H.E.L.P!!!!!1

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

I have been having trouble getting my steer to eat his grain for a while and here we are 30 days from weigh in and he's like 100 pounds too light.  I am feeding him a three way sweet feed, beet pulp, and alfalfa hay.  The beet pulp is wetted down when fed, i have tried milk replacer(heard it was good for putting on weight).  I need suggestions!!!!!!   

red

30 days is cutting it close to try & do too much changing of feed. Have you tried cooking corn/barley in a slow cooker or crock pot? Also some people have gotten real good results w/ adding some soy/corn oil to the ration. Start out by just lightly misting it on to the feed. Then very gradually increase it. You don't want the steer to go off feed or get too loose.
What percentage of protein is your sweet feed? Sometimes you can adjust it w/ going to a 10% corn or barley blend. Just make all changes very gradual as to not throw him off feed!

Best of luck & let us know if you have any other questions.

Red

By the way  (welcome)

renegade

Well, the sweet feed has a min. on the tag of 10 % protien.  I have heard of vegetable oil on the feed - is corn and soy better?  I really hope he makes wieght because he is a really nice hereford steer.

P.S. I am going to start crossing charlois(i think thats how you spell that) with my hereford bull - any comments on that?

red

I personally always liked corn oil better. If you can find flavored that makes the palability even better. Cherry seems to be the hot flavor for horses & cows, although mine never admited to a preference. Just take it very, very gradually. Like I said just mist it on at first & then just lightly add it & mix the feed before you feed it. If you don't find flavored, you can add a drop of cherry flavoring to the oil.

As far as the cross breed. I see benefits to both breeds. It just depends on what bull & how good your cow is.

Best of luck!

Red

Jill

1. get rid of the beet pulp, it is a filler, if your wanting to put on weight you don't need it.  2. I would switch from alfalfa hay to just brome prarie or whatever grass hay is avalible in your area, alfalfa is really high in protein.  Cutting those 2 out should make a huge difference.

renegade

How much barley or corn should i cook?  Then do i add that to his current ration?  How does anyone feel about using calf manna on a steer - i heard it was good for adding weight.  If i do cut the beet pulp should i up my sweet feed and the alfalfa is longer stemed with some grass - should i still change.  Does anyone feel it is possible to put that weight on him in that time????

red

3 pounds ADG is very resonable. As long as you don't try to make to sudden changes. I always felt that calf manna gave them some extra bloom but I wouldn't subsitute his feed for it.
Yes, replace the beet pulp w/ his regular feed. But do it gradually or you can throw him off more.
If the hay has some grass in it you should be OK but I too like to feed a really grassy hay to my show calves.
Also try incresing his feed so that he is cleaning it up each time. When he gets so he's cleaning it up, add another pound & then wait for him to lick it clean.

Red

red

read this thread on cooking corn.

http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php/topic,783.0.html

Red

renegade

What are the pros of feeding a really grassy hay vs. a mix/strait alfalfa?  Do you feel it would be benificial to add calf mana to the ration?  Do people place steriods into their show steers?  I havent been showing steers long and i was wondering.

red

when you say steriods do you mean implants? Like Ralgro in the ear?

A grass hay will give them fill more than alfalfa. Also in my opinion doesn't make them as loose.

Calf Manna doesn't hurt. Especially if they like it. Gives you some extra vitamins & helps the hair.

Red

red

no, your steer in general. No fever, isn't going off feed, coughing, scours, etc...
Has he been wormed?
this might help too:  http://www.steerplanet.com/content/view/16/
Red

renegade

Well, there is no fever or anything of that sort. He was wormed before i puchased him in november and then i think they gave another wormer at our first weigh in in febuary. Where would i get revalors and probios and is it something i can administer?

red

probiotics is something like Sullivan's Appetite Express. Which comes in a gel or ganules formula. There are many different brands. Check w/ your feed store of a place like TSC.
On the implants, I'd check w/ your vet or a person w/ experience in putting them in the ear. You need more information than I'd like to give you over the internet.
Can you talk w/ a 4-H or FFA adivsior? Or a local cattleperson that can give you some tips on the implants.

Red

renegade

I have several connections but i just wanted to see what you had to say. Those people are who would be putting the implants in. I didn't want to look like an idiot asking them if i could implant my steer if that was a bad thing at this point :))). This web site is a good resource.

red

you are fine! It is best to ask & learn. No one here thinks you are stupid. I am world famous for asking the dumbest questions!
I am glad you found us & let us help you whenever we can.

(welcome)

Red

renegade

THANKS its really hard to find a"mentor" of sorts around here.  There is one or two families that are a big help as far as showing and the guy i buy my cattle from doesn't show. My advisor and i dont usually see eye to eye and she is - putting it lightly- a stinking twit who doesn't know anything about animals - this is her second year teaching. Everyone else doesn't really want to give away their secrets; god forbid their kids have a little competition.

red

no problem. Give your teacher some patience. She may just be in the learning stage.

Try googling the information about the implants. You can find a lot just by doing that.

Like I said, best of luck! I'm going to take of my new calf right now. Talk to you later.

Red