Hay

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

Tell them to drive north and drop it off at the big white barn....
Puts things in to perspective doesn't it.

garybob

That's all our roots, man! All of us on here descended from the same kind of foundation of working-class folks. Thanks to technology, we are able to do other things.

Malinda

WHOA WHOA WHOA

Red, I am sure you did not intend to put all Amish in the same pot, But I just can't let the bath comment go.

I have lived near and in the middle of Old Order Amish, Old Order Mennonites and Mennonites (the car driving, electricity type) all my life. I have Old Order Mennonites on two sides of me right now. You will NEVER have better neighbors. Many people criticise (not meaning you Red) out of misinformation or ignorance.

A year ago at Christmas a nasty ice storm went thru here and I had no electricity for a week. The first and ONLY people that came to check on me were the Mennonites. I went to their house to take showers; yes, a running water shower. If it were not for the gas burning light in the bathroom, you would have thought I was in my own bathroom. A toilet, sink and a shower with hot and cold RUNNING water.

You need to be in their homes in the evening and see the kids coming out of the bathroom with clean clothes on and wet hair. Then, take a look at the towels on the closeline. There are over 70 Old Order Mennonite families in this area and I only know of one that I would be afraid to eat anything they cooked/canned. I will not criticise an entire community for one family.

The only Amish I know of that you need to stay upwind of live near Bremen, Ohio. They are very primitive and are called the Black Hat Amish.

Well, this post was therapeutic and my blood pressure is down, so i will go feed the critters.

Everyone have a good evening.

Malinda

red

lol, thanks for putting me in my place Malinda!
Actually I was more thinking about the itching of the hay all week!
Some do get a little rank around here but don't we all this time of year!
I guess, our group here does take a bath once a week & on Saturday.
My apologies if I offended anyone. Don't want you to get your bloodpressure up!!

Red

Joe Boy

I grew up stacking hay.  We baled hay for the community.  I made around $650 per summer stacking hay at a penny per bale.  It paid my way through college.  If I stacked by myself I got 2 cents per bale and like that.  Most weighed 85 lbs per bale.  One night I told Dad the hay was too heavy.  He kept going.  I stacked it on a truck the next day and it weighed 98 lbs per bale.  There were some that always cut their hay so we had to bale on Sunday night, but would not get trailers ready or even come to the field until after mid-night.  Their religion was more important than ours to them...it was the hardest night to stack hay after being cleaned up all day...

Red, I planted millet one day this week after weaning calves, weighing them, selling 4 and all that went with that...it was 95 degrees and humid with a heat index of 105.... I stunk so bad that I could not stand myself in the cab of the tractor that evening..... it all washed off.....

I have lived near about 6 different types of Amish, Mennonites, house of David, etc.  They were good neighbors.  Some might have been inbreed with dwarfism, but they all worked and took care of business.  They had a storm relief team and canned food for those affected.  One story I read in the Marshfield, MO news paper while visiting my mother-in-law was about a generator they had to supply electricity for the milk barn for grade A milk.  Draft horses were the horsepower on treadmills that turned the generator for the electricity....real horse power....

I love their four part harmony in the singing.  I have been to funerals where they sang at a neighbors funeral and really did a wonderful job.

They like all of us have bad apples and one such caused me a major financial loss, but it was not intentional but he was not in a position to help me recover my losses.

I loved the photo as it is a part of the history my Dad and father-in-law grew up with.

THANKS.

genes

Those are some big stacks, but I don't think I want to talk about hay.  :mad: Just put 16 wagons of bales into the loft of the barn here at school yesterday and today.  I tell you, square bales are a pain (at least, when it's this hot they are)....we always used round at home so I got out of it there. 

In my dairy nutrition class last year our project was to be a consultant for a farm.  Our group worked with an old order mennonite.  It was a bit odd as he had the electricity in the barn but not the house.  I can't imagine.  I didn't delve into his culture but he was quite progressive when it came to his cows. 

Malinda

Hey Red,

Good to talk with you this morning.

Forgot to tell you we had rain so close last night that I could hear the thunder, but didn't get a drop of precipitation. Adams County is the next county south of me and they are officially on the severe drought list. We are 7 inches short of normal since April 1. Tonight is the dark of the moon, maybe I'll try my rain dance and see what my Cherokee ancestors can do to help.

Great picture of the wagons of hay. About 10 years ago I had the bailer go on the fritz with only about 2 acres of hay to go. I ended up pitchforking that down hay into my truck and pitching it up into the barn. Probably the best hay I ever had; the cows loved it! But never again.....

Praying along with you for rain.

Malinda