Good headache remedies wanted!

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Need all good headache remedies! I've had this stupid thing for over two days & can hardly function. :'(          It's what I call a stabber, feels like a hot poker in my right eye. I've gone the Tynenol route, used Excedrine Migraine & the Head-on rub stuff w/ no relief. Hate to use anything stronger for the re-bound effect.
Any good home remedies? What do you do if you get a really bad headache?

Red

cowz

Hide in a cool, dark, quiet room with a cool washcloth on your forehead, taking deep breaths.  Try this for an hour and see if it helps.  Works for me...mine are always stress related.

Jill

I get really horrible headaches too and for some reason they are almost always on the right side.  I usually start with the milder stuff, don't even waste time with Tylenol anymore it seems to never work.  I have found that Benadryl allergy and sinus headache will usually work if Hydracodine does the trick and every once in a while I get one that nothing works on :'(.  Good luck, those headache are miserable!  

red

Dark doesn't work. I'll try the allergy medicine since my ear is a little plugged up too.
I hate these things. Have had them for a week before hoping this isn't one of those times.

Red

Doc

Red, I truly feel for you. I get migraines which I take a daily med. to try & prevent them. If that doesn't work then I take Imitrex  & usually take a sinus/headache medicine at the same time also. :(

red

thanks Doc but Imitrex is something I can't take.
I took another Excedrine & the allergy/sinus tablets, can at least wee out of eye. Now if I can just get rid of the nausea. What do you take daily?

Red

Gypsy

Hi Red -  I too get the nasty things.  Sometimes when I know one is coming on (weird vision etc) I can head (ha ha) it off with a couple of aspirin and a coke (caffeine).  I used to have some success with advil but because of overconsumption for another unrelated ache I found that advil actually started GIVING me headaches.  :mad:  Tylenol is like taking an m & m for me.  Do you know what causes them for you?  I had one  yesterday that was easy to link to overindulgance in the chocolate cake I had made the day before.    :(

Doc

Red, I take 100mg of Neurontin twice a day.It works pretty good. I still get them, but not near as often.Hope you get to feeling better. :)

red

Doc, I used to take 800mg of Neurontin three times a day! No thank you! glad it works for you but I got so many side effects I can't take it either.

Gypsy, yes caffeine does help some. I think I'm finally winning the battle!
I think the change in the barometer affects me more than anything. Stress also brings it on. Not eating another no-no for me.

Red

DLD

I sometimes get really bad tension headaches - they start in the back of my neck and work their way up from there, and if I don't get it taken care of pretty quick, it'll work it's way up to a full blown migraine. Usually if I can catch it early and take just otc migraine pills and get some ice on it and just rest for an hour or two, I can keep it under control. The best thing I've found is if I can get in the shower, and run it on the back of my neck, alternating between warm and cool water for at least 15 or 20 minutes, it really helps alot. Something about opening up contracted blood vessels or something like that. Drug wise, if it does get to migraine stage, tylenol 4 or something else with codiene seems to be the only thing that really helps me.

My sympathies are with those of you who suffer chronic headaches, I've had 'em all of my life.

David

mommacow

Red,

have you considered going to a DO or a Chiropracter?  I used to get headaches like that ALOTTTT and then had a car accident nobody would see me except my chiropracter and the ER (which I was not going to the ER) so I started seeing the Chiro and do not get headaches like I used to. (side note: I have not gone to the DC for 3 yrs as insurance changed) I now go to a DO who treats not only your symptoms, but your whole body.

For a headache I take 3 Ibu's and 1 tylenol.  If at all poss. I take a tylenol PM and sleep it off.  I also rub flexall 454 or horse linement since they no longer make flexall on my neck, the smell relaxes me and the heat helps my neck muscles relax.   Good luck!!  I feel for ya.

Oh and drink LOTS of water!! That could be some of the problem.

Show Heifer

I lOVE advil.....but since that doesn't work for you I tell you my "big dog headache" cure.

Get a ice cold slushy pepsi, drink. Take a long (and I mean LOOOONNNNNGGGGG) HOT shower (as hot as you can stand it) then lay in front of a fan and dry yourself with the fan. This will also obviously cool yourself too!  Lay as still as you can until you roll over and dry the other side.  Whole process is usually an hour, and 99% of the time, the headache is gone.
In the winter, just the opposite, cool shower, lay in front of heater.  Keep the slushy pepsi though.
Can't tell you why it works, but it does, at least for me.
Hope your feeling better by now! :p

justintime

Red,
I hope you are feeling a little better by now. My wife can get some real bad migraines,and she has found that if she takes Tylenol Ultra or Aleve as soon as she suspects that she is getting one, she sometimes can stop it in it's tracks. Ultra is the only form of Tylenol that has any affect on her, and I would say the same for myself. We cannot buy Aleve in Canada, as it is not licenced here. Last year we bought some in the US, not knowing it was not legal in Canada. The one and only time we have had our vehicle searched in probably 10 years, and the border agent found it. For a few moments I thought he was going to seize my truck but I think he was just giving us his " I have more power than you have" impression.( What is it about a high school dropout that gets a uniform and a badge?) We waited while he filled out several forms and listened to his agonizing speech about the penalties involved in smuggling, he finally told us we could continue on home. She still makes sure she has some Aleve in her purse when we travel in the US>
I can get some bad headaches, but luckily, they only come 2 or 3 times a year, but they totally drain me . I have found that T ULtra at the first sign of one also can stop it. I also find some heat on my neck helps. My wife says cold on her neck helps. Hope you are back to feeling good soon!

red

Thanks to all am feeling better. Talked to doctor & going to try 100 mg of Neurontin. Don't think it's enough to give me side effects.
I took so many remedies yesterday, not sure which worked. Weather plays a big factor & we got a heck of a storm last night. I'm feeling much better but still tend to go off to one side when walking.
Now if we can just figure out how to get me through my dentist appt today!!!!

Red

sawboss

Red I am not making light of your headache or pain, but thought I would post this remedy after your Texan joke.  Take what we hicks call a Texas Aggie aspirin.  Place your exposed right big toe on an anvil and strike hard with a hammer!  Hurts like the dickens, but you will forget all about your headache!  LOL!

genes

Who were the subjects of those studies  :D?   

Glad to hear you are on the way out of it Red....it can't be pleasant.