Fuzzy Carpet body look help

Help Support Steer Planet:

DEA

Need some help:

How do you get the "fuzzy/carpet" look on the body?  We have a calf with alot of hair that is well trained to go forward/upward angle, but when he blow it forward/upward angle it lays flat perfectly (smooth weighted down look), but doesn't have the "fuzzy" look  to it.  How do we get this look?  Do we clip it to make it look this way, if so what blades work best, - basically how should we do it?  Welcome any/all advice. 

Chap

if you have that really long hair and have been working it regularly, you may be getting a build up of oil on the hair which is weighing it down.  You probably need to body clip them as well to give that smoother look and to get the hair to "pop".  I am sure there are better experts than me on how to and what kind of blade to use.  if you have a coarse hair on the body, you are porbably not going to get the look you desire.  Hair has to be thick and long, not just long

DLD

Yes, you need to clip them all over to get that look you refer to.  Taking the ends off of each hair will make it all pop much easier.
Use whatever type of blocking blade you're comfortable with, and just go for it.  Take off just a little at a time 'til you get the look you desire - it just takes time and patience.  As Jill and JSchroeder say, a big part of it's genetics, but if you already have long thick hair, you can get the look you desire with a little work.  Like Chap said, be sure and don't let the hair get weghted down with oils, etc...  Personally I prefer to use only sheen or a sheen/ liniment mixture, blown in well, when I'm clipping.

Hope that helps.

Cowgurl101

my steers hair was like this and this is what i was told - blow, blow, and then blow some more. Start by washing him, add some zoom bloom, and blow for an hour or so.  I didnt think it would really work until i tried it - it just takes a long tiime. I had been fighting with his hair all year, but when i did this my steer looked like one of the better haired steers at our state fair. Good luck!!