow)

OH Breeder

red said:
That is a really interesting color combination RSC! Thanks for the post. It's funny when they don't come out color-wise they way we expect them too. i'm sure someone like "genes" could give us a really good background on this. ;)
Red
I have seen quiet a few Rock Star steers that are colored. Cathy, the Grand Champion steer at the county fair last year was a roan shorthorn looking rock star calf.

red

Yes, I think that was the first time a red steer won our county fair!
What about the wild patterened black & white steer at the state fair? That was one loud colored steer!

Red

farmboy

TWO YEARS AGO I HAD 2 BIG STEERS AND A FEEDER

HEWEY (cow)
DEWEY (cow)
LEWEY (cow)

HEWEY WENT TO THE FAIR AND WON RATE OF GAIN
DEWEY GOT BUTCHERED AND WAS TASTY
LEWEY GOT 5/8 IN THE FEEDERS AND THE NEXT YEAR 3/5 IN BIG STEERS

Chap

back in '79 my first steer was to be named "Bullwinkle" after the Rocky and Bullwinkle show, but my dad reminded me he was not a bull, and therefore his name became "Steerwinkle"  Continuing to date myself, the 2 steers the next year were Poncho and Lefty.  The only memorable one since was "Whoppa", a straight angus home raised steer that was really cool as a baby, unfortunatley, at about 800 lbs became a leg swinger and therefore ended up becoming a Whopper.

justme

we once had Supper, t-bone, and ribeye in the barn...kinda morbid but funny

shortyjock89

Two years ago, we named all the steer calves with "R" names.  We had Rocket, Ringo, Rufus, Ralph, Rodney, and Ron.  This year we have a heifer named Time to Shine and one named Candy.  We bought a bull and the owner let us name him...I named him Magic Man after the Talladega Nights movie....if only we had anoter bull we could name "El Diablo"...we would have the set  (lol)  Oh and I nearly forgot...my showsteer this year is named Nacho..after Nacho Libre.  My sister got bored one day and went out to the pasture and named him as he was taking a nap with his head in her lap...what a baby..

OH Breeder

Bull calf He-Man
Steer- Winston and Bullseye ( direct hit son)
Hiefers- Velvet, Jeanine(kadabara sire), Glitter ( mariah), Maybaline, Lily
Cows, TEss, Blanche, Pumpkin, Chilli, SIngle Tag, Fergi, Mossy, MS. Biz, Peaches, Rose
some we just call by there sires name ie Debull, power plant, who cow, meyer
We were going to call Ms. Biz - Oh My, because she is all black with the exception on her side she has a white ring or O just on her non show side
still working on some of the calves from this calving season

Latest posts