Harvest & misc...

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

We finished chopping this week. Started into corn harvest w/ some custom work. We're shelling corn right now but they'll be also cutting beans at the same time. With so many acres we run 2 combines.

I've been really busy w/ the show heifers. Have had some great people stop by to check them out. Am pleased to say I've sold 2 of them just off the farm. Have several more interested in the 2 that haven't been weaned yet. Also have sold some feeder steers from the farm for 4-H projects. Still have some really nice ones left, just not broke.

Went clothes shopping w/ my sister-in-law. I wanted something special for the Maine Banquet at Louisville. Was quite a riot w/ me trying on clothes. No one carries dresses anymore. Guess woman don't wear them. did find 2 nice outfits so I may be presentable.

Everyone take care during harvest & around their cattle. I took a bad spill this week leading a heifer & got the bones shook up pretty good. I know both Jill & Justme's family have had some accidents w/ cattle too. Keep safe!

Red ;D

red

I'm also walking the corn fields that have been shelled. Picking up the ears of corn left behind. Farmers like it because I remove the left over ears for next year & cows love me!

Red

shortyjock89

We're in the middle of harvest too...dad has been doing corn until two days ago, and we switched to beans for a while...we don't have too many acres (only 1100 or so), but it keeps us busy for a little while.  We also sold about 7 cows recently because the winter is gonna be tough with no hay.  I've been working on the new heifers and the bull we're showing.  On top of that , I had my first college Midterms last week..those were a  huge headache, but now they're over and I can relax a little bit..I hope everything is going well with everyone..and Red..do you know how Justme's husband is doing now? I hope he gets well really soon.

red

We are cutting both beans & corn. The first field of beans has been great. We're looking at 80 bu/acre. Unheard of here in our clay ground.
Justme's husband went back to work today. He is on a blood thinner so has the be very careful. The puppies are getting fat & sassy.

Red

shortyjock89

Blood thinners arent fun...I gotta be on them forever, but its not horrible.  I am glad he's back to work though.  I wonder how much trouble those pups get into....

knabe

do you guys plante GMO's for beans?  according to magazines, the penetration is above 80% of all beans.  and if so, how are they for weed control and how much less herbicide is used and who gets the money for that?  more money for seed tothe seed company.  do you veryify you don't hold any back and eenter a contract so you do don't get sued, and do neighbors who don't use GMO's do anything to protect their lots from pollen drift, or is that a problem in beans?

red

Knabe- not a problem in beans. We do plant some GMO hybrids in both corn & beans.

Red

common sense

red said:
I'm also walking the corn fields that have been shelled. Picking up the ears of corn left behind. Farmers like it because I remove the left over ears for next year & cows love me!

Red

Red, I haven't heard you say which one you picked out yet.  I am guessing that these pups will be ready by Louisville!  Maybe Poolie would ignore the kitten if he had a new playmate?!!

red

LOL! I want one so bad but since they are about the size of a cat, I'm just not sure how Poolie will react. I hate to try it out. I also don't wish anything bad to happen to him but may just have to wait for another litter. Of course, they always have puppies at Louisville so maybe the hubby will see a really cute one & be talked into it! I would love one of Gidget's though. Her daughter would be so excited that "Aunt" Cathy had one of her pups.

Red