get a load of this

Help Support Steer Planet:

MYT Farms

knabe said:
some grass feds out here "harvest" at 24 months. too much genetics optimized on converting high density starch.

MYT, here's some room....

If you're saying what I think, then you are right. There are so many cattle in the U.S. today that have been bred for performance on grain, grass~feds would take a long time to take hold. Now, no one has said here that's what we're heading for, but many people are into the mindset that grass~fed = better beef. Now, I'm no gastronome, and I'm cure there is some weight to their argument. But the beef industry is very focused on producing high quality beef that will finish fast and well on grain. Being an Angus breeder, all I have to do is look through one issue of the Angus Journal to see that folks are trying to get more product per animal and wanting big calves at weaning and at slaughter. Grain diets and genetics are in a much more advanced stage of making calves convert better. They are also making cattle convert grain into better beef. I guess to try and stay sorta on topic, folks locking up cattle and feeding grain to animals ought to do as was mentioned earlier. Make sure we do our part to take ammo away from folks that want to accuse us of poor handling by watching our steps, especially in the show ring where there is the most pressure and the most PETA members watching. Also, do people realize that there are nearly twice the amount of hormones in an older heifer or cow slaughtered than a steer implanted? But there I go again. Hope I didn't run my soapbox on too much.

knabe

MYT Farms said:
Also, do people realize that there are nearly twice the amount of hormones in an older heifer or cow slaughtered than a steer implanted?

good job.

the conversion rate of people understanding and condoning this is something like 1 in 10,000.  even then they outlaw stuff like BSE.  oops, meant BST.

MYT Farms

I'm sorry to go OT here, but that reminds of the time my family and I went to a wedding vow renewal at a friend's house. These people were about as city slicker as they come, and Dad had a ball telling them stories about cowboying all over the Springs and Manitou area before it was so heavily developed. One he really likes to tell is one about him roping a loose bull on the Air Force Academy. To make a long story short, he ended up breaking the bull's neck trying to get it into the trailer, so they killed it and slaughtered it right there. Dad laughed and said, "That bull was crazy!" Well, one guy at the table said, serious as a death itself, "Sounds like it was Mad Cow to me! And you ATE it???" Dad thoughtfully replied, "Yes. We did. But I think it had Mad Bull." The folks around the table were stunned. Couldn't help myself.

simtal

I think something to take from this is be careful who you associate with.  There are a lot of grassfed people on this board. 

MYT Farms

simtal said:
I think something to take from this is be careful who you associate with.  There are a lot of grassfed people on this board. 
Thanks. I'll try to pay attention to whom I am speaking. Occasionally I've ticke doff someone who I didn't even know was there.  :eek:

knabe

simtal said:

i'm a trying to be grassfed beef guy, along with reduced on grain time.  no comment was offensive.  the grassfed stuff i've tried has not been like grain fattened.  you obviously need to minimize direct heat, and utilize sweating.  i like both types and will reach across the aisle for both.

knabe

Maine steer dresses out at 61 percent.
A Maine Anjou steer, that was for a private kill and went through a local butcher, came back with these great figures. The 14 month old steer had a live weight of 550kgs and a carcass weight of 342kgs, which gave it a dressing percentage of 61 percent. The steer was grass fed. The butcher commented on the terrific amount of meat in the carcass with no waste.

this in australia.

Latest posts