Fun with Rain

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

I know some of you folks are dry, but we still aren't.

We were supposed to ship our calf crop last Saturday but had to cancel because couldn't get the cattle or trucks to the working pens.  Luckily our buyer is being understanding and not wanting to renegotiate our contract. 

The worst part is we've now started getting foot rot problems.  The cattle are in very tall grass (supposed to be a good thing) but their feet can't get dried out and we've had to doctor about a dozen calves for it.  Since we can't get to them very easy, we've actually had to resort to old fashioned "headin and heelin".  Its the first time most of our cows have even seen horses.

Not much fun right now.  But it could be worse.

red

send the rain this way! It's up in the 90's & thet little rain we got sure went fast.

What do you treat w/ for the footrot & at what doseage. Seems to be a lot of it going around.

Red

chambero

Don't pounce me, but the vet still has us use Micotil.  All I can say is that it does work with one dose.  We (as in me) are just really careful using it.  Right now, we don't have time to mess around with expiramenting with other stuff.  It is distinctly better in my opinion than Nuflor or LA-200 (which never seems to work on anything for us).

I would like to know if Draxxin works on foot rot.  Our vet doesn't know the answer to that one.  Apparently most folks in our area are to "tight" to spend the money on using it.  We have started using it for respiratory with great results.  I also really like the short withdrawal time on it. 

Show Heifer

OK Chambero......I'll let ya off with my standard warning on Micotil.....DON"T INJECT YOURSELF.  You know the rest.
By the way, in sheep, Nuflor seems to work well. Maybe a different strain??

justintime

I have used a large dose of Oxytet LA for many years. Usually only takes one shot. Every few years I go back to using Penicillin LA . Both are relatively cheap and seem to work for me

Latest posts