Ga Jr beef futurity

Help Support Steer Planet:

Superblocker

What will you be showing? My daughter will be showing a steer(850 lbs) and two heifers. If gas prices dont let up, this may be our last year for this show.

SKF

My daughter is showing one shorthorn steer and one heifer. I wonder if the show will be smaller this year because of the gas prices.

Superblocker

With the cost of everything getting so far out of hand, I have to imagine that there will be less calves than in the years past. I know we have four families going up there from Fl. I'm hauling ten calves up there so we dont have to haul as many trailers. Were all going to cook out every night in the parking lot instead of eating out. Everyone is doing what they can to save money while we are up there (so we can put it in the tank to get there and back). We'll have fun though, thats what its all about. Hopefully there wont be any big health problems this year.

SKF

After last years show we vaccinated all our show calves for rabbies. I know of at least one other family from our town thats going their bring 2 steers and 1 heifer.  How long of a drive is it for you? It takes us about 7hrs.

shortdawg

We are planning on going ! I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, my sister lives there so we stay at her place  instead of a motel. We will be showing a SH steer and a SH heifer. Our heifer will show in commercial this time; we don't have her papers yet. :( :mad:

Superblocker

It takes about 5 1/2 hrs for us. On the rabbies issue, we had a family in our county that had a steer and two heifers up there last year. They found out that on the last night there, they tied up face to face with the animal that died. The state quarantined all of their animals for six months and had the whole family get treatments. Our fair is in January. About two weeks after our fair, the state lifted the quarantine. They plan to attend again this year but I can guarantee they will not be tying out at night. Shortdawg, maybe we'll see ya there.
I'll be set up next to an aluminum trailer out in the parking lot with a 10x20 white tent. I'll be cooking out every evening. Yall stop by and see us.

shortdawg

FYI, They moved the tie-outs to the area behind where they check health papers. It's a pretty long walk.

SKF, I might be down your way this weekend; will you all be around ?

SKF

shortdawg said:
FYI, They moved the tie-outs to the area behind where they check health papers. It's a pretty long walk.

SKF, I might be down your way this weekend; will you all be around ?

We'll be around. If you come down this way please come by.

Superblocker

Hey Shortdawg, I'm just off I-75 once you get thru Tampa. Were having a little get together and cooking some bar b q pork. If your interested, let me know.(I'll teach you how to cook like a gator)

shortdawg

(dog) (dog) (dog) I'm a DAWG gone good BBQ'er. If I make it down there I was coming back up that way b/c I wanted to go by the Farmer's Market at Plant City and maybe stop by and check out Russell's calves over at Caney Valley. I've sold Watermelons and Cantaloupes to people that sell at that market for years.

Superblocker

Were about an hour and ten minutes south of russ' place. We take our calves to him to get their hooves trimmed and he takes care of most of my A.I. needs. He's pretty good people.

SKF

shortdawg said:
(dog) (dog) (dog) I'm a DAWG gone good BBQ'er. If I make it down there I was coming back up that way b/c I wanted to go by the Farmer's Market at Plant City and maybe stop by and check out Russell's calves over at Caney Valley. I've sold Watermelons and Cantaloupes to people that sell at that market for years.

Where in Fl are you going?

Superblocker

Don't know Tx. From what I understand, the steer died a week or so after the show. The state did an autopsy and found out that it had rabbies. Then they back tracked with the owners to find out where it was stalled and tied out while at the show and contacted everyone that may have been in contact with him.

SKF

txshowlamb said:
how id the steer get rabbies last year?

How don't know how the calf got rabbies but I know they did not know it had rabbies until they were at the show. About a month after the show they sent all the exhibitors a letter infoming them about the calf with rabbies. I guess they called theones who were directly in contact with the infected calf. We now vaccinate all our show calves for rabbies.

occ

FL people, do ya'll know if Bill Holton is going to the beef futurity?  We grew up together, I saw him at the show last year for the first time in probably 18 years, and hope to look him up if he is there this year.
Where are ya'll usually located in the barn?
Good luck to all going.  Hope ya'll have a safe trip.