Health insurance

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I'm not sure how many of you are full time farmers/ranchers?  My husband is a full time farmer. We used to get insurance through the company I worked for, but since I'm now on disability he has been without any for a while. He's been looking into a health insurance through Farm & Ranch Health Care but it's undecided if they'll insure him. He has some health issues so is also hard to insure. Luckily, I'm getting Medicare right now or we'd be up the creek w/o a paddle!
Does anyone else have problems getting insurance if you're self employed? What are you doing? :-\
Red

cert

This is a good question Red. I'm waiting for the responses too. Hubby worked in a factory for 5 years and we had coverage thru them but it was expensive.
We are both self employed now with not a drop of insurance, life or health.

red

cert said:
This is a good question Red. I'm waiting for the responses too. Hubby worked in a factory for 5 years and we had coverage thru them but it was expensive.
We are both self employed now with not a drop of insurance, life or health.

It is scary Cert. We went w/o me having any for 2 years. Ran up huge bills. Luckily, like I said, I'm on Medicare but still have large bills. Mark (hubby) so far has been healthy but we had a major health issue w/ him 10 years ago.
Check into Farm & Ranch.

Red

cowz

Do you guys have Farm Bureau out there?  Also some of the western state's cattlemen's associations offer health insurance plans.  We use a company named John Alden.  If you form a "group" which shows that the majority of the families members make their living off of the farm or ranch, they will work with you.  See if you can do something like that.  My hubby had health issues too, but if you are part of the "group" they have to take you on.

Random thoughts.  It is a huge problem for the self employed, not just ag folks.

red

cowz said:
Do you guys have Farm Bureau out there?   Also some of the western state's cattlemen's associations offer health insurance plans.  We use a company named John Alden.  If you form a "group" which shows that the majority of the families members make their living off of the farm or ranch, they will work with you.  See if you can do something like that.  My hubby had health issues too, but if you are part of the "group" they have to take you on.

Random thoughts.  It is a huge problem for the self employed, not just ag folks.

Cowz, tried them.  Turned me down when I tried before Medicare. Won't take hubby either. His a paraplegic so they're kind of fussy w/ him.
Red

Show Heifer

I am self employed, and I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield with Farm Bureau. I have a high deductable and it is still expensive (275 per month - 1800 deductable)  I am young (or so I say, and I have NO health problems)! But I guess I look at it as a down payment for when I  really need it. Because when your in the livestock industry it really is a matter of time before you get hurt badly and then the insurance is worth every penny!! (clapping) 

red

But you said the magic word, no health problems. It's a nightmare if you have health problems, even high blood pressure or cholestrol. They can turn you down quick!
Red

Joe Boy

My wife teaches school and I am self-employed.  Neither of us can get insurance on our own but with the school we can because it is a group.  It cost us 1100/month and includes one child.  The state pays an additional 200/per month.  It is terrible but wiouth it we would have some bills that could not have been paid.  She was in the hospital 10 days in December and we are looking at $44,000 in what bills that have come in so far.

I would look at groups for livestock producers or have a connection to farming.  Best wishes.

deep

I too, am self-employed and have medical ins. with Blue Cross-Blue Shield with Farm Bureau.  I am 45 yrs. old and have always been healthy.  Recently I was diagnosed with an uncommon auto-immune disease.  My rheumatologist told me to expect my health ins. to cancel me.  I just don't know what I'll do.

(dog)

deep

I didn't quite get finished on previous post.
I think it really SUCKS when a person goes along for years and is healthy and pays their premiums and then all the sudden something happens with their health and BOOM, the ins. co. cancels them.  Or shoots the premium up so high they cannot afford it !!  Makes me cuss !@#, $%^, &*(.  It's very unfair.

genes

Geez deep....I can't believe that they can do that!  I mean.. you've paid them for years.  That's really awful  :-\

i guess that is one reason I am definitely glad to live in Canada....there aren't any of those giant bills.

Show Heifer

Deep - I am not sure what state you are in BUT, I checked with my agent, and she said it is ILLEGAL for them to cancel you as long as you pay your premiums and NEVER LET IT LAPSE.  You also can not move into another "group". They can not cancel you due to a health related problem.....she did say they probably will raise your rates, but it shouldn't be huge, as you are in a "group" and as long as that group doesn't have many "losses", you should be ok. Keep me posted on this, as this is my HUGE pet peeve.
I have decided the best way to deal with an insurance company is to yell LOUD, carry a BIG stick, and be a royal pain in the $*&W. It works, but does wear one down.
Sorry for your diagnosis, and I hope all is well.

deep

I have done a little checking so far about this insurance deal.  In my state (TN), if you have an individual health insurance policy, which I do because I'm self-employed, they can do pretty much whatever they please.  You can be canceled or your premium can sky rocket, whichever they choose to do, if either.  The diagnosis was determined on 1-31-07, so I do not know a thing yet.  I am expecting the worst regarding the insurance, simply because of what my doctor point blank told me.  I'm not "sick."  Just have been having some minor problems.  Not even having to take any meds.  I guess the insurance companies don't want you if there is a good chance things will probably happen (healthwise) later on.  But then what the heck do I pay my premiums for !!!!  Sucks, sucks, sucks !!!!  I haven't discussed it yet with the ins. agent.  I'm waiting to see what is going to happen.

(dog)

red

The same was after my breast cancer. No one would even talk to us for at least 7 years of being clean. By that time I'd developed more problems so that blew any chance for me.
Good luck Deep, you know I've been thinking of you!!!
Red

genes

That's so sad...I just can't imagine.  I have had a some problems this last year, and like deep I haven't had to medicate or anything, and probably won't have any drastic change, but I still just wouldn't be comfortable without coverage.  I hope they keep you on deep.

deep

Appreciate the thoughts ya'll.  I'll keep you posted on my insurance situation because something like this can happen to any of us. 
Deep

(dog)

knabe

the future of health care run by the government

After weeks of bad news, things turned Barbara Wagner’s way this week.

Last month her lung cancer, in remission for about two years, was back. After her oncologist prescribed a cancer drug that could slow the cancer growth and extend her life, Wagner was notified that the Oregon Health Plan wouldn’t cover it.

It would cover comfort and care, including, if she chose, doctor-assisted suicide.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080603/UPDATE/80603027

genentech says they will supply it for free.

don't think for a minute that the government won't ration health care, particularly for those who are not government employees.

fluffer

I just don't understand how Canada and the UK (I think) have socialized medicine and it is obviously not working but our government for some dumb reason thinks it can work for us.  Yeah, the same government that can not even run a restaurant thinks they should be in charge of our health care.  What is even scarier is that people think this socialized medicine is a good thing.  Seriously if you think that is a good thing- we need to talk  ;)

Fluffer

kanshow

This is a serious issue/ problem for those of us who are self employed.  I know that there was some health insurance available thru the wheat growers assn, small business assn, & those but it's expensive and I know they either won't insure or rider off any serious health issues. 

red

kanshow said:
This is a serious issue/ problem for those of us who are self employed.   I know that there was some health insurance available thru the wheat growers assn, small business assn, & those but it's expensive and I know they either won't insure or rider off any serious health issues.   

that's what has happened to the hubby. Since he's self employed he hasn't found a carrier to take him because of preexisting conditions. Before I went on Medicare I too was turned down by several.

What gets me now is that I pay for both my Medicare health insurance & drug plan. You hit a limit on drugs & you reach a doughnut hole or gap. You have to pay for your med's out of your own pocket until you reach the next level. Two of my drugs are costing me $200 monthly each. I have applied for patient assistance through the drug companies. I'm paying but the they continue to take out the money each month for the drug plan.

Red