Has anyone ever done this?

Help Support Steer Planet:

simtal

Since we have a great number of shorthorn enthusiasts on this board, has anyone ever bred 734 or any of his sons to a shorthorn cow  and if so, what did ya get.

Throttle

Would like to know as well. I just bred a 734 cow to Final Solution. This is a real small, big middled cow. Liked my handful of Final Solutions on my shorties. The bulls were real stout and the heifers have some width and body but stayed feminine. Only gripe  i had was that they might be a tick big. Will it work on a small Meyer cow? Hope so.

garybob

simtal said:
Since we have a great number of shorthorn enthusiasts on this board, has anyone ever bred 734 or any of his sons to a shorthorn cow  and if so, what did ya get.
No, but, bred a Black, blazefaced Simmi cow (unknown Simmental genetics, her dam was from the sale barn) to Oaklawn Dreamworks (the best Shorthorn bull I ever owned). Kept getting steers. Some black, some red, none roan, and all of 'em had the blaze face marking form the ol' cow. Purty good calves.

GB

GONEWEST

YEARS ago, our embryologist flushed a really small, thick, great necked, kinda solid red roan calf to 734. Some were pretty ugly in color but he had two state champion steers and also sold some to Jirl Buck who resold them for really good money. Never got a heifer he wanted and never expected good steers.  It was just a good cow .Still has eggs in the tank from way back, I think.

shortdawg

I saw a heifer out at WHR one year that was a Sonny out of a Meyer Daughter or Meyer out of a Sonny Daughter(?). She was pretty good. Looked a lot like a Simmy.

Doc

Not 734 , but several years ago Buchholz Bros. had some Shortie / Simmi crosses, one hfr. called Butterfly was a smoker.

Latest posts