Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

http://www.browarny.com/legacy/video.html

http://www.browarny.com/legacy/video/clip16.html

http://www.browarny.com/legacy/Video/clip10.html

http://www.browarny.com/legacy/video/clip15.html

http://www.browarny.com/legacy/video/clip27.html

red

great OB! I love looking at the older Fullbloods. Makes me wish XXCC was closer!

Red

Telos

OB, Darco is a Maine bull that I thought could have been utilized more. He was one of the biggest ribbed bulls to be imported. DJ Bullseye go back to Darco, but he is rarely found in pedigrees. Dollar II sure was skimpy in the testicle department and his genetics could sometimes be associated with fertility issues, but was nicely put together and attractive. A lot of Fullblood breeders liked the Coca Cola bull, but I do not like the way he travels and he appears to be arthritic in his video clip.

If you look at the other part of Browarny's site, you will see a photo of the fullblood Maine bull Vainqueur which Browarny took in France after he won the Paris Ag Show. I think he is a super looking beef bull and his genetics are in the Maine bull, Poplar Haven Smithbuilt and is rarely traced back to anything else. Only One or two of his Daughters or Grand Daughters were ever imported. Barkhurst, the Shorthorn breeder from Wyoming used a maternal grandson.

Jill

It may just be the clip, but Coca-Cola to me looked like he REALLY sloped from hooks to pins, didn't travel well at all.

Telos

Jill - The experienced Fullblood breeders tell me Coca Cola was a pretty good calving ease bull and his daughters were maternal, but I'll have to agree with you on his structure.

xxcc

part of the way coca cola walked was that he was stubborn and fat as a hog at the time of that video.  i had a coca cola grandson that was the same way, you had to drag hiim around everywhere.  i haven't had any problems selling progeny out of that breeding.

i have three darco calves on the ground right now.  in my book, the verdict is still out.  yes Coca Cola was calving ease.  at 93# he was the lightest birthweight bull imported from France.  Darco weighed 101 and I thought he might pass that on.  the lightest of the three bulls was 106# at birth.  they are kinda little meatwagons, but they are sure a different style than i'm used to.

telos, you saw three Coca Cola calves in FW.  pick them apart for me.  i know they weren't pushed on grain, but i thought they did ok. in the future, i think what i need to do is leave my best two at home and ram the feed to to the next ones in line to, i guess do what you're supposed to, have show animals.

red, i don't know if you'll drool or not, but i have two fullblood cows that i am going to retire into ET land.  i may breed them naturally again, but they have some age on them and i want to flush them to as many bulls as i can.

OH Breeder

Telos said:
OB, Darco is a Maine bull that I thought could have been utilized more. He was one of the biggest ribbed bulls to be imported. DJ Bullseye go back to Darco, but he is rarely found in pedigrees. Dollar II sure was skimpy in the testicle department and his genetics could sometimes be associated with fertility issues, but was nicely put together and attractive. A lot of Fullblood breeders liked the Coca Cola bull, but I do not like the way he travels and he appears to be arthritic in his video clip.

If you look at the other part of Browarny's site, you will see a photo of the fullblood Maine bull Vainqueur which Browarny took in France after he won the Paris Ag Show. I think he is a super looking beef bull and his genetics are in the Maine bull, Poplar Haven Smithbuilt and is rarely traced back to anything else. Only One or two of his Daughters or Grand Daughters were ever imported. Barkhurst, the Shorthorn breeder from Wyoming used a maternal grandson.

Great piece of history.
Could not find the Vainqueur pic.
THANK you for the info though on the others. I cut and paste all this information that people put on here for future reference, like JIT's post and others. MUCH APPRECIATED!

knabe

www.browarny.com

go to legacy section

go to gallery section

3rd row middle black and white picture.

he was never collected and died in france

for reference, 1460 kg is 3212 pounds.

Telos

xxcc said:
part of the way coca cola walked was that he was stubborn and fat as a hog at the time of that video.  i had a coca cola grandson that was the same way, you had to drag hiim around everywhere.  i haven't had any problems selling progeny out of that breeding.

i have three darco calves on the ground right now.  in my book, the verdict is still out.  yes Coca Cola was calving ease.  at 93# he was the lightest birthweight bull imported from France.  Darco weighed 101 and I thought he might pass that on.  the lightest of the three bulls was 106# at birth.  they are kinda little meatwagons, but they are sure a different style than i'm used to.

telos, you saw three Coca Cola calves in FW.  pick them apart for me.  i know they weren't pushed on grain, but i thought they did ok. in the future, i think what i need to do is leave my best two at home and ram the feed to to the next ones in line to, i guess do what you're supposed to, have show animals.

red, i don't know if you'll drool or not, but i have two fullblood cows that i am going to retire into ET land.  i may breed them naturally again, but they have some age on them and i want to flush them to as many bulls as i can.

XXCC, your Coca Cola calves were right on the money and very sound and I really liked them even better then the Grand and Reserve bulls (they were just greener and not made from a feed bucket). I always appreciated The Coca Cola's out at JJN's ranch too; Square made and bigger ribbed then the average. Never once did I see one that was bad on their feet and legs. I just did not like the way he walked in the video and appeared that he wasn't sure footed.

I do think we could of taken better advantage of some of those original bulls even though they were harder calving. When crossed on Angus or even Chi Angus and selected for better calving ease they could be ahead because some of those bulls had a better phenotype then some of those Novino lines and a few others. Darco really interest me because one, he wasn't used much and is a real outcross plus I think his design is suited for today's type of cattle with more internal rib dimension. I know there is give and take when breeding these cattle up.

justintime

I had a few Coca Cola calves but I was never real fond of any of them.I only used him becaue he was brought in to be a calving ease Maine sire. It was about this time that many of the original Maine bulls were being slaughtered in the public opinion "gossip" of the day as being cow killers. Gencor,Western Breeders, CIAQ and a few other AI co-ops brought Coca Cola in hoping he would be the savior to save the breed at the time. ... he maybe helped some in this regard, but he had a few faults himself. He did look just like he liooks on the video... he did slope excessively from hooks to pins ... he did have rear legs that were curved and when he stood in a pen, he seemed to have them up under him so he was really hard to to get a good look at.He was not a big bull... probably closer to the same size as Cunia. Coca Cola did leave some daughters that were solid producers and they seemed to have better udders and more milk than females from some of the other sires. I don't remember any Coca Cola sons that left any impression with me... and that maybe tells the story... or maybe it says something about me!

OH Breeder

knabe said:
www.browarny.com

go to legacy section

go to gallery section

He really looks like a tank. Stout and ton of muscle. Never collected, ouch.

Shorthorn_Junkie

Wow!  I had no idea that there was old film footage of some of those legendary bulls. 

It was  good seeing Mandalong Superflag on there also. 

Thanks for posting this Ohio Breeder, and for sharing with us.  (clapping) (thumbsup)

OH Breeder

I wish that their was a way to seach for progeny on the maine site like the shorties and the others.
I did find on the shorthorn site one off spring registered from Vainquer. #102198 Fabico

OH Breeder

Shorthorn_Junkie said:
Wow!  I had no idea that there was old film footage of some of those legendary bulls. 

It was  good seeing Mandalong Superflag on there also.   

Thanks for posting this Ohio Breeder, and for sharing with us.   (clapping) (thumbsup)

I would bet that ABS has some footage on TPS Coronet Leader. I think it is really cool. Peice of history that is perserved and now on the internet floating around forever.
Not a problem SJ.

Joe Boy

I got my papers a couple of weeks ago on my "Thunderbolt 742T" bull that I bought from Mike (XXCC) and he is now looking better every week.  I have not had him on feed but he is getting thicker with time.  His grandsire is Coca Cola.  He is made like we want bulls to be made today.  He is moderate, long enough, and thick with a small head.  I will admit that he was not as pretty as I wanted him to be when he got here, but right now he is the best looking bull at his age that I have ever bought.  Thanks Mike... and he travels well, there is no slope to him.  I do lots of carpenter work and he is as level as they come.  I think you would have to look a long way before you found a 95+% bull with a better modern look with the great maternal numbers.

Mike, I will be using him as a clean up bull on some heifers next month.  He is stubborn at times, but he would rather be with the girls than the boys he is with more than any of the other bulls.

Joe Boy

After watching Coca Cola walk and knowing he was in a bull stud farm and remembering the way some of the more popular bulls look now in such a place, I think he walked pretty good compared to way some walk today.  You can tell he did not want to walk and that he lumbered along.  I liked his condition and to see how moderate he was compared to some of the other older bulls of his day.

simtal

The hereford bull Justamere P Legend looks awesome, although he is extremely fat!  Take that couple inches of lard off of him I wonder what he'd look like.

Telos

OH Breeder said:
knabe said:
www.browarny.com

go to legacy section

go to gallery section

He really looks like a tank. Stout and ton of muscle. Never collected, ouch.

"Vainqueur" stayed in France although a few of his descendants made it to the North American continent. Smithbuilt's dam is a distant descendant. EPL Prospector a fullblood, is as close a descendant sire as I have seen with Maine registration other then a couple of cows. Barkhurst Shorthorns in Wyoming used him fairly extensively. I think Knabe has secured some of his semen. A bull owned by DRCC in Oklahoma has probably the most concentrated bull of Vainqueur breeding in existence (on the maternal side) which is their Wild Turkey bull a PHAF Irish Whiskey son. He was show bull of the year a few years ago. TLM Bouncer's dam also goes back a number of generations to a great cow which is of Vainqueur relationship. It is hard not to imagine Vainqueur was a bull that had good maternal merit even though he looks very well muscled.

ShowinT

those videos are really interesting to watch.  I would like to know if there is a video of NERO out there anywhere because i would love to see that.