furnace setting

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

my furnace is set at 57F
it's been freezing lately, but setting seems ok
what's yours

CAB

Knabe, you must have the #s turned around. I couldn't keep anyone else in my house if it was 57 degrees LOL. Ours is set @ 74 today. It got a little chilly here in Iowa last nite. 16 degrees @ 6am. I have a ground to air heat pump or you can bet it would be set lower. The last house we lived in had an old wood burning stove in the kitchen, so that,s the only thing we lit up. Areas of the house were colder than others.

red

Despite my hot flashes, mine is set at 72. yes, we are big huge wimps!!!!

Red

knabe

fifty-seven.

i do wear sweats in bed, wife's warm blooded.  though it gets cold, it's been warm during the day still which captures a little heat and the south side of the house is the longest exposed wall.  we are getting double paned windows shortly to chase bills down further.  our son works at a glass company and he got about 25% off, and he owes me as he drank a bunch of my expensive wine during his problem years so "free" labor, but not really free.  also getting the windows as it condenses a lot if house is too warm and causes fungus problems.

cattlejunky

We keep ours at 69.  it is 32.6 in central Indiana today. It was 20 this morning.  We are all warm blooded.  My inlaws freeze when they come over in the winter and we boil at their house.  We all take shorts on winter holidays.

SWMO

69 during the day when non of us are at home.  70 -72 when I am there.  I admit I am a wimp.  I live in SW Missouri and am still too far North.

common sense

I can't function below 70 but I keep ours set at 72.  We have TONS of windows so it's really cozy in here this afternoon.  I have a goose down comforter...but it's mostly on my side of the bed.  If I set the thermostat any lower I would have to let the critters sleep with me to keep me warm.  I might be able to eat crackers in bed but relying on my partner to warm my feet would be asking too much!!!

Jill

Our house is on 2 furnaces, the back is set at 67 and the front it set at 62.  I am cold blooded, but we are on propane so you learn to live with it.  In the front of the house we also have a corn burning fireplace unit that keeps the upstairs bedrooms plenty warm, it was great when corn was cheap, not so economical with high dollar corn.

dutch pride

Ours is set at 65 in the living areas and 55 in the bedrooms. We  have hot water heat with three different zones. We do use electric blankets and heavy comforter to keep warm in bed sometimes. Cold with snow and ice last couple days in west Michigan.

DLZ

pigguy

ours is set at like 75-80 we are on natural gas, and its free and we have real old windows so you have to keep it ste high to keep the house kinda warm

jason

I am cheap, I try to keep it off.  I have a programmable one that I have run when I go to bed than shut off an hour after.  When it gets a bit colder, I will throw some logs in the fireplace.

SKF

We still have our air on. We are suppose to get a cold front today they said it will be in the low 70's. I guess I will have to break out the winter clothes out and turn the heat on ;D!! Honestly I don't know how you all handle all that cold weather it hits 60 here and I am freezing.

OH Breeder

62 while here and 50 when gone. Old victorian home that we use space heaters in between to warm the rooms we occupy. Heavy blankets and lots of goose down. Gas is outrageous when you have an old drafty house.

red

I'm glad I don't live w/ you OH B! I'd freeze my skinny butt off! I have long underwear on already & thermal socks. I think the lack of fat is keeping me freezing.

Red

AAOK

Ours is set at 72, but hasn't run much yet.  We've had one day the temp stayed below 45 all day, and one night we got below freezing.  Today's high is 70.  Here's a picture I just received from my sister in Vermont; 12" and forecast to continue through Thursday.

Vermont12-3-07.jpg

knabe

finished putting in the double pane windows.

there was a major snafu in that the measurements for the existing windows was complicated by two different dimensions of the existing windows (we measured the larger opening), so when the windows arrived, they were about 1/4" too big.  so we sawzalled it away and installed them.

we also extensively caulked the outside, and the inside, and then placed the beauty strips to "hide" the replacement windows.  we got single hungs, doubles were too expensive, prone to leaks.  we didn't get sliders.  we replaced aluminum single panes, as well as a double pane front window that leaked badly and also had those faux panes which obstructed view.

i started timing the time it took the heater to go off from different temps to our 57 degree setting, and it was about 7-10 minutes shorter.  cycle time, ie the time it took for the heater to come back on was increased by about 20-30 minutes.

i took a couple of readings before and after installation.

no longer do you walk up to the window and it's freezing.

we found one significant draft after the windows were installed and two cold points.

the front door is not sealed well, and the two tubs are significant sources of cool as there is no insulation on the tub and they are both next to outside vents in the crawl space.

we use LP gas, not PG&E, so it's a little more expensive and less efficient, ie 15% less efficient i believe than natural gas.  it makes our gas stove not as hot as well, so those steaks take a little longer to sear.

we replaced replaced 5 48x48 windows, one 8foot window (the front one), and two bathroom windows for $2000 for the windows at 25% off (my son works at milguard) and we installed them ourselves.

all in all, i'd say a decent investment.  probably take 7-10 years to get our money back.

when we purchased the house, the previous owners had relocated the front door over a vent and left it unplugged in the crawl space.  also, the venting is pretty poor, so some improvements could be made there as well.

a new thing out here is to use 2" pvc piping to pipe air throughout the house.  it comes out the walls at about a 2-3' height.  kinda neat, but obviously not easily retrofittable.