Hauling a grooming chute

Help Support Steer Planet:

LazyGLowlines

I would like to see or hear how you all haul your grooming chutes. Do you pack it inside your trailer or attach to the outside? Did you make brackets to do this? I have a Wilson 24'GN that is riveted and it's easy to grind off the rivet head and replace with stainless nuts and bolts. I'm tired of fighting the chute inside and would like to maybe mount on the outside if possible.

herfchic

We put the chute inside the trailer and then put the showbox, generator, fans, maybe hay, inside the chute.  We use ramps for the chute and the generator, so it is not that difficult to handle.

ShowStopper

My dad found that if you turn the head tie upside down and lock it in place that it is much easier to wheel around. It give you more leverage. We always just loaded the chute in the trailer fully assembled with the tack box chairs generator and so in packed inside the chute. I couldn't imagine trying to wrestle the steel chutes onto the side of the trailer.

Jill

When traveling long distances we found that the trailer was always full, so we welded a bracket to the front (in front of the tire) outside edge of the running board on the trailer.  It holds 2 chutes side by side and then we strap to the top of the trailer.

farmboy

aluminum chute goes in first and is tipped on the side and pushed against the wall after the calves are loaded then everything else goes in. its pretty easy. its easier to move fully assembled too

BCCC

We haul ours on the side. We made some brackets and bolted them on.  here are some pictures. On the Back of the chutes there is two peices of square tubing going up 7 foot, if I could do it I would make it 7.5 foot or so because once you get it up and go to it drops off the square tubing. On the Fan Cage mounts its supposed to be resting on the brackets but the measurments are wrong so it only rests on the lower on. The straps need to be replaced about ince a year. And the Yellow chain isn't going to stop some one from stealing them since its plastic chain. Also when loading them a second person is WONDERFULL!!

2376501004.jpg

2376501003.jpg

2376501005.jpg

Jill

We have a bracket down where your wheels are sitting that holds it to the running board.

amss101

Jill--I second the pictures if you have time...sounds interesting and I can't quite picture it.  But I appreciate the post as we're about to have the same lack of space issue.

yousesteers

Chute goes inside ussually set up with generator show box and any thing that will fit inside of it and the fancage on out side hanging on side above fenders chute sometimes gets folded up and throwed on is sside and used as a gate in the trailer depending on # of calves when we started that happened a lot a 16 ft trailer and 5 head with all the tack was full

BCCC

I hate this no space issue!! I need like a 32 foot trailer!! I need a hay rack up top. Also What do you guys do about your fans? I think if I had more room in the nose I could put them there, but as of now thats not going to happen. Thanks alot! No Hi-jack intended

amss101

My husband drives a semi, and we have fiddled with the idea of getting a huge trailer and pulling it behind his tractor.  Put in some living quarters like the horse people.  Maybe a kitchen....let me know if anyone has a sound BIG trailer CHEAP-ha.

BCCC

amss101 said:
My husband drives a semi, and we have fiddled with the idea of getting a huge trailer and pulling it behind his tractor.  Put in some living quarters like the horse people.  Maybe a kitchen....let me know if anyone has a sound BIG trailer CHEAP-ha.
My dad wants to do the samething, But he wants one of the reffer trailers so that they can be in the cooler while on the road, never thought of the living quarters

AAOK

Jill said:
We have a bracket down where your wheels are sitting that holds it to the running board.

We had something similar.  The wheels of the chute go toward the top.  A couple of pieces of L shaped aluminum welded to the outside edge of the running board holds the chute in place.  To anchor the chutes against the trailer we had a piece of aluminum tubing 4" longer than the width of the chute which bolted in place with wing nuts on 1/2" x 10" stainless bolts from the inside trailer wall.  The tubing placement on the chute was about half way up.

We never had the luxury of owning an aluminum chute.  The way I handled the weight issue was to tell my daughters to find some boys to help us load and unload the equipment.  Ah.............the allure of the fairer sex.

simtal

I never liked the look of putting chutes on the side, looks like the circus is coming to town.

If you pull with a flat bed, we've found that chutes can be loaded right in front of the hitch.

BCCC

simtal said:
I never liked the look of putting chutes on the side, looks like the circus is coming to town.

If you pull with a flat bed, we've found that chutes can be loaded right in front of the hitch.
Last Time I checked the crew I hang with could be considered the circus so I guess it completes the look!

bcosu

we manage to haul everything inside the trailer. the calves stay in the front and we shut the middle door so that the slider is what we walk thru. then we put the side panels against the wall on the right and then either the chute on the side or flat with the wheeled box behind the chute and panels. everything loose sits on the chute or in the nose. our fan cart is normally loaded last after we put the calves on cause it is light and is easy for one person. i can load everything by myself too. not going to lie though, brackets on the outside would be nice but i would feel obligated to keep all the stuff clean cause people would see it all the time lol. who really  has time to clean their equipment? ;D

BCCC

Bump....I am needing to make a spot for another grooming chute on our trailer. Looking for ideas

red

ours is on wheels & flods up so we load it w/ a tractor to put it on. We lay it on it's side & slip things like brooms & forks behind it. At the show we have a ramp & unload it that way. When we leave we look pathetic  ::) & usually have people help us load it back up.
We hang the fan cage & gates on the outside of the trailer. He just made some brackets that hook onto the trailer & can hold the equipment.

Red