Hats and Showing

Help Support Steer Planet:

LostFarmer

I think it is obvious that you don't wear a baseball hat when showing but what about a cowboy hat?  I know some Wyoming shows require it.  Our fair says no on pigs but nothing about it for beef.  What is the industry standard out there?

Dozer45

No hats in school, church, at the table, or show rings

To me in todays world profesionals dont really wear hats ( I know it can be differnt for us aggies) but still I tend to look at hats a casual. But if there is a rule requiring it then make sure you do

SFASUshowman

As someone who has seen it from all angles, as a showman, fitter, producer, and judge, I think you have to look at your surroundings...growing up in Louisiana where a lot of Brahman's and Brahman influenced cattle are shown, you often see showmen in those breeds with hats on, however in the British and Continental Breeds and Clubbies you dont see many with hats. 
I think hats are a matter of choice as long as they are clean, in good shape, and worn correctly, however if you are showing in one of the breeds or shows where people dont ussually wear hats, then you have to remember that the hat is probably going to draw a lot of attention...so you must make sure you want a lot of attention on the calf your leading...if you calf is good but has a few minor faults I wouldnt wear the hat because the hat is going to draw the judges eye to you more making it more likely he/she might notice small blemishes.
I personally have never worn a hat in the show ring except when judging and not always even then, but at the same time I dont penalize showmen for wearing hats either!

chambero

I prefer none, but the unwritten rule is if the judge wears a hat then the exhibitor can, otherwise it's not proper etiquette.

FarmerWanna-Be

I think in the cattle world hats should not be worn in the show ring by exhibitors. They hide the showmans face and are a distraction to the judge. They take the judges eyes away from what they should be judging, the cattle, and focus them on the hat which there is no need for. Also many calves being shown in the ring may not be used to hats and this could cause them to become restlest and not show as well.

Dozer45

FarmerWanna-Be said:
I think in the cattle world hats should not be worn in the show ring by exhibitors. They hide the showmans face and are a distraction to the judge. They take the judges eyes away from what they should be judging, the cattle, and focus them on the hat which there is no need for. Also many calves being shown in the ring may not be used to hats and this could cause them to become restlest and not show as well.

Lol this part made me laugh when I saw your picture  (clapping)

Cardinal_Crest_Shorthorns

I personally never wear a hat in the show ring. However I know several people who do and they always follow what the judge does. If the judge wears one the showman wears one, and if the judge doesn't the showman doesn't. Like stated earlier I think it just depends on the surroundings and personal preferences

BDCO

chambero said:
I prefer none, but the unwritten rule is if the judge wears a hat then the exhibitor can, otherwise it's not proper etiquette.

I agree with that, and I think that wearing hats should stick to the open show.

kobo_ranch

When I was a kid showing in the 70's I remember my awesome County Agent... always wore his hat way back oh his head.  He was a gem of a man and helped all us kids with all his heart.  He totally believed part of being a good showman showing cattle required wearing a hat.  Cowboys/Cowgirls wear hats.  Or they did back then.  So being a lover of the western lifestyle I see nothing wrong with wearing a hat.. if like one of the other posters said its in good taste and looks nice.  I went even farther back in those days when I showed and had special western outfits made for me and wore a matching hat.  Those were the days!  How I miss them, and that county agent... so wish they made more of 'em like that today. <cowboy> <cowboy> <cowboy>

RAShower

If girls can wear bling when the judge isn't then us guys can wear a cowboy hat!! 8)

We look dull enough next to the neon flash some of these gals wear.

JMHO

LostFarmer

Thanks for the input.  My boys are small 9 and 11 in 4-H years so a big old hat on them ans you loose the kid.  They are not much for wearing hats anyway so to not need one is better.  I just didn't want to have them marked down for not.  So not hats for them and that makes life easy for me.  LF

afhm

I've always been kind of surprised there wasn't some sort of universal dress code for showing cattle like there is in the horse world.  I know there are some associations that have a type of one but nothing real strict.

rackranch

I agree with your choice and feel that hats are a no no... Also,  my daughter always wears long sleeve shirts during showmanship or any big show no matter how hot it is... lastly, someone mentioned bling, I also feel bling is a no no... keep it simple and don't wear anything distracting..that includes loud show sticks... my 2 cents

LostFarmer said:
Thanks for the input.  My boys are small 9 and 11 in 4-H years so a big old hat on them ans you loose the kid.  They are not much for wearing hats anyway so to not need one is better.  I just didn't want to have them marked down for not.  So not hats for them and that makes life easy for me.  LF

iowabeef

The Iowa Junior Beef Breeds Association does not allow hats at any of their shows.  I believe it is the same for the 4-H at the Iowa State Fair...

FarmerWanna-Be

Dozer45 said:
FarmerWanna-Be said:

Lol this part made me laugh when I saw your picture  (clapping)

It tool so long to get that picture. He only had the hat on for literally a second and we luckily got the picture. haha

kobo_ranch

RA Drover said:
If girls can wear bling when the judge isn't then us guys can wear a cowboy hat!! 8)

JMHO
I agree sweetheart... being a Mom of two boys personally I'm tired of all the bling and lacey sexy shirts the girls get to wear... and I'm thinking some of those judges are looking and pulling them before taking a good enough look at there steer!? :-\

Cardinal_Crest_Shorthorns

kobo_ranch said:
RA Drover said:

JMHO
I agree sweetheart... being a Mom of two boys personally I'm tired of all the bling and lacey sexy shirts the girls get to wear... and I'm thinking some of those judges are looking and pulling them before taking a good enough look at there steer!? :-\
I agree, it seems almost impossible to beat girls in showmanship. Not that theyre not good, but I think the bling and more revealing shirts give them an advantage

walter

30 years ago in America I chose what kind of hat I put on my head in the show ring. 

30 years ago the people decided if they put on a hat or not.
Today we are being told what to do in the show ring. I like the old America with freedom to chose a lot more.

Silver

When you are showing you shouldn't be trying to get noticed, you should be trying to get your calf noticed. That's what a good showman does. The whole "you can wear one if the judge does" rule is bogus. I used to think that it was alright, but then we had a judge wear sunglasses so all the senior showman decided to do the same, but it turned out she was just wearing them because she just had lazer eye surgery.