Has anyone tried...........

Help Support Steer Planet:

simtal

Has anyone tried making some kind of crossbred calf that has some degree of waygu in it?  I was wondering if say a 1/8 blood waygu 3/8 angus 1/4 simmy 1/4 charolais would work (or some other combination).  If you could get the ability of waygu to grade (hell even half) combined with traditional breeds that would be really valuable (and still black). tell me what you think.

fluffer

Yes, we have.  We actually have a 1/2 waygu heifer calf on the ground right now.  I will caution you though, we have been trying for 3 years to get a calf.  On average we AI 5 cows per year to Waygu and this is our first calf (we hope, she could be clean up, but I think waygu gestation is a little different and she looks a little different then all the other calves)  But back to point, the semen I believe is not very good quality or something to only get 1 calf in roughly 15 breedings.  I have bought different semen from different places.  It isn't easy to find either.

The only reason we breed to it is for my dad.  He purchased a few cows for us to breed for him.  He only wants the good quality meat. 

While I was at OSU they were doing a test on Waygu and they used a 1/2 angus, 1/2 waygu and that seemed to work pretty good.  The cattle grew well and graded pretty good too.  I spent quite a bit of time grading them on the hoof and rail.  You wouldn't have been able to tell they were 50% waygu by looking at them, but I remember that they are very hard to evaluate on foot in terms of carcass value.  For some reason the fat and muscle composition is different then what we were used to, we were typically off quite a bit on the fat thickness and muscle mass in a live animal compaired to its carcass measurements.  Just a side note.  From my experience you would be fine with a 50/50.  You could through a little simmi in there too, but I would still keep the 50% waygu in the equation.  I of course assume your looking at waygu for the meat?

Fluffer

CAB

Alan Zellmer, Atlantic,Iowa, 712-243-6589. should be able to get you semen or bulls. He run a custom feedlot and all they feed are Waygu X cattle. He will write contracts to people wanting to produce calves for his business.

knabe

fluffer said:
For some reason the fat and muscle composition is different then what we were used to, we were typically off quite a bit on the fat thickness and muscle mass in a live animal compaired to its carcass measurements.
Fluffer

i would totally expect this.  this is true to a lesser extent with holstein's.  with the utilization of the bovigen panel, it won't be necessary to use waygu to get them.  it's pretty clear you get a phenotype the more of their markers you have.  to unwind this phenotype, it won't be necessary to use waygu, and in fact, may just prolong the process.

if you look at sears angus, it's pretty easy to believe that they might be waygu, but they're angus.

http://www.searsangus.com/GeneSTAR%20Bulls.htm

some of these pics might download slow on land lines.

or

http://www.saltcreekranch.com/

fluffer

We are trying to get our version of Kobe beef, not just a good prime carcass.

I guess in Japan, the real deal is so rich that we would get sick if we ate it.  Their grading system goes up to like and 8 and our prime would be equal to their 3 or 4.

Fluffer

CAB

When you say "premium", what does that mean? When you look @ the pop. of Japan compared to land mass, they are going to have to import protien from someone. I'm sure that not all of their pop. can afford Kobe beef. The one thing that I have been told is that the Waygu cattle do not perform well @ all.

fluffer

Not everyone in Japan can afford Kobe beef, that is why they import our lower quality beef.  I would assume

A pb waygu will take over 3 years to finish.  They have a very slow growth curve.  Other then the extramily high quality meat, there is no reason to use them.  Maybe they are like wine  ;)  THey grow slow, but it is worth the wait.

I have been REALLY suprised at the amount of people who are starting to take note of the waygu for Kobe beef.  Some local club calf guys are even thinking about going that route.  I can't hardly believe it.  Like I said before, we only do it b/c my dad had some 1/2 waygu prime rib and it was the best meat he as ever eaten(that is saying A LOT).  So he bought a couple of angus cows to breed waygu to.

Fluffer

4Ts4H

Well, I guess the "premium" is relative.  But, given the choice between importing dairy beef or fat blacks - the Japs only take the fat blacks.  To me then, they are paying a "premium".

IMO - the getting sick from Kobe beef would be due to the MASSIVE amounts of FAT in that type of beef!!!

knabe

CAB said:
The one thing that I have been told is that the Waygu cattle do not perform well @ all.

heard reports of under 1lb/day on grass versus outrageous claims of some fullblood maines at over 5 on grass, probably extremely high quality grass in high rainfall environments.

shorthorns r us

the japanese beef industry is mostly divided in two segments: calf producer and feeder.  most finished waygu calves are sold at the central wholesale meat market in Tokyo.  most of the calves sale on the rail for $6400 - 7300 per carcass.  last years average price was $13/cwt.  waygu cattle come in 3 varieties: japanese black, japanese brown & japanese poll.  guess which is most popular; black of course.  The cattle are marketted at 28 - 30 months of age at a weight of only 1000 - 1100 lbs.  carcasses are split between the 6th & 7th rib to be graded.  there are three grades for yield, A, B & C, and five grades for quality, 1 - 5.  A4 & A5 carcasses are the ones that bring the big price.  the reason the outrageously marbled beef is regarded so highly in japan is that it will not dry out when sliced thinly and cooked.  

hawk

fluffer said:
Not everyone in Japan can afford Kobe beef, that is why they import our lower quality beef.  I would assume

A pb waygu will take over 3 years to finish.  They have a very slow growth curve.  Other then the extramily high quality meat, there is no reason to use them.  Maybe they are like wine  ;)  THey grow slow, but it is worth the wait.

I have been REALLY suprised at the amount of people who are starting to take note of the waygu for Kobe beef.  Some local club calf guys are even thinking about going that route.  I can't hardly believe it.  Like I said before, we only do it b/c my dad had some 1/2 waygu prime rib and it was the best meat he as ever eaten(that is saying A LOT).  So he bought a couple of angus cows to breed waygu to.

Fluffer

I judged a county show probably 7-8 years ago in Missouri.  The steers that ended up Grand and 3rd overall on foot had a shot of waygu in them (don't know exactly how much).  They were also grand and reserve carcasses.  I found this info out in visiting with the man that raised them after the show.  They raised quite a few cattle for a premium carcass market on the west coast.  The steers were real nice, not freaky enough to win a major, but certainly practical, big bodied, efficient looking kind with plenty of muscle.

Just thought I'd add that comment.  I am by no means suggesting that all of you go out and implement waygu into your club calf programs. (Ha Ha)

I do know that Ultimate genetics, from Texas, did import a pretty nice looking red bull from Australia if anyone is looking for semen.

4Ts4H

To really appreciate my idea of "premium", take a gander at our company steak sales on our website:  www.pmglobal.com

People actually buy these things!!!  WOW!

red

ForkOrder.gif

Makes me hungry! we get the Omaha steaks as a gift sometimes from companies. I can't honestly say I'd buy them myself.

Red

GONEWEST

Also a reason why the price is so high is that a very small percentage of the land in Japan is used for beef production. It's too valuable. So compared to the number of people in Japan, there is very little beef.  Protein in their diet comes mostly from the sea. Also, in general, Asian countries aren't importing the higher priced cuts of beef. It's mostly the lower stuff that the packers have a hard time making any money on. That's why they are so adamant about our ability to export it.

knabe

not very much land is used to raise the one's on feed.  they are somewhat of an adult veal calf for around 2 years.

what is necessary to house the cows, i don't know.