Heifer Futurities

Help Support Steer Planet:

SWMO

I am looking for information on how other breeds and organizations organize their heifer futurites.  I can find several futurities that are being held on a yearly basis but very little on the actual rules and regulations that are in place for those futurities.  As far as membership, nominations, and numbers.

Are there any steer planeteers that have any experience with breed futurities?

obie105

The Nebraska Hereford state association does a $500 added futurity show in conjunction with their field day every year. It is a seperate show and the only difference is the cattle have to be bought at a state sponsored sale. The breeder pays half the nomination and the exhibitor pays the other part. Most breeders just pay all of it. Has to be nominated at time of sale.

leanbeef

Our Tennessee Simmental Association started a state junior futurity show just last year. In order for heifers to be nominated, they have to sell in either a state sponsored sale (we have one in the spring and one in the fall), or they can sell in a state association member's production sale. No private treaty sale heifers are eligible. I think the nomination fee is $50 before the sale or $100 if she's nominated afterward, and the nomination has to come from the breeder/seller. Our first show was last fall, and it was small. We have both purebred and SimAngus divisions, and the money that goes in the jackpot from the nominations goes toward whichever division the nomination is for. The shows are 100% pay out, with champion of each division receiving 50% of the jackpot for that division; reserve gets 25%, and the remaining competing heifers split the other 25% evenly. Heifers that are nominated and don't show up for the futurity obviously don't get anything back.