Gas Prices

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

The only reason its a mixture of the two is because sometimes, early in the morning when you go to load up you relize you have no fuel, so you go to the gas tanks, to fill up with just enough diesel to make it to town, but then you end up with 1/2 tank because you were messing with the pigs, and then you make it to town and you fill up with road diesel

Shorthorn_Junkie

Someone told me the other day that they heard a projection that said by 2010, we could be paying $7.00 a gallon for regular unleaded gasoline.

Jill

We use red ONLY in the equipment, we live in an area (highly populated) where they stop a lot of trucks and can't afford that BIG fine just to save a little on diesel, but it is tempting fuel prices have just about sucked the profit right out of machine work. 

kanshow

More than once, I've seen them stopping pickups with trailers on sale day and within a mile of the sale barn.  Too risky to use anything but road diesel in the pickup. 

DLD

Shorthorn_Junkie said:
Someone told me the other day that they heard a projection that said by 2010, we could be paying $7.00 a gallon for regular unleaded gasoline.

If that happens, and our economy doesn't grow proportionally enough to support it (highly unlikely, imo), it's gonna be a whole new world. Those of us that cherish our independant rural lifestyle better get ready to either go back to farming and ranching with horses (if we can afford to feed them) or get a job in the city and live in an apartment and commute on the subway, cause that could very well be the end of our kind of life as we know it.

shorthorns r us

I worry about that also.  I think it could be a little different though.  We may be the only ones that won't be standing in soup lines.  The ability to feed and clothe ourselves may be much more important than feeding the world.

$7 fuel would make the cost of harvesting a bale of hay and leaving it in the field about $26/4.5x5 bale.  Makes modern cattle production look a little iffy.

Red, at that price for fuel what would happen to your fees for custom harvesting.

That event will undoubtedly change production agriculture as we know it. 

I think that it would definately bring back the family FARM.

knabe

i heard hillary clinton talk the other night on tv about how we were going to tell the middle east we are not going to take it any more.  nothing specific on whether she was going to drill for oil anywhere or not.  mostly it was about alternative enegry.  she didn't say when that was going to have an impact.  exxon mobile was allowed to combine under clinton's watch.  through consolidation, it of course makes sense they make billions of dollars.  they claim a profit of around 8% a gallon of gas.  currently in CA, we are taxed about 68 cents a gallon.  this seems a little more profit margin to the government than to exxon, who, i can only figure out their only sin is their size.  i saw some probably incorrect stats the other day comparing the 1.6 trillion the government raked in to the profit that oil companies made which was something like 750 billion, which of course isn't really an apple apple comparison, especially salaries to big whigs in the millions.  still, on a scale this large, it's at least interesting who gets targeted for providing solutions to customers' needs/wants.  reduce regulation and disincentives to domestic productivity.

Dusty

kanshow said:
More than once, I've seen them stopping pickups with trailers on sale day and within a mile of the sale barn.  Too risky to use anything but road diesel in the pickup.   

Depending on your fuel mileage and fuel tax level and the fine in your state for first offense  you have tun run about 2000 gallons of red fuel though a pickup without getting caught to pay the first fine($1500) i believe.  Most of the guys I know that have diesel pickups only run red fuel.  They've gone 10-15 years without getting caught so they are  way ahead of the game so far.

Show Heifer

In the midwest they check  fuel tanks quite a bit. Salebarns, state fair, shows, any chance they get.
And I think it is odd, people find a way to cheat on paying taxes for road upkeep, then complain about the roads.....hmmmmmmmmm?
Our county roads are so bad you need a 4X4 pickup to travel them, can't pull a trailer, or get a feed truck in, and yet you don't want to pay for the roads to be maintained??  Farmers around here are even offering to do the labor involved to blade and smooth the ruts but that is illegal. Farmers have offered to pay for gravel and then pay for trucking and do the labor to put it on, but that too is illegal. And yet, they don't want to pay a few cents tax for upkeep. Explain this to me.

Dusty

It's no different than not paying income taxes by deducting 100% the use of a pickup for farm use when you actually use it for recreation or personal use also.  I'm not saying the fine is BS, if you get caught you pay.  It's a game the same as any other tax system.  You should be talking to your county supervisors if your rural roads are junk.  But everyone's rural roads are crap this time of year it's just the way it is.  I can't believe that they won't let the farm level the road.  I know a lot of farmers that clear snow off of their road so they don't have to wait for the county to do it.