Heat

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

Ok I have some cows and heifers, I will be breeding, and I was wondering what was the easiest way to bring them into heat?? I am not sure if some of the heifers have came into heat or not. If I remeber right, I give them a shot of lute, and then i give them another oen a few day later, and they will come into heat?? I am not sure on the days though...

Thanks a lot

shortyjock89

2 cc GnRH, then eleven days later, 5 cc of Lutylase. 72  or 80 hrs later, cow should be ready to breed.  Or, if the cow was in heat more than eleven days ago, you can Lut 'em and breed at 72 or 80 hrs.  I think some people like to breed at 72 and 80...just breed 12 hrs after the cow is standing. That's how we do it anyhow..

OH Breeder

If you get a ABS catalog in the back of the sire directory are all kinds of heat protocols. We use CIDRs.

drl

Iowa Beef Center has some really good stuff online for synchronization. I go there to remind myself once in a while even though I have it memorized what we typically do. They also have a program that works with microsoft excel that is a synchroniztion planner that will map out when to do what and makes suggestions on what to use for different situations.