Good books for flight or summer reading

Help Support Steer Planet:

fluffer

Red,
Since I know your an animal lover you should get the book "A dog Year" by John Katz.  He has a whole series out and I am pretty sure a dog year is the first on.  They are all true storues about him and this waco border collie that he gets as a rescue. He also has a little farm with some sheep and a donkey so you get to hear about his misfortunes with those as well.  It has all the compontets of a good book- drama, action, comedy, etc.  I really enjoy his books.  It isn't real hard reading either.  Pretty easy to digest.

fluffer

Dutch Acres

The Lone Survivor.  Story of the Seal team that got dropped into Afghanistan.  He was the only one that survived of 4 as they were pursued by 250 Taliban.  Rescue team died also.  Great book but it will bring tears to your eyes.  One of the team received the Congressional Medal of Honor

KCK

I like "Where Have All the Leaders Gone" by Lee Ioccaca.
There is a new guy they are saying will rival Grisham, can't remember his name, but one of his books is "Company Man"
On a romance type front, but not too much, Danielle Steel's Bungalo 2 is good. Just finished it!

chambero

Bernard Cornwell is my favorite author for historical military fiction - he writes about England in partiular.  Everything from Stonehenge to a realistic version of the King Arthur tales through the Napoleonic Wars.  Also has a good U.S. Civil War trilogy.

My favorite western writer - Terry C. Johnston by a mile.  Unfortunately he died a few years ago.

Jeff Shaara has some wonderful trilogies on Civil War, a good book on WWI, and a new trilogy on WW2.

Davis Shorthorns

If you want just a nice easy book that will keep you entertained then about anything by Baxter Black.  Also right now I am reading a book by Jim Hoy called Flint Hills Cowboys Tales of the tallgrass prairie.  I grew up and live in the area that the book talks about and it has more than once brought tears to my eyes just thinking about how it used to be when my great granddad first came here to start ranching.

farmboy

if you like old southern style like 1800's and animals and a good heart wrencher, id suggest the yearling  (clapping) definetly one of my favs

Turkey Creek Ranch

If you like westerns, read Elmer Kelton's Buckskin Line series. There are like 5 books, but i cant remember them all. They are great stories, and are addictive.

red

Zach- read the yearling long time ago. That & the Red Pony make me cry. Old Yeller too

Has anyone read the Ted Bell series?

Red

Will

If you like history I recomend the author Stephen Ambros.  I have read most of his books and my favorite is Courage Undaunted. 

SWMO

Anything by Patricia Cornwell. John Grisham.

Also if you are a animal lover and have read all of the James Herriott you would like The Work of Her Hands by Anne Knowles.  I don't know if it is print anymore but you can surely find it at a used book store.

Agree with the Harry Potter books I as an adult really enjoyed them.  Of course, I will read just about anything with a cover.  You could say I'm obsessive about reading.

shortyjock89

Shebet21 said:
I don't have Koontz's new one. You'll have to let me know what you think of it, might have to add it to my list.

Well, shebet, I finished Koontz's new one, and it was pretty dang good.  I would recommend it, especially if you've followed the Odd Thomas "series".  I'm reading A Case of Need by Crichton right now, and I really like it.  Crichton is fast becoming one of my favorite authors.

justme

Red,
Try the Janet Evanovich series about Stephanie Plumb.  They start out as "one for the money" up to book 13, each have a number name.  OMG, so funny.  All are mysteries and she is a misfit bounty hunter.  Not many books make me laugh out loud, but these sure do!

kanshow

There is the Rita Mae Brown  Mrs. Murphy mystery series with Tucker the corgi.    Those are good.     There are like 12 or 13 of them.   

Latest posts