Gas Milage!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

I am looking for a new truck already, I have a 99 dodge 3500, with a 5.9 diesel in it, and I can't afford $4.16 diesel for it. I am looking at some older models 97-02 3/4 or 1 tons trucks. I am needing it to be gas or a diesel with good gas milage at least 16 mpg on highway. Which truck would you say???

We have an 03 dodge diesel and it gets about 24 mpg on the highway but I cant afford to buy one of those(25,000). I was thinking a 99 ford gas, any one know how they do on gas milage??

knabe

if you want to pull with the big v8, expect milage around 10.  if you get the 5.7 liter, you can pull about a 2-3 horse trailer without too much complaint and get about 15 max.  neighbor has one, and that's what he gets.  politicians, refuse to supply more oil under any circumstances 85% of the coast is off limits.  my feeling, is that it's gonna get worse, and things will turn around. 

interesting project off santa barbara coast beyond the jurisdiction of the city, they are asking the city if they can sideways drill to within city jurisdiction waters.  don't know the outcome yet.

in my area, no commuter in his right mind drives anything bigger than camry size vehicle anymore.  i've never seen more civics and corolla's on the road than right now.

i don't recommend a hybrid.  i have one with 220,000 on it.  no problems, but the cost compared to a civic or corolla is a wash, and the technology is a lot simpler with those, and repairs will be cheaper with the NON-hybrids.

get two vehicles.  a purpose built truck and a purpose built commuter.  drive the truck when you need to.

call you govt representatives to increase domestic supply more, and tax less and spend less.  you are doing it right now, but the govt won't.  CA is flush with 5 billion in new revenues from the taxes on gas, and they are trying to spend it instead of get out of debt.

BCCC

I wont be pulling very often and when I do it wont be a super heavy load (20 foot trailer, with 4 show heifers at the max) and if it is a super heavy load I wont be the one paying for the fuel. I for sure want at least a 3/4 ton.

How long do you think it will be before diesel prices go down??

showsteerdlux

There are some people in the eastern end of the state(NC) that are making biodiesel out the door for .70 cents/gallon out the door. Add in tax and it puts it to about 1.25/gallon. All they do is go around and get the leftover veg. oil, heat it up, mix it with some methanol and walla you have diesel. This summer I am going to try and get me a little operation goin and start cranking out the fuel.

doubled

Isnt it terrible what gas has gone too. traveling to shows this year will be terrible, we are definately going to slow down..  we are gonna sell out big truck also
it has a 454 engine (gas) but only gets about 10 miles to the gallon,  I sure hate to though.

kanshow

My BIL makes biodiesel ..  His cars all smell like bad french fries..  On the upside, he's lost weight since starting to use it because he can't stand to eat fried foods anymore.   

We have a  97 power stroke and the MPG on it is around 15-17, it's a one ton 4 x4, if that makes any difference.    I drive a 4 x 4  Ford V10 gas 3/4 and get around 12 - 14.

steermaker

I wish you could buy road diesel for 4.19 here.  Some places are up to as much as 4.50.  Can't complain too much as my new Ram gets 21-23 MPG.  Still wish the price of fuel would come down.

showgirl2010

I would say this will be the last year or summer for INSANE gas prices.  The election is in the fall.

Jamie

BCCC

kanshow said:
My BIL makes biodiesel ..   His cars all smell like bad french fries..  On the upside, he's lost weight since starting to use it because he can't stand to eat fried foods anymore.     

We have a  97 power stroke and the MPG on it is around 15-17, it's a one ton 4 x4, if that makes any difference.    I drive a 4 x 4  Ford V10 gas 3/4 and get around 12 - 14.
what year is your v-10?? and what diesel engine does your 97 have in it?

jason

I have an 01 3/4 Ton Ford with 7.3 Diesel.  The ford mpg calculator reads about 20 with an avg of city and highway, but I would really guess more like 16-17.

I added a chip and put it on economy setting.

DFSC

I know the new 6.7 dodge diesels get really good fuel mpg somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 to 19 without a chip.

Jill

showgirl2010 said:
I would say this will be the last year or summer for INSANE gas prices.  The election is in the fall.

Jamie

I wish I could share you optimism, but I don't see this election making anything better.  I think we have a long road ahead of us.

BCCC

DFSC said:
I know the new 6.7 dodge diesels get really good fuel mpg somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 to 19 without a chip.
That is crap for the newer dodges. Ours and others gets 16 fully loaded without a chip, and 24 on highway. When I drove my bosses new 6.7 it only got 15mpg when it was on the highway.  However the 15mpg is still way better then my 8mpg

kimbaljd

BCCC said:
DFSC said:
That is crap for the newer dodges. Ours and others gets 16 fully loaded without a chip, and 24 on highway. When I drove my bosses new 6.7 it only got 15mpg when it was on the highway.  However the 15mpg is still way better then my 8mpg

I have heard the same thing. They are only getting 15-16 at the most.

linnettejane

had to run out late last night to get a gallon of milk for the little one...didnt feel like going all the way to wally world, so i stopped at the first open gas station i could find.....and what a shocker!!!  gas (regular unleaded) had went from 3.49 the day before to 3.66...............and i had to pay 4.99 for a gallon of 2% milk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  heaven help us!!!

red

wow, I paid $2.50 at Walmart for skim last week. Might have been sale price but I think normal is $3.69.

Red

fluffer

red said:
wow, I paid $2.50 at Walmart for skim last week. Might have been sale price but I think normal is $3.69.

Red

I am in the grocery biz and can tell you Walmart will sell anything in their store at a loss just to be lower then the comp.  Even if we were not in comp with them, I would still not shop there- even if they do have lower prices!  They sell cheap stuff that is made in China, Japan etc.  They don't support American Made. 

I think we might as well settle in to the fact that gas is going to be over $5.00 soon.  It is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.  I don't think it matters who gets in the whitehouse this fall.  Until we can trill in Alaska and off the coast and become more self sufficient in terms of oil, we will be paying through the nose.  :-\

Fluffer